Mag rechargable -- Is it worth the $100 or so?

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I've waivered back and forth all weekend long. Even ordered the Mag Rechargable outfit for $90 and free shipping from Amazon ... and then later cancelled my order.

Talk about indecision.

Is it worth it?

And is the bulb as fragile as folks claim it is? And is the bulb really as hard to find as some say?

I've convinced myself that I need the outfit.

And then I've convinced myself I could use the $100 or so to buy a bunch of 123s for my Brinkman LX.

Help!

Saaby

Flashaholic
$135 will get you a Surefire rechargable...so throw another wrench into the decision.

I_rv_too

Newly Enlightened
Hmmmm.

$225 for two rechargable lights. Yea, that sounds like something I can sell to my wife.

"Hey, Pam," it's a real deal!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havn`t seen the MagCharger in person myself, but I do feel it is probably overpriced for what it is.

Like a big lumpy light, but want rechargeability? Buy yerself a trio of decent NiMH D cells, a 3 D cell Mag and a high output Xenon bulb of a suitable rating (that someone more knowledgeable than me will have to advise you on). Don`t forget the Writeright film to coat the lens and improve that ringy beam.

Then with the other 50 bucks pick up an Inova X5 or SureFire E1e, as your low level back-up.
grin.gif
Or if you don`t have a NiMH charger, again someone better informed than me could suggest a good`un for that sort of price. You at least then still have the option of rechargeability for everyday use, or using alkaline cells (with the stock bulb stowed conveniently in the tail cap) if your rechargeables cr*p out when you`re away from the charger.

Makes more sense to me!
tongue.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The Magcharger is a true workhorse. I used it for about 5 years and beleive me it too alot of abuse. Drops, throws, using as an impact weapon etc and it just kept on ticking. The bulb does blow under extreme shock but there is a spare in the tailcap. The bulbs are cheap and readily available. It is definitely worth the $90 if you want a larger size bright and rugged light. I sold mine and switched to the 9AN, which is about the same brightness and twice the cost but half the size. The 8NX is too dim and yellow, stay away from that.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Mag Charger that is at least 7 years old and possible older I lost one and can't remember when I replaced it. It is still on the original battery and lamp it may be beat up but it still works great.

Spork

Enlightened
sounds like you need a UltraStinger. I dont have the mag but i think the ultra is brighter. leds are quickly catching up to regular lights so careful what you buy.

snake

Enlightened
??
Any one have mag charger or UltraStinger pls advice the below:
if they have Al reflector? tempered glass lens? finally if the bulb used is a 6V bi-pin with T4?
Thanks

Eric S

Newly Enlightened
If you are not really concern with beam qualty, and size a 6D mag w/ nimh and a RS 6 volt bulb will match or better the US and Mags own rechargable. I`ve had two different sales people at two diff. Galyans too say the US wasn`t worth the $99 bucks performance wise over a 6D w/nimh. Me not having seen a US in action, I`ll still have to say in my opinion I don`t think it will better the big mag since it only has a 6V bulb an a batt. equivalant to 4C cells. But depending on which charger and batts. plus Mag, you can come close to or even spend more for everything. I already had my mag, and my batts. and charger came to $50 from Target (Energizer).
Also my 2C/3CR123L mag mod w/6V RS bulb is even more empressive than the big Mag, an I haven`t even got my bulbs from Carley yet. Their the two brightest and most powerful lights I have. My Surge and SL6 can`t touch them.
Eric

Azreal911

Enlightened
hey how did you put in 3 123's? did you have to make your own spacers? how did ya do it? i'm interested to try cause the runtime on that sucker would be like 1 1/2 - 2 hrs! nice! but 3 123's is like 9v!?!? a 6v bulb would blow up i thought? and 6D mag with a 6V bulb is really over driving it by 3v's. unless yer using rechargables. but i'm mainly interested in the 2c mod and what's the runtime on it.

Azreal911

Enlightened
one more thing, i'm curious if any of the rechargeable battery sticks for the surefires will it fit into the maglite 2C? i don't need to buy the whole kit I'll just charge it up with my rc car charger and plug it into the mag and run a much higer voltage bulb! nice!

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Magcharge is a hell of a light. FAR superior in overall usefullness to any of the Surfires. Sure it is bigger, and heavier, but it has good runtime, the batteries last for many dozens of cycles, and it is quite stout and bright. I have owned a couple and know of at least 2 dozen in use with the Sheriff's Deupties around here, and all love them.

The US is brighter, but the Magcharger runs longer.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by snake:
??
Any one have mag charger or UltraStinger pls advice the below:
if they have Al reflector? tempered glass lens? finally if the bulb used is a 6V bi-pin with T4?
Thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have an ultrastinger.

AL reflector YES for both
Tempered glass the Mag I believe has glass not for sure. the ultrastinger has lexan... I have run my ultrastinger (by accident) all the way down from a full battery and the 10 watt bulb did no damage to the lexan at all.

Bulb. No idea sorry...
All things being equal I would get the ultrastinger without a doubt.

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
I've owned a Mag rechargable for 12 years. It is a nice light and it is quite durable. No doubt it could double as a hammer (it weighs more than one) or a billy club. The question is: are you looking for a bright flashlight that is convenient to use, or a heavy metal stick to hit nails and people with? If the latter, buy a mallet for $8.00 or a piece of iron pipe. If the former, take your $95.00 and purchase a Surefire 9P, which can provide more light than a Mag rechargable (using the P91 LA) and can be carried in your pocket. I have both lights, and in my opinion there is no comparison. The 9P is terrific.

Glow Bug

Enlightened
I have Surefire 9n, M3, E2e, 10x Dominator..which by the way is more rugged than it is given credit for, a Magcharger and more. I think the Magcharger is a great light. When I want a bright long runtime light, thats the one I use. I like em all:) After all, what real flashaholic wouldn't? I carry my Mini-Mag with a Mr.MadMax pill to keep it healthy as my EDC along with my Arc aaa CPF edition.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by .:
shovel.
...for when my posts tend to get didactic; such as those lately.
winky.gif

That's why I tend to delete them.
KT
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">KT,

Didactic or not, your posts are always worth reading. Please try to resist the temptation to delete them.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Azreal911:
hey how did you put in 3 123's? did you have to make your own spacers? how did ya do it? i'm interested to try cause the runtime on that sucker would be like 1 1/2 - 2 hrs! nice! but 3 123's is like 9v!?!? a 6v bulb would blow up i thought? and 6D mag with a 6V bulb is really over driving it by 3v's. unless yer using rechargables. but i'm mainly interested in the 2c mod and what's the runtime on it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">ERIC S,

My questions are identical to Azreal's. If you get a chance I'd be very interested in your reply.

Brightnorm

mikep

Enlightened
Originally posted by brightnorm:
KT,

Didactic or not, your posts are always worth reading. Please try to resist the temptation to delete them.

Brightnorm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">and please try to resist the temptation to change your membername again!
wink.gif
grin.gif

jabajet

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by Bushman:
Try www.911surplus.com If they have one 56 dollars is hard to beat...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">911surplus appears to be out of business. I won an ebay auction on July 7 and never rec'd my light. Phone # listed on the site has been disconnected. Not recommended. (Their ebay id surplus911 has been disabled)

snake

Enlightened
Thanks Bushman,
seems UltraStinger is better for me as it is lighter and rechargable Sub-C is very handy here in HK..

But... the UltraStinger is difficult to found here..
tongue.gif

Latest posts