LED Flashlight Options

daj013

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen,

Please help me out here with a couple of flashlight options.

I work as an aircraft inspector for a major airline. Needless to say my flashlight is a top priority tool that I use hourly. I just sold 4 Streamlight Stingers to purchase better lights.
I have been using stingers for the past 10 years along with all my coworkers.

I stumbled across this forum last week, many hours put in here to bring me up to speed a little. I can't believe there is a forum for this.
It's not like I need another forum to follow, seeing that I belong to RC, AR15, Mountain biking, dirt bikes, street bikes, computer and photography forums.

And no need to tell me to get a life, I have been told that before. I will have to say however, this is a very informative forum.

So this last week I ordered a Fenix L1DQ5 and a NiteCore D10. Along with that, I ordered a Maha MH C-9000 and Duracell 2650 mAh AA NiMH's thinking that I would stick with the AA format. I really wanted to get away from a rechargeable flashlight like I had with the stingers. It started to be a pain when the run time was only about an hour, and then I would have to swap out batteries or lights.

So yesterday I received my new lights. I was kind of shocked as to how small they were.
I wanted to down size from the stingers, but I wasn't quite expecting them to be this small. Realistically the brightness level seems to be sufficient on both lights, however I could probably use a little more but know I will sacrifice run time.

I guess what I am asking here is some more choices of lights that I should consider?
I hadn't considered the 123 battery size, but haven't ruled it out yet either. Of course I would have to purchase the batteries and the charger to adapt to that format. Or possibly a 2AA design, but the light being longer, I would have to look at.

Run time, amount of lumens and being smaller than the Streamlights are important to me.
I really like the NiteCore D10. I don't see that I really need an SOS or a strobe function that is on the Feniz L1DQ5. And I don't like clicking the button through to find what I need as far as brightness.

I just need a few more suggestions to help me out with what to buy next. I don't mind having to demo a half dozen lights before I finally find which suits my needs, even if I have to carry 2 separate lights.

Thanks to Selfbuilt for very informative reviews. I plan to donate to your battery fund.

Thanks for any help here. I know that there are people here that use their lights in an industrial environment like me, and my living depends on it.
Doing a lightning strike inspection on a commercial aircraft, in frigid temperatures or with snow, ice or rain, is no fun, I assure you.

Also just to note, I purchased several of the Dorcy LED lights (41-4297) 160 Lumens 3AAA, before Christmas. I sold everyone and the guys at work loved them. I ended up keeping one myself and really like it, besides it was only $33 dollars. The size is just about right and it puts out plenty of light. I just need to step up to the plate and get something better and more expensive than that. You know bragging rights.
On another note, we receive an endless supply of free alkaline batteries, except 123's.

Thanks
David Johnson

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Hi David, and :welcome:

The best all around AA light I've had and a lot of members will agree is the Romisen RC-N3 Q5. You can get them at this site for about $25 each: http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/...A/searchpath/4038/start/9/total/15/Categories

They are at the bottom of the page and you can get black or silver. On a cheap set of batteries, I got a good 4hrs of runtime. Even if you don't end up getting one and using for your aircraft inspection, get one to keep around the house, they are that handy!

Like you, my work supplies all the batteries we can use...though they are the cheap Energizer Industrial ones. My weld inspectors have been using this light 8hrs a day for almost a year now. That is good durability if you ask me.

Another, but more expensive brand/model you can look into is some of the Fenix lights.

Again, Welcome! And try not to get too hooked on this site. :broke::broke::thumbsup:

Toaster

Enlightened
If you want the brightest and longest runtimes in a small package, then you should move on to lithium batteries. You'll want a rechargeable solution for daily use. The best size/performance ratio comes with 18650 (2xCR123) size li-on rechargeable batteries. Generally you can expect this class of light to have 2.5-3x the output of that D10 with around 2-3 hours of runtime at max output. Fortunately there are a lot of excellent options to choose from. Here are some choices you should consider:

Dereelight CL1H V4
Eagletac T10L
Fenix TK11 R2
JetBeam Jet-III Pro ST
JetBeam Jet-III Pro
JetBeam Jet-III M
Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2

There's plenty of info to be found here on all of these lights. Based on your UI preference I think the Jetbeam Jet-III M with warm tint and OP reflector might be the best out of these choices for you. But they all have their strengths and weaknesses so I'd suggest you start reading up and come to your own conclusions :candle:

3rd Degree

Newly Enlightened
If you like the L1D then look into the L2D/LD20....uses 2 AA batteries. It's brighter and has longer run time than the L1D...also check out the TK20 ...it's 2aa...a little brighter than a Stinger on high...about the size of a beefed up minimag....

daj013

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for the response. I appreciate this.

Ryanrpm, thanks for the link. For the price that looks like a great light.

