My first pocket tac light

jamesavery22

Newly Enlightened
For a while I searched for a small pocket light. My requirements were, small, cree, and cr123. The Fenix T1 and the Zebra lights were at the top of my list.
Then I started looking for a tac light for a pistol. The surefire/insight products are pretty much my only options. Didn't like either.

So I made this:

106ehea.jpg

Solid block of delrin

acpw4.jpg

Cut the picatinny mil-std-1913 rail and marked where I'd drill the main hole

2czblgi.jpg

Mail hole drilled

28m3221.jpg

Main hole drilled and tapped. The first metal piece will hold the lense

21cidt1.jpg

All the main parts dismantled. Bulb assembly is an old Q5 I had from a cheap surefire drop-in

2vi5y1h.jpg

Test run. No switch so once it was assembled its always on

28u3axh.jpg

Hole for the switch is drilled, milled, and tapped. Marked where I'd get rid of extra material.

33nzw4l.jpg

Inside shot. Can see the copper tape the makes the connection from the rear cap to the switch

ut2mp.jpg

30wkqaw.jpg

Shows the hole that has a piece of wire that goes from the side of the switch to the side of the bulb assembly

9ih9gm.jpg

Pretty close to being done. Switch installed. Still have to get some rubber to seal and cover the button

w9durr.jpg

14b45s3.jpg

Cleaned up the edges a little

Have a few things left to do. I already gave the switch cover and rear cover a coat of dupli-color black high heat engine paint. Will give it at least one more coat. That stuff is very durable. Had it laying around from re-finishing an AK receiver.
Next I have to get some Rit dye for the body. Just going to use black.
Finally I have to make the picatinny mount/adapter. Want to make a mount that can clamp it onto another picatinny rail or a Glock rail.

Its an ugly little blob but its small and its bright. Beam throw is very wide since I suck at making a reflector from aluminum. It would only be used to navigate from room to room and for that it works great.

clg0159

Enlightened
I like it! I haven't seen anyone DIYers tackle this niche yet and I think it could be done better and cheaper than what is already on the market.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How's the heatsinking for the LED? It probably won't be used long enough for heat to be too important but I was wondering how well the LED was heatsinked.

Good job with the mod!

jamesavery22

Newly Enlightened
The LED is epoxied via some of the non-conductive arctic silver epoxy I had laying around. The "reflector" was made from a solid aluminum rod but its surrounded by delrin so I'm sure it doesn't do much...