Surefire G2L question

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SF G2l flashlight. My bezel is metal but appears to have the lexan window. Is it possible to swap only the window in the bezel for a pyrex one?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Whilst it may well be possible to obtain an aftermarket window for your G2L, and whilst it may well be possible for you to remove the window retaining ring, if you have a G2L-BK (Black) you could decide to get a Z44-BK bezel instead which does feature a Pyrex window.

The G2L features a Lexan window because it is far more durable as an entry-level utility light, and because the LED light does not damage Lexan because so-called white light LED beams produce no thermal energy.

lightinsky

Enlightened
Whilst it may well be possible to obtain an aftermarket window for your G2L, and whilst it may well be possible for you to remove the window retaining ring, if you have a G2L-BK (Black) you could decide to get a Z44-BK bezel instead which does feature a Pyrex window.

The G2L features a Lexan window because it is far more durable as an entry-level utility light, and because the LED light does not damage Lexan because so-called white light LED beams produce no thermal energy.

Just curious Size 15's. Since LED's don't have thermal energy is it ok to use my DX1447 Cree P4 in my all nitrolin G2? I do have the Surefire Aluminum head if I want to use it on my G2 but like the look and feel of an all nitrolin G2. I have a 6P with a Q5 for higher output. Thanks in advance.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just curious Size 15's. Since LED's don't have thermal energy is it ok to use my DX1447 Cree P4 in my all nitrolin G2? I do have the Surefire Aluminum head if I want to use it on my G2 but like the look and feel of an all nitrolin G2. I have a 6P with a Q5 for higher output. Thanks in advance.
That's a question for the makers of the aftermarket product, or CPF members perhaps.
However, I said that the LED beam doesn't produce thermal energy. LEDs most certainly do produce heat - and they can suffer for it too.

carrot

Flashaholic
It's funny, because if you have a decent powered LED you can feel some heat come out the front. Not as much as incan, but noticeable.

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's funny, because if you have a decent powered LED you can feel some heat come out the front. Not as much as incan, but noticeable.
Is that with both reflector and with optic based flashlights?
Regardless, its on nothing like the scale that would damage a Lexan window.

Niconical

Enlightened
I have a question that is along these lines.

I have 2 of the G2, both with a lexan window. The lexan can of course take whatever heat is given off by a P60 on primaries, but I was wondering if it would be ok to use a P90 with 2 rechargeables? Would that give off too much heat for the lexan? I would assume it would be fine, because the same G2 has an optional P61, and although I've never had one, I have to assume those things get quite hot.

So, G2, lexan window. P90 with 2 rechargeables. Bad idea or good idea?

Thank you :)

Size15's

Flashaholic
I suggest that the P61 or P90 in a G2 will be tempting fate if used constant-on when it comes to the Lexan window being damaged.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have only noticed this on reflectored flashlights.
So could it be that the reflector is reflecting the heat produced by the LED itself and it's electronics etc. If LED light had a thermal component then optics would produce a hot beam too right?

carrot

Flashaholic
So could it be that the reflector is reflecting the heat produced by the LED itself and it's electronics etc. If LED light had a thermal component then optics would produce a hot beam too right?
I don't know, that seems entirely possible to me. All I know is one of my friends pointed it out and it took me by surprise. I suppose in order to find out for certain you'd have to stick an incan behind an optic to see if optics are any good at passing along heat?

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened

Niconical

Enlightened
Thankyou for the info.

The nitrolon head on my G2Z-tan has a pyrex window.
Does the G2 now come with pyrex as well, or are they still lexan?
Unlikke some other lights, surefire.com doesn't seem to mention it either way.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The G2Z has always featured a Pyrex window and still does.
The G2 has always featured a Lexan window and still does.

The High Output Lamp Assemblies, such as the P61 are not intended for constant-on use. In fact in many situations SureFire TacticalLights, CombatLights and WeaponLights are designed and intended for; constant-on light is discouraged and can be extremely dangerous (potential bullet magnet).

From what I gather, a thorough grounding and realistic training in lowlight tactics is a far better investment than a brighter light for those having to, or preparing to put themselves into harms way.

Al

Niconical

Enlightened
I have a quick question about Surefire lexan, so I'll use this thread rather than clutter up with a new one.

So, the stock G2 has a lexan lens. This is fine for use with the supplied P60.

The G2L also has a lexan lens, but it has an LED.

My question is this. Are those 2 lexan lenses, the one in the G2 and the one in the G2L, the same? The reason I ask is because for flashlight/lamp configuration options I won't bore you with, I want to use a P60 with a G2L (lexan) head. I just want to check first in case the G2L lexan is somehow of a lower level than the stock G2 lexan. I'd assume they're the same, lexan is lexan I suppose, but I thought I'd check with the experts first.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lexan windows should be the same AFAIK but the bezels are not. The G2L bezel was changed to aluminum (hex) to better dissipate heat. The standard G2 has a nitrolon bezel (plastic with little pips).

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question that is along these lines.

I have 2 of the G2, both with a lexan window. The lexan can of course take whatever heat is given off by a P60 on primaries

Actually, that statement is mostly true. I carry my G2 bezel up in a BBC belt holster. I usually carry it at around 8 oclock for comfort's sake. Unfortunately, at the time I was using one of those folding director style camp chairs as my computer seat - slouched down with my keyboard across my knees and my trusty trackball on my thigh. Imagine my surprise when I go to pull out my trusty G2 and find it dead with a bubbled window. Turns out, my G2 is old enough to not have the LOTC. When I slouched, I pressed the G2 down deeper in to the holster so that it was being held on till the battery died. My solution was to get a lockout tailcap replacement from SF, and a UCL lens from flashlightlens. Never had that problem again.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to get mottled windows in my 6Z all the time with "only" the P60, and not sitting on it, either! Surefire replaced them so many times under warranty that they finally sent me one of the newer bezels with the pyrex window.