Toaster, that's the info that I really need. Looks like you are correct in needing to go to Li-on batteries in the 18650.
At work today I will search 2X CR123 lights. You are right, there are lots of options out there today. I don't think the 2X CR flashlights would be too large for what I am looking for, smaller than the stinger and longer run time. I just wished there was a store that I could go to and see several lights in person and decide. Price isn't really a concern, as long as it fits my needs. Like I said, I will buy a half dozen before I find what suits me, if I have to. I can always sell them at work if I need. I just wanted to narrow down the field a bit.

So if I do decide on Li-on batteries, which ones and what charger?

David Johnson

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the L1D is a single Ni-Mh light --> no chance to get full brightness from a single led, You need a 2 AA light here (L2D, LD20, ...)

skip CR123 and 2 CR123, the 18650 light is the way to go, that cell houses 1.5 times the power of 2 CR123s but the light stays the same size
I'd go for one of the Jetbeam Jet III models

example for a chager (multiformat doublecell Li-Ion chager): http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire...3-37-volt-Lithium-Battery-Charger_p_2279.html
always use "protected" cells!!!

rethink Your thoughts about "klicking through levels" and the Fenix UI, because it is simply great:
head thight and full blast at ON
head loose and LOW at 1st on
.. You cant get better

Primarily I use my Jetbeam Jet III, or a modded light, they have settings at ON:
level 1 --> level 2 --> level 3
and I have programmed it at low - med - bright, because I want low on 1st on.
but needing higher levels --> level change needed, every time
I can live with that, but ppl I lent the light on hikes and such dont, then I usually program 1st level to med, its easier for them

PS: I remember there was a very similar thread maybe this summer. Dont know if the poster decided for a special light, or if he even mentionned what and how he likes it. But "aircraft inspector" and like words should have been used. Maybe You get a hit with the search?

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
Pila IBC charger is the best of the inexpensive li-on chargers as it reliably charges to the correct voltage and terminates properly unlike the less expensive alternatives. AW Protected 18650 is the standard around here. The charger is available at various vendors and there is also a group buy running on it till the 25th. AW 18650s are carried by a lot of the vendors supporting CPF and you can order them directly as well.

GPB

Enlightened
Disclaimer: I don't have this setup, but I wish I did.

If money wasn't a too much of a factor for me and I had the requirements the OP listed, I'd go with a Surefire 6P, a Malkoff M60 and a pair of 18650 rechargables.

Bulletproof reliability
200+ Lumens ( if you don't need that go with the M60L )
convenient size ( about 5" long )
envious stares from co-workers

Whatever you get, be sure to post some feedback on it.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can try buying a L2D body and using that with the L1D(they have the same circuit just different number of batteries).

If you want Li-ion, from what I hear AW is very good.

If you want to stick with AA, you'll need to use a 2AA light to get the output you want.

:welcome:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
These are the lights i would choose......

https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=550

http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-86/ITP-C8R-Cree-Q5/Detail

And of course the RC-N3 because of its dual battery configuration.....another great versatile light would be the ITP series.....i have the C9 which is in cr123 format with the C8 2cell AA tube and of course the C7 single AA tube. One head with different formats, but you also have to spend more on the tubes and tailswitch, which to me was worth it. I have the 2cell tube on the way.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy David and welcome to CPF,
You've gotten some excellent suggestions. I tend to agree with Toaster in pointing you toward the 18650 based lights, although I am also a big fan of the 2xAA format. I think a light with at least 2 levels of brightness (3 is better) really opens up it's usefulness in a number of varying situations.

I also agree with Toaster's recommendation of the Pila IBC charger if you end up going the 18650 route.

I don't know if you are familiar with lithium-ion rechargeable technology, but if not, you should become acquainted with some of the facts regarding it's proper use and care. Here are 2 good resources:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/201375

And like flashlights, battery technology is advancing rapidly too, so be aware that a few new 18650 'safe' chemistries are now available.

Last, but not least, here is another good flashlight review site which has a very helpful 'compare' feature, allowing you to compare up to 3 lights side-by-side:
http://www.light-reviews.com/

Good luck in your search.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Disclaimer: I don't have this setup, but I wish I did.

If money wasn't a too much of a factor for me and I had the requirements the OP listed, I'd go with a Surefire 6P, a Malkoff M60 and a pair of 18650 rechargables.

Bulletproof reliability
200+ Lumens ( if you don't need that go with the M60L )
convenient size ( about 5" long )
envious stares from co-workers

Whatever you get, be sure to post some feedback on it.
I don't have this setup, neither.

Would the 18650 slide into a 6P body without boring it out? An aftermarket body would work for sure if it was intended to be used with the 18650 but I don't think a stock 6P would.

