McLux - McFlood vs NX05 Optics

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
The McLux ships with the McFlood by default. The McFlood allows for a very wide flood of bright light. You can basically stand in the middle of a room and light up an entire wall with this sucker. As with me, many of you may not be quite used to this effect after using the like of the Arc LSL/LSL and some of the other Luxeon Star based LED lights.

Don't worry, there is a solution. The flexability of the McLux (not found in any other LS type light) allows you to change the optics (reflector) to achieve the "normal" beam that we're all familiar with. I am by no means technical when it comes to this stuff, so I'll speak in easy to understand terms. Quite simply, you can get an NX05 optics (basically a replacement reflector) to swap in-place of the McFlood (the reflector that comes with the McLux). The NX05 will give you the "traditional" beam that we're all familiar with.

It was very interesting comparing the McFlood to the NX05. Using the NX05 allows for a longer throw, with less flood. My next step was to compare the McLux with the NX05 to the ARC LSH-P. I used the same LSH and McLux as described in my McLux vs LSH-P (Beamshot) thread.

This is where it gets very interesting. The best way to describe the comparision between the McLux and the LSH is to think of the effect you get when comparing the SureFire P60/P61 lamp assemblies. What I mean by this is that the McLux does not throw any further than the LSH, however it produces more volume of light, which covers a larger area. You'll notice the same effect in using a P61 over a P60. It doesn't reach any further, but it has twice the area converage. I saw no noticable diference in throwing distance between the two lights, however the McLux displayed a wider beam than that of the LSH, while using the NX05 optics. It probably lit about half the area of the McFlood. This makes the McLux an incredible light for walking, hiking or general utility work. If you want to light up a room or a huge area of space, the default McFlood my be the solution for you.

All that being said, I think I'm going to keep the NX05 in my EDC McLux and the McFlood in the one that I keep on my nightstand. This light is incredible. I probably shouldn't let the cat out of the bag, however you also get an added treat by using the NX05, which is not noticably present with the McFlood. NO, I'm not telling you, so don't PM me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

So, to summerize, the stock McLux with the McFlood is great for close up work and for when you need to light the largest area possible. With the NX05 optics, you have a light with the same throw of the LSH, but with at least 50% wider area of flood-light.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put my McFlood into storage when I had 2 relatively dim early BB500 sandwiches. The BB400 Q3L I recently upgraded to now makes the McFlood worthwhile.

It's sitting in a Legend 2AA in my car. It's great for reading in the car and for finding anything on the floor or seat. Inside the car seems to be the one place I least tolerate a hot spot.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Nascar,

Well written reviews! nice job. BTW, got the M6. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

- Don

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gotta 3x123 McLux that's sportin' a W2 5W HD direct-drive... My first inclination was to use a NX01 to pull the light into a pizza size disk at 1m.

The problem is that my Luxeon has an off-set die defect that cannot be corrected due to the absolute precision fit of the McLux parts.. Using the McFlood in place of a collimator masks this defect. Eventually better quality luxeons will come around.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:I probably shouldn't let the cat out of the bag, however you also get an added treat by using the NX05, which is not noticably present with the McFlood. NO, I'm not telling you, so don't PM me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, are you using BOTH the McFlood and the NX-05 optics? I couldn't get the NX-05 into the McFlood?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Yes, using both optics. Did you cut the tab off the NX05? It won't sit flush until you do? What issue did you have?

Opps. I just reread your message. I'm not sure what you meant by your last sentance. The McFlood reflector pops out and the NX05 pops in.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "added treat" is the glowpoxy... Can't see it with the McFlood... But the NX05 will be more than glad to let you see that alien green glow...

Quite cool. Wish it lasted 10 hours or so...

Ardent

Newly Enlightened
Just got my McLux yesterday, Thanks Don!

What an attractive piece of engineering, beautiful!

I had the opportunity to use it indoors last night. The flood optics are excellent for indoor use. Too focused a beam tends to give the displeasing glare of a hotspot that is too close. This setup on the McLux gives plenty of pleasant, useable light.

I hope the future of the McLux brings plenty of interchangeable components and options.
Build your own modular light.
I'm looking forward to a 5W head!!!

Best Regards

Arden

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got my McLux & really like it with the McFlood. It would be nice to try it with optics, but unfortunately, mine is one of those that the McFlood doesn't pop out. It is kind of bothersome to not have the choice on a light that costs this much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
txwest,

That is no good! If you can't coax the reflector out using the tips I saw on another thread, I'll be happy to replace your unit with another when I get the balance of my order. I think Leo said another two weeks. Let me know.

