diference between nx-o1 and nx-05 optics ?

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think of the NX01 as having a smaller, more evenly spread hotspot than an NX05... If the NX05 beam is 5 feet in diameter on a wall from a given point, then the NX01 is just less than 4 feet... The NX05 has a slightly more pronounced hotspot.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If any of y'all have gotten the original first run Arc-LSs, I believe those were retro'ed with NX01s...

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Bullzeyebill said:
Why, Slick?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 05 strips too much light out of the corona (in an attempt to gather it as a "hotspot"). That leaves a corona that is too dim for any real use. The 01 distributes light much more evenly - like the entire beam is "all hotspot".

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
I'm with Slick.

The NX-01 concentrates the light fairly evenly in a decent size spot (not huge) that's great for a task light, perfect for reading. The NX-05 tries to emulate a typical flashlight, with a tight hot spot and a large corona. It's a fine idea, but for that kind of beam pattern, I feel you need a lot more power behind it than a 1W LED. Having a hot spot for throw and a large corona is just too ambitious for a 1W, I find; it ends up failing both in the hotspot/throw and in the spill light. I think the NX-05 will be really nice on a 5W, or even on some of the more insanely overdriven 1W's, I haven't tried that yet, but on ~1W I definitely find the NX-01's more useful. I have NX-01's on my MADMAXes, KL1, and if I can get the damn thing apart, I'll have one in my LSH.