Ajay

Enlightened
If you want the brightest and longest runtimes in a small package, then you should move on to lithium batteries. You'll want a rechargeable solution for daily use. The best size/performance ratio comes with 18650 (2xCR123) size li-on rechargeable batteries. Generally you can expect this class of light to have 2.5-3x the output of that D10 with around 2-3 hours of runtime at max output. Fortunately there are a lot of excellent options to choose from. Here are some choices you should consider:

Dereelight CL1H V4
Eagletac T10L
Fenix TK11 R2
JetBeam Jet-III Pro ST
JetBeam Jet-III Pro
JetBeam Jet-III M
Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2

There's plenty of info to be found here on all of these lights. Based on your UI preference I think the Jetbeam Jet-III M with warm tint and OP reflector might be the best out of these choices for you. But they all have their strengths and weaknesses so I'd suggest you start reading up and come to your own conclusions :candle:

Couldn't have said it better myself.:thumbsup:
daj013 you are a lucky guy...you have a job which requires use of a flashlight a lot. I would definitely go the 18650 lithium route with any of the good flashlights mentioned above by Toaster.
I would not invest in cheaper lesser quality lights for such demanding daily use.
I use an RC charger to charge my 18650 batteries and I would recommend you looking into that. I have heard good things about the Pila charger but the problem with many 18650 specific chargers is the very low charge rate. I use the Apache 2500 charger with an external power supply. I know it's a more complicated route using an external charger but you get a faster charging rate and many more safety features that are not in the cheapo chargers.

Ok that's my 2 cents.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Lots of good advice in thread. :thumbsup:

First thing I would do is order a L2D or LD20 body tube to go with your current L1D (as Gunner12 pointed out, it's the same head - you can just switch body tubes on the light to see how you like it, without ordering a whole new light). Output on turbo will double, the other levels will stay the same.

For 2xCR123A/1x18650 size, Toaster provided an excellent list. All are good lights and would serve you well.

For batteries, simplest and easiest to stick with AW protected 18650. You can order these direct from AW through his threads on CPFMP, or from a number of online dealers (4sevens, lighthound, etc.).

And yes, the Pila charger is pretty much the standard around here. the cheaper ones often work fine, but Pila is consider the top of the line.

Cheers!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
An 18650 would not work in a standard 6p body, but I believe an 17670 will. If I was going to get an m60, I personally would probably go with something like a dereelight Cl1H for a host, since it has type III anodization and a clickie tailcap (which the surefire does not).

daj013

Newly Enlightened
Wow guys, I can't believe what good advice I have received here.
Needless to say, as high tech as I am, I have lost out in the advances of lights and batteries.
When I got my stingers, I couldn't image anything better at that time. I feel that I am a decade behind.
I have got a lot more reading to do on this site. Right now my head is about to explode! I spent about 2 to 3 hours at work tonight researching and reading. Good thing I get paid for this! LOL!

I looked into the Dereelights. I was just about to buy one of these, especially after reading about all the customization options.
However, I then looked into the JetBeam. Next I was going to purchase this one. Then the next one and etc. They are all good.

I am going to have to sit back and absorb this info. I don't really want to buy every light and have $1000 investment in my first week.

I have pretty much decided to go with a single 18650 battery format.
The size of the light and run times looks to fit my needs best. Not too small and not too large. So that helps me narrow it down a little bit. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Also, thank you for the links on batteries and chargers and also for some of the vendors that sell these, including the lights. Turns out I don't live too far from 4sevens in Atlanta. Can't say I am going to buy from there, since I will have to pay for tax and shipping.

Hopefully I will narrow it down a bit. I guess I will have to make a spreed sheet to understand all this.

Thanks, I should have found this forum long time ago, so I have a little catching up to do.

David J

Gunner12

Flashaholic
4sevens/Fenix Store have shipping included in the price you see. They also have a coupon "CPF8" for 8% off purchases over $20 total. Not sure about taxes but the coupon might make up for it if there are taxes.

Gen3Benz

Newly Enlightened
Why not just get the streamlight stinger DS? 140 adv. lumens
They use the same batteries and wall charger....you would only have to buy flashlight.

edit: Unless you already sold the chargers/batteries

I like my wall charger, I just throw it back on everynight after work, not one battery failure.
I dont really want to pull the batteries out for charging.....home use is a different story though.

Last edited:

daj013

Newly Enlightened
Gentelmen,

Just to follow up and thank you for all the suggestions you have given me.
I ended up ordering a JetBeam Jet III Pro-ST and a Jet III-M. I should receive them the first of this week. I will probably end up buying an Olight M20 also, and maybe try the Fenix TK11.
I also purchased some 18650 Li-on rechargeables along with a Pila IBC charger. I think this should at least last me for a week or so, until I can find some more lights to buy.
You know, it seems that this is kind a addicting.
But I appreciate you helping me spend my money, that is what friends are for. Right?

David