LED LENSER K3

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Any reviews or opinions on the LED LENSER K3 Keyring Torch / Flashlight?

Cheers.

ev13wt

Newly Enlightened
Any reviews or opinions on the LED LENSER K3 Keyring Torch / Flashlight?

Cheers.

Opinion: "No." The name bugs me. The new ones looks like good engineering, but I haven't had a new one in my hand yet.

DaveG

Enlightened
I have one, bright little light,almost did not get it due to button cell set up.So far I like it.

gsgtsg

Newly Enlightened
Is the K3 any better than the Mini Mag 2AA or 3AA LED light in terms of beam throw?

Is there any other light in competition at a similar price?

Corbs

Newly Enlightened
Is the K3 any better than the Mini Mag 2AA or 3AA LED light in terms of beam throw?

Yes way better (than my nite-ize one). I got one as a nice free gift with an engraved P7 on eBay UK. I find myself using it more often than any other light recently. People are astonished by the light that comes out of such a small package.

The speed focus is a good feature and it's small enough to carry all the time, unobtrusively.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
I watched a few youtube videos of the K3 in action, and the amount of bright light it puts out looks amazing to me.

Does it maintain the brightness level for a long time ? I was looking at discussions on here about other Coast LEDs, and the brightess level on some of the other Coast models drops off quickly .. 30 minutes for example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIRPuCqi3_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Jc2whGmdc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTg-hJeu9vw

http://www.chuckhawks.com/lenser_X7_K3_flashlights.htm

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ledlenser-coast-k3-8313.html
# Model number: 8313
# Maximum lumens: 14.7
# Maximum power consumption: 0.6 watt
# Maximum effective range: 113 feet
# Length: 2.75"
# Head diameter: 0.8"
# Weight: 1.2 oz
# Batteries: Four AG13
# Working battery life: 55 hours

Last edited:

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one and it's short and stocky. It was nice when I first got it, but now I prefer itp EOS for form factor, different levels, and output. EOS blows it away in terms of output.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
euroken:

Thank you for your reply.

When you get a chance, may I ask you to comment regarding how long the K3 delivers the same brightness level before the brightness drops down ?

Also, since the 14.7 lumens aren't that far off from the 18 lumen medium setting of the ITP EOS, could you describe how they compare with each other ?

And csshih in his/her review (link) of the EOS has this to say about the EOS's PWM. Based on your experience with the EOS, do you agree or disagree ?
"the A3 uses PWM on low and medium, like the fenix, but has a much slower and noticeable pwm than the fenix, this will result in what Fenix calls, a "stroboscopic effect" when waving the light around. This can be distracting"

This stroboscopic effect sounds too distracting on a walk outside at night.

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

It can't even compare to the new generation Rebel minim@g.

As for regulation, there is none afaik. It will be bright for the first 5 minutes and drop steadily from there.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally have not run the light long enough to notice drop in output (only use it to find a keyhole at night occassionally) but as PhantomPhoto says, I don't believe the light is regulated.

I don't usually wave the light around (any light for that matter, but I have never really needed to) so I have never experienced this stroboscopic effect. For normal use such as walking with your light while lighting the path or simply pointing the light at an object, I have not seen any flickering, strobing, etc.

There are different lights for different uses, and A3 and K3 are just general short-term use keychain lights for me. A3 just increases the versatility with the multiple levels.

FYI, my favorite "key chain" is the free one I got from Lighthound when I ordered some products through them. It has equal or maybe even better output than K3, easy to operate, durable, and smaller than K3 or A3.

By the way, that spot to focus on K3 is really useless, imho. First, it's too easily moved (slight tap will move the head around). Second, with the given output, at close distances, it really doesn't make much of a difference.

Just my $0.02. Hope this helps.

DanguS

Newly Enlightened
just my 2 cents, but in my opinion you shouldnt buy led lenser because of price and output. i have 3 led lenser flashlights; p3, p7 and p14. i do like them, but only because of the zoom and flood function.

if you dont really care about the function (zoom/flood), then your better off buying a small AAA flashlight from DX or KD. They have 'at least' the same output if not a lot better.

ITP EOS is a damn powerful (with 10440) flashlight which is the size of your pinky.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Well for me, it's the best key chain flashlight i've had. Small, bright and easy to carry. Long battery life too on silver oxide ag13.