- Don

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kept going back and forth between the Mcflood and the nx-05 and I tried to talk myself into the virtues of the smooth Mcflood. But for some reason, I kept getting the feeling that the Mcflood was putting out less over all light. Sure there was a bigger beam but even when I put it on something close up(really close up), I still got the feeling it was putting out less light than the nx-05. Maybe it had to do more with the difference of the way the two amplify or distribute the light. I wish I knew more about the way light is distributed off of different surfaces but I guess I'm just too knew to all of this to really understand what is taking place. Has anyone tried any of the small reflectors from any of the maglite products in a McLux or any others? Would this be something worthwhile to explore?

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
keithhr said:
Has anyone tried any of the small reflectors from any of the maglite products in a McLux or any others? Would this be something worthwhile to explore?

[/ QUOTE ]

hi keithr,

I did turn down a minimag reflector to fit into a McLux head, but I wasn't happy with the result. To make it fit, i had to rid it off some of its business end diameter, taking along with it much of the precious little light gathering goodness that most larger-diameter optics possess.

While you *could* get a fairly nice beam pattern (especially with a HD luxeon), the brightness really isn't all there. This becomes hugely apparent when you compare the beams of the McLux+NX05 against a McLux+MinimagReflector side-by-side.

However, just for fun - if you are so fortunate to have one of dat2zip's Most-Excellent BadBoy Sammiches in a minimag, try taking the head off the minimag and stick the minimag+sammich into a regular-sized mag reflector (ie. 3D/2D/3C/2C). Now THAT's a beam! Really.... if the minimag had a regular Mag-sized head and reflector - I'm pretty sure many die-hard flashaholics would own one! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
txwest,

That is no good! If you can't coax the reflector out using the tips I saw on another thread, I'll be happy to replace your unit with another when I get the balance of my order. I think Leo said another two weeks. Let me know.

- Don

[/ QUOTE ]Don,
Do you know where that thread is. I remember seeing it before I got my McLux, but not sure where now. If I had known I was going to have the problem, I'ld have paid more attention. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
TX,

I can't recall where it was. These threads seem to pop up and then die down all over the place. You might want to E mail Leo as I believe he had some solutions laid out.

- Don

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,
I found it. Thanks. It's in amongst the 49 pages on the McLux thread. Just lucked out & picked a page that had hotfoot commenting on the problem. I had a diamond sharpening stone mounted on a hardwood block sitting here & went to work beating the heck out of it. Sure enough, about the 8th or 9th hit, the McFlood popped out. A bit of epoxy had come up beside the LS & stuck to the reflector. Good thing the lamp takes such a licking & keeps on ticking. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can see I definately need to mix up so glow powder goo. Thanks for the offer & help.

Hey, I just noticed....it already glows! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
txwest said:
unfortunately, mine is one of those that the McFlood doesn't pop out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may have found out why some people have problems with their McFlood.

My McLux was making a strange halo and was somewhat lacking compared to my m!n!-mag MM QL3 with McFlood. The McLux light was limited by approx 1/4 and creating a "strange" overlapping ring effect.

I go to swap reflectors to see what the problem is and find... the hole in the new reflector is too small and wasn't properly seating on the led's base. The torquing down of the head pressure-fitted the reflector onto the led's plastic.

Placing my old McFlood in the McLux produced a brilliant white flood with a blue halo like the m!n!-mag used to, and switching the new McFlood causes the same ill effects in the m!n!-mag.

I hate to do this, but when I get the time (since I'm not using the MM m!n!-mag right now), I'll have to take a small file to the base of the McFlood to widen the hole.

Let me know if anyone else had this problem.

-Jason

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
BuddTX said:
So, are you using BOTH the McFlood and the NX-05 optics? I couldn't get the NX-05 into the McFlood?

[/ QUOTE ]
Budd - Nascar has TWO McLuxs. In one he uses the NX05, in the other the McFlood. You can NOT put both in at the same time. It is one of those laws of nature that two similarly-sized things cannot fill the same space. They are replacements for each other... not ADDITIVE.

Just wanted to make sure we were clear on that before anybody hurts himself.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Jason,

The McFloods came off the machine with a hole that was a tad too tight and the hole does need to be reamed out a bit. I have done this with all the McFloods that went to Wayne's shop. I suspect that Leo in one of his 2 AM McLux builds may have failed to catch this on some (at least your) McLux. Just another small attempt to insure a less than perfect unit. If you have a 7/32" drill bit, you can ream the reflector from the back side and this should take care of the problem.

- Don