Camping?

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had been married 5 years and got back in touch with a distant cousin/friend from school whom would go camping with me a lot. We told stories and our wives thought it might be fun, well we kept saying we would and never went until many years later when my son was born. Now we have went three years in a row, not real big trips, just short car camping trips on the farm.
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn275/eugenenine/

Centropolis

Enlightened
I had been married 5 years and got back in touch with a distant cousin/friend from school whom would go camping with me a lot. We told stories and our wives thought it might be fun, well we kept saying we would and never went until many years later when my son was born. Now we have went three years in a row, not real big trips, just short car camping trips on the farm.
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn275/eugenenine/

I really like your green "convertible Hummer"! :)

vtunderground

Enlightened
Camping is at the top of my list of things I love to do, but never find time to do anymore :(

Back when I was in college, my roommates and I would go camping every other weekend. We quickly gave up on tents; we'd just sleep on the ground if it was soft enough, or in hammocks on rough terrain. A tarp hung ver the hammock keeps the rain and dew off.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Camping is at the top of my list of things I love to do, but never find time to do anymore :(

Back when I was in college, my roommates and I would go camping every other weekend. We quickly gave up on tents; we'd just sleep on the ground if it was soft enough, or in hammocks on rough terrain. A tarp hung ver the hammock keeps the rain and dew off.

The only thing I complain about camping are the mosquito. Other than that, I love everything about it.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a lucky man. My wife and friends love camping. We are not as hardcore as we were when we were younger. A site near a shower is a higher priority than I care to admit. I love the campfires at night. Shooting the breeze, having a drink or four, and the smores! The dayhikes are my passion. I schedule them so I can return in the dark for obvious reasons! Swimming holes! Yes, stumbling onto them and skinny dipping! Last summer I was in the Tahoe wilderness and came upon an alpine lake. I was with inlaws, very conservative cousin inlaws. We encountered a group of young ladies who insisted we jump in the lake as a reward for climbing the mountain. They proceeded to show us all we needed was our underwear! It was glorious.

Yes I love camping. I have the coolest gear!!! And you know what? I am a minimalist when it comes to lights when camping. I lend out all my lights and I am happy as a clam with my E2O.

Great thread!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I love camping. I also love backpacking, hiking, and snowshoeing. I have great gear that makes the trips more fun and enjoyable. I don't mind the cold either. Good gear can make rough weather comfortable. I went snow camping last winter with a four season tent and a catalytic heater hooked up to a 20 lb. propane tank by way of a hose. I didn't mind the cold since I could always warm up in the tent. I like the chance to practice the things needed to survive like using fire and working with a knife, hatchet, or a gun without someone trying to arrest me for having possession of something potentially dangerous. I enjoy cooking steak over a fire or charcoal. A grilliput, fire bowl, and Sierra Zip stove let me do all cooking with charcoal, a cheap fuel that adds good flavor to meat. With white gas at $8.50 a gallon and all other fuels prohibitively expensive, it's nice to be able to do a lot of cooking without worrying about the cost. I like going places remote enough to use an H.I.D. spotlight and other flashlights.

Unfortunetly, camping in my area has been changing for the worse over the years. Fees in our county parks went up to $19 a night at the cheapest location. Camp fees and $10 bundles of wood (they were $6 two weeks ago) are becoming a revenue source for the state's slush fund. I don't like paying near the price of rent for my home to use a plot of dirt. $570 a month to sleep in the dirt is rediculous, plus they have a 2 week limit per stay. They are now enforcing a one tent and one car limit per site, and charging per pet. Nothing can be hung from or stabbed into a tree. You can't attach ropes to the trees to hang a tarp or let your tent hang out to dry. Hammocks aren't allowed. No fires are allowed after 11 PM or before 8 AM. During red flag warnings, they won't even let me use a candle lantern in my tent or a backpacking stove, let alone a fire. I found it cruel that when I went backpacking in the Sierra Nevadas in November, they had signs up there that said no fires allowed. The sign was buried in snow, as was everything else. Few, if any camping areas in San Diego county allow guns anymore (I don't hunt, but I like target shooting). Fishing and hunting are prohibitively expensive, and hiking in a National Forest requires that I purchase an Wilderness Adventure Pass to park on a road paid for by my tax dollars. That also adds an additional cost to backpacking in areas I'd like to travel and guarantees that if I don't make it back to my car before the pass expires, I'll be fined. Nice campgrounds in the local mountains were never rebuilt after the Cedar and Witch fires and only allow for day use so I can't go nighthiking there anymore. If I want to go camping where I don't have to deal with so many stupid rules that ruin the experience, I have to drive out to either the desert, the Sierra Nevadas, or Mt. San Jacinto. It's worth it to go somewhere where you can camp the way you want without being strangled by red tape.

