Nitecore Extreme GDP Problems

macjmillsx

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,

This post will also serve as a howdy and introduction for myself. I frequent the knife and blade forums most often, but have ended up here with a question.

I just received a Nitecore Extreme GDP model today. It is my first flashlight, so that being said I am a complete N00b and Layman regarding flashlights.

I am hoping to impart upon the knowledge of you fine folks here on CPF!

So as I mentioned, I just received this light today. It looks and worked great! I say worked because I am having some problems.

When I got the light it was bright and worked well. I could quickly loosen then tighten the head to enter strobe and repeat to exit without issue. Later in the day I was playing with the light and got it to enter the variable mode where it ramps down by loosening the head slightly, and that is where I remain. I have tried to follow the instructions to ramp the light back up to max to no avail.

I am willing to concede that with electronics sometimes there are duds and failures, but I am really hoping that it is just my bumbling user error that is the problem. I would really be peeved to have to send it back after having it for less than 6hrs!

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! It is a GDP model, and I don't know if that makes difference in the operation or propensity to fail?

Thanks so much!

-macj

Last edited:

JBorneu

Enlightened
When you're in user-adjustable mode you have to quickly tighten and loosen the bezel again to switch the direction of ramping. If that doesn't work your light could be defective.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be certain you are tightening the head ALL of the way until you can't tighten it any more, before quickly loosening the head. Make sure your O ring in the head is lubed well so that it can be tightened enough that correct contacts are made, before you loosen the head. Make certain the contact surfaces are clean on the circuit board inside the head. Use a bit of alcohol or Deoxit red contact cleaner if necessary.

Last edited:

macjmillsx

Newly Enlightened
Defect seems to be the issue here. I bit the bullet and sent it back. I am going to accept a replacement of the same model, but I feel a bit concerned about the reliability of this light. Did I just get a dud, or is this at all common with Nitecore, and/or the extreme model?

I may consider other offerings from other manufacturers, would anyone be able to make a suggestion on which lights are regarded as the best.

What I am looking for is a compact high output led flashlight, I have no preference on AA or CR123. I love the size and shape of the Nitecore Extreme, but is there anything better or comparable out there?

Thanks again.

-macj

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Defect seems to be the issue here. I bit the bullet and sent it back. I am going to accept a replacement of the same model, but I feel a bit concerned about the reliability of this light. Did I just get a dud, or is this at all common with Nitecore, and/or the extreme model?

FWIW, mine's been working quite well for the month or so that I've had it.