Fenix LD20 vs. L2D

snatiep

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

Three quick questions if I may?

1. What is the difference between the Fenix LD20 and the Fenix L2D?

2. I noticed a textured reflector is available on some models. What is the advantage to a textured reflector?

3. What is the difference between the L2D CE and the L2D Premium Q5?

Thank you very much for any help and information!

Nate

Gunner12

Flashaholic
1: LD20 has an anti roll ring, knurled body, a reflector that provides a bit more throw, and lower output for the low, medium, and high modes compared to the L2D-CE/L2D-CE Q5(same with the other LxD/PxD vs LD/PD models too).

2. Textured reflector gives a smoother beam with less throw. How much less depends on the amount of texturing.

3. L2D-CE uses a lower bin Cree XR-E LED, either Q2 or P4(the Q2 is a bit better then the P4 but the visible difference is almost none). L2D-CE Q5 uses a higher bin Cree XR-E Q5 LED. Around 30% more efficient and brighter then the L2D-CE. The LD/PD uses the Q5 bin. Tint is still variable and is dependent of the LED itself. The flashlight company can not guarantee the tint unless they test every single LED by hand. The best they can do it buy from a single tint bin and that can still have visible differences in tint.

:welcome:

snatiep

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Gunner12!

I think I'll go with the L2D Premium Q5. I have read many posts here that recommend the L2D over the LD20.

What do you all think about getting either a L1D or LD10 to go along with it? Or is that a little redundant?

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want to use AA batteries, just get the L1D/LD10/L1T V2.0 body. Swap the 1AA body for the 2 AA body and you have a 1 AA light. A L2D with a L1D body is a L1D. They both use the same cirucit. The P2D also uses the same circuit so you can also use the P2D/PD20 body with the talicap.
The LD10, LD20, and PD20 also use the same circuit. They also have compatiable threads with the L1D/L2D/P2D/L1Tv2.0/and L2Tv2.0.

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
LD20 had better design a it is a little bit brighter (i doubt you can tell from naked eye) but L2D is far mor efficient.

See chart below posted by Selfbuilt in the 2xAA roundup:
2AA-HiEne.gif

Jaslight

Newly Enlightened
Just get the LD20. The LD20 is the new better designed version of the L2D Premium Q5.
Like others have mentioned here it has a longer throw, anti roll, plus a cleaner beam and better efficiency, and it can tail stand just like the old version.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really don't know which I prefer and I would be happy with either. The LD20 does throw better to the naked eye but I like the L2D as a bikelight and that is not always a great thing depending on personal preference.

Like others have mentioned here it has a longer throw, anti roll, plus a cleaner beam and better efficiency, and it can tail stand just like the old version.
Where did you read that it was more efficient than the L2D? :D

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone!

Three quick questions if I may?

Nate

1. What is the difference between the Fenix LD20 and the Fenix L2D?

major design difference is the addition of the Anti-Roll feature to the LD20. L2D has no anti-roll feature.

darklord

Newly Enlightened
Seems to me the L2D has 30% more runtime for virtually the same output. That's a no brainer, then! :duh2:

I can't imagine why anyone would want to tailstand a pencil-like design like this, anyway, surely they all fall over at the faintest table bump, don't they? A bit of plastocene might do! Likewise a bit of chewing gum stops 'em rolling ;)

JWP_EE

Enlightened
On low the LD20 has 30% more runtime. This is at a slightly lower output of 9 lumens instead of 12 for the L2D.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the L2D and LD20 Body w/LXD tail ..the LXD tail is more stable for me and doesnt tilt over ,the LD20 is hard to tailstand but its tailcap tailstands just fine on L1D so thats how i have everything frankensteined :) looks good to me, i prefer L2D turbo effiency to LD20 but both are fine as long as i have BOTH :)

Last edited:

JWP_EE

Enlightened
I have done a runtime test on low on the L1D-CE and the LD10. Since they are the same heads, it should give some idea of the 2XAA runtimes.

I used two fresh off the charger Eneloops. I then recharged both cells and swapped them in the two lights and averaged the runtimes for each light.

L1D-CE - 22 hours 3 min
LD10 - 28 hours 30 min

I have no way of measuring light output so I guessed at 50% output. The LD10 dies very fast after it starts to dim.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LD20 (4190 lux) have a 27% higher output than the L2D(3030 lux) on turbo mode. But has a 27% shorter runtime of 1:28 (LD20) vs 2:01 (L2d).

http://light-reviews.com/fenix_ld20/

http://light-reviews.com/fenix_l2d_ce_q5/

I can see the LD20 also has much higher lux for the spill: 37%. Actually as bright spill as Fenix TK10 with 2xCR123 cells!
This ought to mean that the total beam size of the LD20 is narrower than as well L2D and TK10, and therefore the light amount per area will be higher than L2D. As well the hotspot and spillbeam is brighter at high mode with LD20 than with turbomode with L1DQ5...
The runtime is shorter than L2D but still close to 1,5 hour. And that is measured with 2000mAh cells. Consequently 2700mAh will provide 2 hours.

I am waiting for a LD20, and this really increases my expectations! :)
Will my TK10 be superfluous?...

Edited: It's interesting to notice that LD20 by lightreviews at conclusion recieved The Bad - Nothing significant!
Actually I think it has one bad feature: when the light drops it drops instantly to darkness. If you don't carry extra batteries or another light you will be suddenly left in the darkness. But of course the most users of LD20 have some extra light, like a LOD or similar...

Regards, Patric

Last edited: