Airliner goes down in the Hudson just after takeoff

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazingly they are saying there are no fatalities. Luckily the plane did not break up and there were ferrys nearby to help. Could have been much worse like the 1989(?) Potomac crash. They are speculating birds this time, not ice. Guardian angels were working OT this afternoon luckily.

Last edited:

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is very likely, a plane that ditches while still under control, will be a fairly safe landing.

We had a 707 that landed in San Francisco Bay in the late 1960's (as I recall) short of the runway. There was a mud shelf for the plane to set on and everyone got off fine.

The plane even was eventually placed back into service (--I was amazed, salt water and aluminum+electronics do not go well together).

The Internet is amazing--ask and you shall receive:

11/22/1968

Japan Air Lines
DC-8-62

San Francisco, California

The plane landed in Pacific Ocean, 2.5 mile short of the runway in the shallow waters of San Francisco Bay. All 107 people aboard were safely evacuated off the plane. The aircraft was recovered from the San Francisco Bay 55 hours after the accident, repaired and eventually flew back home to Japan and was in service for many decades.

Thanks to everyone that everyone survived this accident in New York and the cold weather.

-Bill

Illum

Flashaholic
The plane even was eventually placed back into service (--I was amazed, salt water and aluminum+electronics do not go well together).

the only things that couldn't stand salt waters all the probes and the hinged negative pressure relief vents...that and the hydraulic actuators on the wing...but as long as the aircraft hasn't been submerged for too long usually a good hose down would be all.

As long as the entry angle isn't sharp enough to exceed the critical angle the plane will ricochet above the water...as long as the fuselage is in intact and cabin pressure still exists you can expect the plane to float for a bit before sinking. Jet fuel floats, a couple containers of gas makes awesome flotation devices...assuming they are intact

Luckily this incident was outstanding, zero fatality. If this was in snow thaw season that plane would flow to sea before anyone can do anything about it:candle:

Last edited:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
the only things that couldn't stand salt waters all the probes and the hinged negative pressure relief vents...that and the hydraulic actuators on the wing...but as long as the aircraft hasn't been submerged for too long usually a good hose down would be all.

As long as the entry angle isn't sharp enough to exceed the critical angle the plane will ricochet above the water...as long as the fuselage is in intact and cabin pressure still exists you can expect the plane to float for a bit before sinking. Jet fuel floats, a couple containers of gas makes awesome flotation devices...assuming they are intact

Luckily this incident was outstanding, zero fatality. If this was in snow thaw season that plane would flow to sea before anyone can do anything about it:candle:

Yup, in the vids on the news, the plane was floating. Quite a few of the passengers didn't even get wet when they were evacuated. They walked out to the wings and were then taken aboard the various ferrys that were there.

The Pilot should be commended for an excellent emergency ditch.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The Pilot should be commended for an excellent emergency ditch.

Not just that.... He was the last one off the plane. He walked up and down the inside of the plane, one end to the other; twice. Just to make sure that each and every passenger was accounted for, before he came off the plane.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing job by the pilots.

Even though it was a controlled landing, I am amazed the plane didn't come apart.

The engine shrouds normally hang below the bottom of the fuselage. Once they hit the water they put tremendous pressure on the wings and usually the wings shear off.

Empath

Flashaholic
Monocrom, your political commentary has been removed. If you wish to explain your views of the political parties, please do so in the Underground.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Amazing combination of luck and skill. Just heard while listening to the Boortz radio show that this was only the second successful intentional ditching of a large airliner. The first occurred in Russia is something like 1964.

Geoff

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
so it seems the engines both falling off before the plane landed kept from cartwheeling or breaking up.. they're looking for the engines with sonar now further uptown where they fell off, around the Washington Bridge area..
seems odd they would both fall off together; I wonder if they are made to come off easily in a water landing/and or goose attack ?? and if they aren't maybe they should be made so the pilot can jettison them if necessary..?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the turbine blades were damaged enough or even broken off, it would destabilize the engines to the point that they would vibrate very badly and break loose from their mounts.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
According to an ex-pilot talking head on the news tonight they do design engines to break away from their pylons in order to save the wing.

Geoff

tay

Enlightened
It makes sense... the engines are the lowest part of the plane, so they'd probably be the first to hit. They're designed to suck in a lot of air, not divert it, so they aren't streamlined at all.

I didn't see it happen... I saw a bunch of lights when they took it down to Battery Park City that night, but without binocs, I didn't get a good look at it. It crashed in Midtown, coming southbound. Nearly hit the GWB at 181st street. Touched down at ~56th street, and stopped about 10 blocks later. Then got towed to Battery Park overnight.

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
so it seems the engines both falling off before the plane landed kept from cartwheeling or breaking up.. they're looking for the engines with sonar now further uptown where they fell off, around the Washington Bridge area..
seems odd they would both fall off together; I wonder if they are made to come off easily in a water landing/and or goose attack ?? and if they aren't maybe they should be made so the pilot can jettison them if necessary..?

Engines were designed to come off in a ditching, pilot also has a singe button to close all vents etc to prevent water rushing in. this was the first airliner with fly by wire.

Illum

Flashaholic
Well, contrary to popular belief the engines are not afixed to the wing, instead they hang from it using hooks and above the hooks is where all the connections are, such as engine bleed, fuel, electrical harnesses, that sort of thing are.
the Engines are designed to come off during a ditch, so no real surprise to me when they wouldn't find the engines:p

Interesting, so the Fly-by-wire capability is pioneered in the A320 hey...I've always thought its the Boeing 777:shakehead