Questions about Dereelight DBS V3

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
I am new to this wonderful 'building a custom flashlight' world and am very intrigued by what I have read about the DBS V3. I went to the Dereelight website but could not find information on what kind of lumen output and runtime it has. Well I could probably do without lumen output info actually, since the pictures of the DBS D3 beam on their website are amazing!

However I am still curious about runtime, and about how I should go about configuring a light. I want maximum throw, regulated output, high beam low beam (if that is an option), and rechargeable batteries. I am just so new to this that I am not sure what to order on their website.

Also, where is Dereelight located - Hong Kong? Do they respond to emails? How long does it take to receive a flashlight from them, and how is their customer service?

Are you happy with your DBS V3?

Thanks in advance for your help.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Firstly the lumens are around 250 run time on high around 1.5 hours and yes they have very good CS the best around.

I have been using DBS for over 2 years and I can honestly say few lights come close to its throw! it is by large a legend here on CPF,I hope that helps a little :thumbsup:

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regulation and output is good with the 3SD pill when using 18650 3.7v lithium ion rechargeable batteries. 3SD gives you high, medium, and low. Do you have a certain battery type you want to use? Or are you open to investing in 18650 batteries and a charger?

Greg G

Enlightened
Mattole, if you are in the U.S. buy it from FlashCrazy. He has an ad for these lights in the marketplace. I bought one from him last week and got it last week. Fast shipping.

I love this light. I haven't done a runtime test but I really like the quality of the light, and it feels good in my hand as well. Throws like you don't know what, and I can't of anything on it that can be modded.

I have the single 18650 version with three levels. It's a 3SD.

If you buy one I doubt you would be disappointed.

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
Yes I am thinking of getting the 18650 batteries. It sounds like a great light. Would you recommend the MCE or the R2 version?

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
How much less throw would the MC-E have than the R2? On the Dereelight website the MC-E looks wider and in a sense brighter than the R2. My criteria is that I need to be able to clearly identify critters at the edge of the forest at 60-70 yards distance here at our wilderness ranch.

I have a few other questions as well: Is the clicker on the rear of the flashlight? I see that when ordering the 1SM-2 version from FlashCrazy that there is an option for a 2x 18650 with extension. Any idea how long this adds to the overall length of the light, and how much light intensity and/or runtime it adds?

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
How much less throw would the MC-E have than the R2? On the Dereelight website the MC-E looks wider and in a sense brighter than the R2. My criteria is that I need to be able to clearly identify critters at the edge of the forest at 60-70 yards distance here at our wilderness ranch.

I have a few other questions as well: Is the clicker on the rear of the flashlight? I see that when ordering the 1SM-2 version from FlashCrazy that there is an option for a 2x 18650 with extension. Any idea how long this adds to the overall length of the light, and how much light intensity and/or runtime it adds?

The extension is for those of us with only 18650 batteries if we want to use an MC-E pill. You can run a DBS with an MC-E pill without an extension tube if you use 2 CR123's. I don't know about this first hand, though since I only use the one 18650 at a time and haven't gotten marital approval to get an MC-E (yet!).

One guy described R2 (or even Q5) with the smooth reflector versus the MC-E with the OP (orange peel) as:

The R2/SMO combo will light up a semi at the end of a city block brightly. The MC-E/OP combo will light the semi somewhat and the entire rest of the block.

Personally, I think the building shot on their website says it all. Most people compare these kind of profiles on a white wall indoors. These are on the side of buildings, for pity's sake!

Might I suggest something? Get a CL1H with an OP and a 3SD. It'll give a nice illumination then pull out the DBS to light up the critter when you see him move. Plus, the CL1H is REALLY small. It fits into most people's hands easily. And yes, the clicky is in the back. I find my DBS v2 is has a softer clicky than my CL1H v4. Might just be a design factor.

Greg G

Enlightened
My criteria is that I need to be able to clearly identify critters at the edge of the forest at 60-70 yards distance here at our wilderness ranch.

In that case I suggest a smooth reflector and an R2 emitter(which is what I have).

blacktop711

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading a bit on the DBS, and I too have a question. I've noticed that lights that can use both CR2 and 18650 seem to have sloping runtime curves when using the 18650. I'd like a DBS, a pill that can accept 2 x18650, and that has a flat regulation curve. I have no need for a CR2 capability. I'd also like the R2 emitter.

So with this in mind, which pill do I want?

Thx...

Mattole

Newly Enlightened
jblackwood: It looks like the CL1H also available with the R2 emitter. Would this be comparable at all in brightness to the DBS V3? Maybe not because of a smaller reflector?

jblackwood

Enlightened
jblackwood: It looks like the CL1H also available with the R2 emitter. Would this be comparable at all in brightness to the DBS V3? Maybe not because of a smaller reflector?

The pills are interchangable between the CL1H and the DBS. The deeper reflector of the DBS help it outthrow the CL1H.

Greg G

Enlightened
I've been reading a bit on the DBS, and I too have a question. I've noticed that lights that can use both CR2 and 18650 seem to have sloping runtime curves when using the 18650. I'd like a DBS, a pill that can accept 2 x18650, and that has a flat regulation curve. I have no need for a CR2 capability. I'd also like the R2 emitter. So with this in mind, which pill do I want?

Thx...

If you want a single level light (high), then you'd want to order the 1SM-2 pill.

If you would like to have three levels, get the 3SM

Here is FlashCrazy's thread describing the variations of the light engine:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=186833

wbp

Enlightened

With the same pill, the lumens are the same (have both, have measured them). With the DBS' larger reflector the spot is smaller, thus slightly better throw. Either one is a terrific, well made, upgradeable light. I've dealt with both Dereelight directly and Flashcrazy, it's hard to go wrong with either, but if you are in the US you'll get great service from Jay (Flashcrazy).

William

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
There is no difference in color rendition between a Q5 and R2. :)

According to this picture, there is a difference.

f_Deft16m_555845a.jpg

These were comparison shots from LuxLuthor in this thread: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211519&highlight=deft

I wouldn't mind seeing that Eagle next to a DBS R2 though.....

Last edited: