Dereelight CL1H V4 MC-E!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today I received my new Dereelight CL1H V4 with the new MC-E 2.4A drop-in installed. The new Dereelight D26 reflector does a much better job with the MC-E than the standard Dereelight CL1H reflectors. Output appears to be the same with 2xR123's or 2x18650's. The extension tube for the CL1H V4 allows 2x18650's which would improve run time (total run time unknown by me at this point), but it makes the light fairly long.

Here is a pic of the MC-E installed in to the CL1H V4, along with a Surefire 6P and Dereelight C2H:

While the beam is improved with the new reflector, it isn't as smooth and floody as the proto-type P7 drop-in I got. However, the tint is better and the beam is more throwy than the P7 drop-in I got. There are some artifacts in the hot spot. I think the MC-E by nature will take a bit more effort to produce a clean beam, probably heavier texturing in the reflector, a frosted lens, etc. However, it should be fine in real world use.

Here is a quick beam shot in my messy basement of the MC-E in the CL1H:

Here is the C2H with a 4SD R2 WH:

I also received a 4SD RU R2 WH for my C2H. I upgraded from a 4SD RD Q5 WC. On the lux meter I gained at least 300-400 lux points, and I very much prefer the warmer WH tint over the cooler WC tint. What really amazes me is I can get around 5,300LUX with the C2H R2 WH. This is a TINY light that is comparable in throw to my Fenix TK10! It really is a little pocket flame thrower. My C2H with the Q3 5A only does around 3,800LUX, which is still very respectable for such a small light. :)

Here is a beam shot of my SF 6P with the IMR-9 incan bulb. You can see the CL1H MC-E easily beats it when it comes to total output:

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a very strange color temperature from an incandescent lamp!

I had the camera's white balance set to incan, so it will look very clean and white. :) Here is what it looks like if the white balance was left on daylight, as it was for the LED lights. All exposures were the same:

The actual color temp in real life is somewhere in between the two.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's interesting. I must have gotten a cooler WH tint pill for my C2H. It's slightly warmer than WC, which I guess I should expect from such a close bin.

Thanks for the updated pic, not so unusual tint now. :)

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm expecting my CL1H V4 MC-E to be delivered by Friday.I plan on EDCing it if I can find a suitable holster.Any suggestions?BTW nice beam shots,I can't wait to try it outside against my favorite flooder-a 2C ROP powered by 2 AW C-lithiums.

Greg G

Enlightened
Cool pics. Thanks! That C2H beam looks goo-woood.:D

I really like my WH tint Cree that came in my DBS last week. I ordered another R2 WH pill from Jay, and will be modding it into my Surefire L5. I'm looking forward to how it looks when done.

I think I should buy more of those pills from Jay while the getting is good.

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
Thanks for the beamshots.
What's the running temp like?
I understand the US dealer is not stocking the 2.4 version so you must have got yours directly from dereelight.

electric sheep

Enlightened
Did not see this:oops: I hoped the MCE would fit my standard OP reflector but looks like i need both.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the beamshots.
What's the running temp like?
I understand the US dealer is not stocking the 2.4 version so you must have got yours directly from dereelight.

Yeah, I ordered from Dereelight directly. I'm just used to dealing with Alan and like dealing with Alan. :)

I requested the 2.4A version, so hopefully it is 2.4A. I should test it against my 2.1A to see what kind of current it's drawing.

I haven't done any extended running time yet, but I'd expect it to get pretty warm on high within a minute or two. What I really like about these set ups is using low or medium. You get a lot of floody light, better efficiency, run time, etc. A CL1H with the MC-E on low or medium should make for a really nice walking light. I'll try to get more beam shots. :)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else get the new MC-E 2.4A pill and D26 OP reflector for their CL1H? I took another quick beam shots in our messy dinning room. :) Still recovering from hauling out the Christmas tree, have a piece of exercise equipment in there that is on it's way to the garage, etc. :)

First up the Fenix TK10 since many maybe familiar with it, and it's pretty similar to XR-E based P60 drop-ins:

Now the CL1H V4 with MC-E 2.4A :devil: :

Here is the DBS with the MC-E 2.1A pill and OP reflector:

I still need to swap the MC-E 2.4A and MC-E 2.1A around and take some readings to see how much of a difference there is. I'm really enjoying the MC-E in the CL1H V4 though. Not the best set up if you want to run the MC-E on high for a long period of time, as it will probably get too hot, but if you run it on low or medium it should be fine. Makes a great walking light on low. There is some PWM on medium and low. It's fairly fast, but those who are overly sensitive to PWM may not care for it.

jake25

Enlightened
Alan said something like he doesn't want to sell the 2.4A pill anymore.

I tried to get it from him but he refused, I think.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan said something like he doesn't want to sell the 2.4A pill anymore.

I tried to get it from him but he refused, I think.

Oh really? Maybe it was getting too hot. I'm sure he doesn't want his customers to burn up a MC-E and then expect a replacement. MC-E's probably need a larger heat sink than what the pills can offer, even when installed into a light. I own't run mine on high for long periods of time to be safe.

Shrigg

Newly Enlightened
...CL1H V4, along with a Surefire 6P and Dereelight C2H

I just picked up the same two lights, well actually the CL1H is a v1 or v2 and the C2H has the standard Q5 in it. Looking forward to their arrival!!

PS: Can I put the current modules in my older CL1H?

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine shipped out of china on the 8th. Any observations on normal shipping time to the midwest? (USA)

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shipping is usually 10-15 days I find. Midwest maybe add a day or two.

You should be able to buy just the MC-E and the D26 reflector and drop that into any P60 host. Some hosts may not heat sink as well as the CL1H V4 though. The CL1H's are designed to make good contact with the brass pill. Some P60 hosts only make contact with the top of the reflector, etc.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
how is the CL1H's throw (what is the lux @ 1m)?

The MC-E is not a thrower, especially in such a small reflector. I'd have to test again, but I think I was getting around 4,900LUX, which isn't horrible when it comes to throw, but a XR-E installed into the CL1H will throw much better, around 6,500LUX with a textured reflector, and around 10,000LUX with a smooth reflector.

The MC-E installed into the Dereelight DBS will throw fairly well, again I'd have to retest, but I think it was over 11,000LUX.