By the way, while I pack a lot of gear to make me comfortable, I only like tent camping. RV camping isn't camping, it's taking your house with you. About the only things that I use that run on electricity are my flashlights, my cell phone (for emergencies), my watch, and my Sierra Zip stove (sort of). I like being in the wilderness where I can experience the weather and the wildlife. Being in an insulated tin can takes away from that experience.

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
I'm working on staff of the Okpik training course we have here in Michigan in a few weeks. Cold weather camping training. No fires, no heaters. Learn to make your body a furnace, dress well, and you won't need them. They can be counter productive. We teach how to build a quinzy. Once it is built and glazed, it will keep you pretty darn warm at night. Much better than a tent.

Love camping!!!! It's better in the winter,,, No mosquitoes.

Centropolis,

Our troop has been to the Great Lakes Jamboree a few times over by you. Nice place you got there!

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm working on staff of the Okpik training course we have here in Michigan in a few weeks. Cold weather camping training. No fires, no heaters. Learn to make your body a furnace, dress well, and you won't need them. They can be counter productive. We teach how to build a quinzy. Once it is built and glazed, it will keep you pretty darn warm at night. Much better than a tent.

Love camping!!!! It's better in the winter,,, No mosquitoes.

Centropolis,

Our troop has been to the Great Lakes Jamboree a few times over by you. Nice place you got there!

Here's a couple tips for your class. Sleeping with a 1 liter lexan water bottle filled with boiling hot water will keep you comfortably warm for two or three hours as well as making sure you have non-frozen water to drink in the morning. If your boots get wet and freeze solid, putting a hot water bottle in each boot will defrost them enough to wear them again. Placing a small towel in each boot will ensure that water gets collected and removed so your feet aren't as cold. A candle lantern or butane lantern are decent substitutes for a heater in a tent while backpacking in winter and provide needed light as well.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Yes I love camping. I have the coolest gear!!! And you know what? I am a minimalist when it comes to lights when camping. I lend out all my lights and I am happy as a clam with my E2O.

Great thread!

Spending money on camping gear is also where a lot of my money goes besides flashlights. I guess you can say a flashlight can be categorize as camping gear?!

I have more than enough sleeping bags and backpacks to lend to a medium sized family. One thing I spend a lot of money on are jackets! I have 3 Arcteryx jackets that together cost more than CDN$1,300.

I want to buy a new tent this spring. See what I can save up.

Centropolis

Enlightened
Here's a couple tips for your class. Sleeping with a 1 liter lexan water bottle filled with boiling hot water will keep you comfortably warm for two or three hours as well as making sure you have non-frozen water to drink in the morning. If your boots get wet and freeze solid, putting a hot water bottle in each boot will defrost them enough to wear them again. Placing a small towel in each boot will ensure that water gets collected and removed so your feet aren't as cold. A candle lantern or butane lantern are decent substitutes for a heater in a tent while backpacking in winter and provide needed light as well.

I am not sure with the recent news about BPA plastics (including Lexan) that putting hot water in it and drinking from it is a good idea. Although using a stainless steel or BPA-free plastic bottles will work too.

Good tip though.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As one comedian once said, "I have a house, why would I want to pretend to be Homeless?" :D

I'm just kidding. It's something I've wanted to do. But two things though....

1) Can't find anyone who wants to go with me.

2) Bugs LOVE me. Apparently.... I'm delicious? :(

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
We camp almost every weekend, the whole family. Typically we hike or quad in to a bush and set up camp, everyone has their own jobs once we get there, it is like clockwork anymore. We can land and set up in under an hour and get on with what we think is one of the best times we can possibly find to spend with each other.
We hunt together, fish together and camp together, a lot.:)

P8020176.jpg

brucec

Enlightened
I love camping, although these days with the young family, it is car camping. Back in school, I did a lot of 2-3 day backpack trips in the Rockies and Sierras. Beautiful scenery. There is nothing like hiking in all day and soaking au natural in a hotspring above treeline at 12000ft! At that altitude, the sky is so clear and you can see forever by moonlight. I once backpacked in Arches National Park in Utah during August. That was extreme... 120F out in the sun, no shade ANYWHERE, and you have to pack something like 4-6 liters of drinking water per person per day. It is always much better to plan your hike around having water around or near your camp. Even better if you are hiking up a stream, then you can get water at anytime.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love backpacking. My favorite place to go is North Lake out of Bishop. The hiking starts about a mile before the trailhead as there is a pricey campground at the trailhead. Once on the trail, the first few miles are shaded by trees. As you ascend above the treeline, you get to see waterfalls everywhere. There are some going down the mountains on both sides and some along Bishop Creek, which the trail follows. During the fall, it's like Yosemite without the crowds. Before you get to the first lake, Lock Leven, you travel up granite stairs with a large waterfall to your left which is between granite walls on each side of it.

When you get above the granite stairs, there is a nice pool of water fed by a waterfall coming out of Lock Leven. It's about halfway up to Piute Pass. This pool is a great place to soak your feet as the water is cold and eliminates hotspots so you don't get blisters. It is also surrounded by granite so you stay clean going in and coming out and don't end up with pebbles in your shoes. After Lock Leven, there is a group of campsites to the right before the next lake. The trail follows lake after lake until Piute Pass which is above 11,000 feet.

From the pass, you can see lakes for miles. There is a trail that follows them down quite aways but there is little shelter from the wind, rain, or lightening going down that trail. It's better to go left toward Muriel Lake which is a mile or two away and has some trees. At the far end of Muriel lake, there is an awesome campsite. It has a view of all the lakes for at least five or six miles to the west. A couple hundred feet to the east is Muriel Lake. To the north a couple hundred feet, there is a stream with some small waterfalls that is a good place to get water. There is a large boulder nearby propped up by rocks around it that provides shelter for your pack, and maybe you if the weather gets too bad. There are trails around the lake and some mountains that you can climb. With some climbing, you get views of hidden lakes.

Then you travel back to the pass to follow the trail farther down. Take a left at the pass. You have a trail that slowly travels downhill for 7 miles to Hutchinson Meadows. About two or three miles down this trail, there is a stream that crosses the trail and comes from Desolation Lake, the only water source on the trail before the destination of Hutchinson Meadows. The hike is an easy one since you gradually descent the entire way, but it's the length that will wear you out. It's an all day hike with few, if any good campsites along the way. Shortly before Hutchinson Meadows is the first good camp spot at Lower Boyscout Lake. Shortly before the meadows, there is a fence and a short log passageway that works to keep animals in or out. You may have to take your pack off to get through it.

After the passageway is Hutchinson Meadows. It's along the San Joquin River(I think I spelled that wrong). It is the first place along the trail that a large tent would fit, so you won't want to carry anything larger than a two or three man tent to get there. It is the first place that allows campfires. It is close (5-10 miles away) to the John Muir Trail. This area is sheltered from the wind by trees and mountains. From here, you can go back the way you came, follow the John Muir Trail for a while and come out at South Lake (a 50+ mile "loop" -it doesn't take you back to the trailhead), Come out at Florence Lake on the east side of the Sierras, or take the John Muir Trail north or south (to Yosemite or Mt. Whitney). This is near the center of the Sierras and the trails north and south are pretty flat and easy to hike.

If you hike this trail, plan for rain and possibly hail as thunderstorms are very common. Ponchos and spare dry clothes can be lifesavers. Also, bring bug repellent. With so many lakes, mosquitoes hard to avoid. You may want earplugs as well. During thunderstorms at Muriel Lake, the lake basins act as an echo chamber. If lightening strikes the surrounding mountains (which are within a mile away), the echoes last until after the next boom of thunder so it never stops. The higher treeless areas leave you more exposed to the weather, but it's in these places where you see the most awesome views.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I've thought about maybe trying camping but then decided I probably wouldn't care for it. Three things would annoy me to the point of negating any joys I might find elsewhere. Number one are the bugs. I can't stand insects, especially mosquitoes, but they love me. Number two is, well, number two, as in the inability to properly clean oneself. Number three if the trip lasts for a couple of days is lack of access to bathing facilities. Getting there would also be a problem as most camp sites are too remote to be accessible by public transit, and I don't own a vehicle or have a license. Bottom line-I'm sure I'd enjoy certain aspects but the incoveniences would more than outweigh the joys. Maybe some kind of compromise camp area with regular sitdown toilets and showers nearby, and going during a time of year with no bugs, might negate the problems I mentioned earlier. But to some of the purists here, I'm sure that wouldn't be considered real camping.

EDIT: Almost forget to mention, but with my CTS I probably couldn't perform a lot of the routine duties required when camping. Even something as simple as tying ropes tight would be beyond my capabilities (I have trouble tying my shoe laces at this point).

Last edited: