How many of us went or are going to our high school reunions?

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested to see who all has skipped them in the past. Call me rude, but anyone I want to hang out with from those days I still do. I don't care to reminisce on old times with those I didn't spend it with. Am I alone?

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I went to my 10 yr. reunion and had a lot of fun. Missed the 20 yr. Nobody got a 30 yr. one put together, but I think there will be a 35 yr. this summer. I'd like to go to this one. It's more about finding out about classmates' lives since high school, not just old times. Most of us probably don't remember those very clearly anyway. Who knows, you might find some other flashaholics. On the down side, we'll all see just how old we look to others. :(

Geoff

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I did not go to the 10 year.
I was working but even if I wasn't I doubt I would of went honestly. I am alot different now from what I used to be, both in personality and how I look. I think I would of gotten more attention that I am comfortable with.
Not to mention that there was a small chance the ex-wife would of went. :green:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
The high school I went to hasn't had one yet for the class of '86.

I chat with the people from high school that I want to on Facebook.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it kinda depends on how many were in your senior class too. I could see the attendance percentage being a bit higher if it were a closer knit community; say for example 15 graduates. There were something like 140 from my senior class and my 10 year is right around the corner. Not married yet so no spouse to bring along. I'm not worried about what people will think of me, but I am a bit leary of spending several hours with people I haven't seen in 10 years and trying to derive interesting conversation out of thin air. Hopefully there's a cash bar. :D

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ours did a 5, 10 and 20 thus far. I went to the 10 and it wasn't enjoyable for me. All was, was showing-off: who made the $$, who gained weight or lost, which gals had the better figure...so shallow. When the 20 came around...no way. If they do a 30, I may be tempted but not likely.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't go myself. High school was absolutely the WORST time of my life, I didn't like the majority of the people then and I doubt if I would now. Took me twenty years to get over what happened to me during that time.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took me twenty years to get over what happened to me during that time.
Man, whatever it was must have been rough. I had an absolute blast, didn't really take it seriously my senior year. I had a 4.0 through junior year, but graduated with a cumulative 3.74 :shakehead I'd do it all over again if I could.

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
Didn't go to my 10, 20 or 30 years reunions, and probably won't be in the area for the 40th. I've kept in touch with my closest friends, and the ones I'd like to re-connect with do not attend, either, so no incentive there. A lot of high school was the kind of crap I like to avoid now, so I've just never been interested. The good friends that I have from then, I will always have.
--Bob

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, whatever it was must have been rough. I had an absolute blast, didn't really take it seriously my senior year. I had a 4.0 through junior year, but graduated with a cumulative 3.74 :shakehead I'd do it all over again if I could.
I don't wan't to get into alot of detail or derail a thread. We moved twice in high school, the middle school was constant hazing on a daily basis coupled with more on the bus home. Suffice it to say it seriously scarred my character and how I interacted with people for years afterwards. I actually found out later that high school had a series of suicides over the years after I left there, I'm not suprised. I'm happy for folks who had a great time, unfortunately I wasn't one of them. :thumbsdow

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was expelled senior year, and finished up at a different school. I didn't know much of my graduating class. So I wont be going.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had no interest in my 10-year. At the last minute, I thought I might regret it if I didn't go. So I went, and ended up having a pretty good time.

My 20-year's coming up this summer, and I have even less interest than last time. We'll see.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I never went to any reunions. Being that a good number of my friends were from different class years it's a given they wouldn't have been there. Chances are I might see only a few people I actually was friendly with at a reunion, so I figure why bother? I had my clique in school. I pretty much didn't bother with anyone outside of it, and probably wouldn't want to now (although that's not written in stone). I'd greatly love to have a reunion with just my old friends though. I'm sorry I lost touch with them. It had to do with going through some really horrible times where I would have been lousy company, and also being mad at a few of them (over what I don't even remember). And I'm really sorry I lost touch with my old gf. I've been looking for her for a good 20 years now with no luck. No way she would have come to a reunion. It just wasn't her style, and she was a different class year than me anyhow.

In addition to what I've already mentioned, another problem with reunions is that generally only those who have been the most successful tend to go (I guess so they can brag to everyone who's there). I really wouldn't be too happy sitting among a bunch of people who are probably doctors, scientists, successful business people, happily married, some with kids, etc. When it's my turn to tell my story, it really wouldn't be interesting (unless they were into tragedies and melodrama). I guess one thing I have in my favor is that physically I haven't changed much thanks to exercise and genetics (mom is 70 next week and she's only ~10% grey). Only two years ago, someone from my old HS saw me walking by as he was waiting for a bus. I was flattered that he actually recognized me right away given that I was out of HS for 25 and a half years at the time. Anyway, this is yet another thing that would keep me from going to reunions. Not sure how I'd feel if I see some people I used to know who haven't aged well, or how they might react to me looking not a whole lot different. That goes double for the females. It might be pretty depressing seeing someone I may have fantasized over now fat, out of shape, and all grey (or maybe even with bald spots).

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ten year is coming up! I graduated in '99. All the people I talked to in high school that I enjoy hanging around with I talk to now. Not sure if I am going or not. It would be good to see a few old flames :) and introduce them to my beautiful gf :)

CLHC

Flashaholic
Skipped all of them. The twenty-five year reunion is coming up and am going to skip that one also. No ifs-ands-or-buts about it! :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
My cheap-@$$ high school doesn't even hold them. My best friend and I both graduated from Flushing H.S. the same year. He's never received anything about a reunion either.

Still, if they held one; I'd go.... Mostly for the free food.

Carpenter

Enlightened
Reunions = :thumbsdow

Haven't gone to any. Other than maybe a handful of people, there is nobody I really care about seeing again. Moved and left no forwarding address many years ago :)

My parents received several notices from the committees asking for my new address. Let's just say the replies were lost in the mail. :oops::naughty:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
My cheap-@$$ high school doesn't even hold them. My best friend and I both graduated from Flushing H.S. the same year. He's never received anything about a reunion either.

Still, if they held one; I'd go.... Mostly for the free food.

It is often one member of a high school class that will keep the reunions going. This has been the case with my class. She has the skills to organize and pull people together to pull off some classy every five year events. I had actually stayed away from them until this person ran me down using one of those people search programs that finds HS class members from all over the country. Now I have attended two of them so far, and they still bring the people out. About 300 in my class and close to 1/2 showed up, last reunion, and we are getting up there in years.

Bill