Need help finding a dog walking light for the wife, suggestions please.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are her parameters:

1. Must be a clicky type interface, but clicky button MUST be near the head rather than on the tailcap. Similar to Mag-lite or Streamlight Tasklight. A 90degree angle head type light would also be acceptable. This is the single most important parameter.

2. Must have one of the following power source types:
1 or 2 x CR123A/RCR123
1 x 17670
1 x 18650

3. Must be of high-quality (USA manufacturer preferred, but not necessary)

4. Must be longer than your average single cell CR123A light. So, at least 3.5" OAL. She doesn't like the short ones.

5. Must have some means to attach a lanyard.

6. Must have output of at least 100lm (slightly lower output would be concidered if all other criteria were met) and ideally a beam nicely focused for intermediate throw and also a generous amount of spill.

7. Must be voltage regulated and thermal protection would be a plus.

8. Must be capable of at least 30min runtime at 100lm without becoming too hot to hold or hot enough to cause damage to or accelerated wear on the emitter.

9. No specific emitter preference, so long as it suits the params. Warm tint and/or high CRI would be ideal, but certainly not high on the priority list.

9. Must have at least one setting other than full high. i.e. at least a low and a high setting. Multiple or programmable brightnesses would be nice, but only low and high are required.

10. Price is no object within reason, I'll concider anything under $400, though I'd prefer to keep it in the $100 ballpark.

Thanks for your help guys (and girls if you really are out there).

SolarFlare

Enlightened
I've got the H 50 and it's plenty throwy enough for walking the dog, I believe zebralight are releasing a reflectored version? Maybe have a look at that one.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the H 50 and it's plenty throwy enough for walking the dog, I believe zebralight are releasing a reflectored version? Maybe have a look at that one.

I've got an H 30 on the way for my own entertainment. So I'll reevaluate once I get to play with that, but from what I've read, it'll be way too floody.

On the other hand, if they release a reflectorated version, that might be the just the cheese I'm looking for.

I've found that having some really decent intermediate throw is essential for dog walking, at least in my neighborhood. This allows you to identify potential threats at a distance where one has plenty of time to avoid the potential threat before it becomes an actual threat.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
The first thing that came to mind was a MRV SK, escpecially if it was modded with a P7!

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything else other than a Maglite P7/D2DIM/18650 or Maxflex build. :thinking: The only problem there is your length requirement.

SolarFlare

Enlightened
H 30-Q5 yeah that's what I have sorry, the cr123 version, so many lights so little time to learn the names of them :crackup:I think you'll like it and of course it's useful for so many other things, also if you have your dog on a lead it's sometimes necessary to use both hands, unless it's a chihuahua, so a headlamp actually on the head might be just the job.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The JetBeam Jet III Military fits your requirements nicely, and for under $100. It can accept 18650/123/R123s, has a throw-biased reflector, has two modes (one max and one user-settable, so it can be anything you want) with a very simple bezel-turn interface, and has no problem doing ~200 lumens safely for over three hours if needed. You also get to choose between three different kinds of reflectors, and there's a warm tint option, which is great for outdoor use. Plus you get a CPF Member discount :twothumbs

See it here: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jemi.html

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first thing that came to mind was a MRV SK, escpecially if it was modded with a P7!

That could work, however the description page on the battery junction website says the following:

[FONT=arial, helvetica]"Using a power switching technology originally pioneered for the LumaPower MVP, the MRV SK ULTRA features an innovative approach to power and output switching; the tail cap switch controls on/off and offers a momentary feature; on the side is the SideKick switch which allows the use to control output levels."

[/FONT]Per my requirements "on/off" must be available from the "SideKick" switch. Can the light be turned on and off with that switch or is it just used to switch brightnesses?

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything else other than a Maglite P7/D2DIM/18650 or Maxflex build. :thinking: The only problem there is your length requirement.

Mag-lite build, no good, too heavy and large in diameter (sorry I didn't mention that). Needs to be somewhat compact, just not less than 3.5" OAL.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The JetBeam Jet III Military fits your requirements nicely, and for under $100. It can accept 18650/123/R123s, has a throw-biased reflector, has two modes (one max and one user-settable, so it can be anything you want) with a very simple bezel-turn interface, and has no problem doing ~200 lumens safely for over three hours if needed. You also get to choose between three different kinds of reflectors, and there's a warm tint option, which is great for outdoor use. Plus you get a CPF Member discount :twothumbs

See it here: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jemi.html

Sounds great except for the twisty/tailcap button interface. She hates twisty interfaces (no matter how many times I explain she just cannot grasp the concept of "righty tighty lefty loosey" :sigh:). She also hates tail-cap buttons. Light absolutely needs to be side clicky (foreward clicky or whatever you call it) or 90degree anglehead.

Last edited:

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Yeah... forgot that still had a tail switch also. Oh well... :sick2:

That forward switch is really a tuffy isn't it! :sigh: I would second the Jetbeams if they would just satisfy the number one requirement.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only one I can think of right now that may fit what you are looking for is a spartanian II,it is turned on using a control ring in place of a clicky it is 3.5 long has great throw 30 mins on max output and has decent amount of spill.
here is a picture!
017.jpg

oh I forgot it is 1xRCR123 it has 13 level 0.6 lumens being the lowest 225 lumens being max

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only one I can think of right now that may fit what you are looking for is a spartanian II,it is turned on using a control ring in place of a clicky it is 3.5 long has great throw 30 mins on max output and has decent amount of spill.
here is a picture!

oh I forgot it is 1xRCR123 it has 13 level 0.6 lumens being the lowest 225 lumens being max

I'm aware of the Spartainian II, and if it were for me, I would consider it, as to me a control ring is probably just as good as a forward clicky, but she will not see it that way. Especially a twist interface of any kind.

Her main concern is forward clicky, even if the light did everything else she/I wanted it too, plus folded the laundry and did the dishes, if it did not have a forward clicky button, it would not be well recieved. Forward clicky or 90 degree anglehead is an absolute must.

donn_

Flashaholic
A 1C Mag, running MaxFlex, with an X-Bin emitter in a McR45 reflector, using a single 18650. It's like an HD45 with a side clicky and better UI.

OceanView

Enlightened
How about the Wolf-Eyes Guider? I don't have this particular model, but I've been very happy with my other WE lights. I believe that it satisfies every requirement listed. Has a side switch. The multimode capability can be fine tuned by choosing a different WE drop-in when you order: single mode, high-low, 4-mode, or "tactical" high-strobe. There are also some small holes in the tail section for a lanyard. Not sure if it comes with one.

Depending on what you're used to, a WE light may seem a bit heavy for its size, but they're built tough. Plenty of mass for heatsinking.

Edit: Oops, but not made in USA.

Last edited:

Mikellen

Enlightened
The 2008 Inova T4 is a rechargeable and from what I hear has a warmer tint. It's made in the USA and has a side switch. The high mode is rated at 175 lumens and lasts for I think a couple of hours befire recharging. It also has a low mode.
It doesn't have the type of rechargeable batteries that you specified. The lithium battery gets charged directly inside the flashlight via a charging dock. The 2008 Inova T4 is about $125.00 and has a lifetime warranty.

Sounds like this flashlight meets all of your requirements besides the different method of recharging and the lanyard option.

Last edited: