Novatac 85T flicker from high -> low...

bigfoot

Enlightened
After using the search feature it sounds like this has happened quite a bit...

My new black 85T from Lighthound has a brief flicker when going from high mode (85 lumen) to lowest mode (0.3 lumen). Also there seems to be an occasional random flickering once or twice when kept on the lowest mode (0.3 lumen). The serial # is in the 3xxxx series if that makes any difference.

Doesn't seem to be causing any major problems, but is this an indicator of a bigger underlying problem or a bad unit?

The LED tint (slightly warm, definitely warmer than my SF P60L) and centering on my unit is about as close to perfect as far as I can tell. There are a few flecks of dust on the reflector and LED bubble, but so be it. I'm not in a big rush to return it unless really necessary. My only real complaint... wish I had tried out the Novatacs earlier!

Any advice from the experts here on CPF? Thanks :thinking:

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought at the beginning some early models had that issue, but I thought it was limited to the 120P. You might want to contact NovaTac they will likely replace it. I don't think it is a sign of any big problem, it's just annoying. Check another battery, and make sure the battery type is set correctly. Hope it gets worked out.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy bigfoot,
Congratulations on your new light, sorry to hear it's flickering a bit.

I'd try cleaning all the battery contact surfaces with Progold or any good contact cleaner..... or you could use 70% rubbing alcohol.... just be sure you don't let any drip down into the head, so hold it up when doing this. Clean the actual battery surfaces too.

While you're at it, be sure and clean both ends of the big spring in the battery tube, as well as both areas where it makes contact in the head and tail..... and might as well make sure that both retaining rings are tight. Those are the slender silver discs with 4 small notches you will see in both the head and tail sections.

Then put it all back together and make sure it is all nice and tight.

Hopefully one of those tips will help.

Latest posts