Engineers Light ideas ??

tardis

Newly Enlightened
As my job demands a light for looking inside machinery i.e. printing equipment, I was wondering (and with the help of you guys) what would make an ideal light for this task. It would have to be small, light, probably LED unless you think otherwise, white light, tough and be able to project a decent spot beam for looking at things in detail (i.e. parts, wire, circuit boards etc) This light would help me diagnose faults and problem solve. It wouldn't have to been fantastically bright.

So far, I was thinking Arc AAA but does this project a spot ? How about E1e ? KL1 ?

Any other ideas most welcome.

Thanks and regards

Tardis /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I build LOTS of Brinkmann 3AA mods direct drive with 1W luxeons.. And I can tell you the perfect match is here for you! Try a "McFlood" type reflector.. it will spread out light nice and even inside the confines of a ATX computer chassis..

I regard this combo as the perfect peripheral equipment "technician's light". Don't expect the light the throw past 15 feet or so.. it's taylored for point blank use.

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, I walked back to our service department to chat, carrying my recently-purchased E2E, and it took about 5 seconds of shining it up through a missing ceiling tile for me to hear "Where do I buy one??" The price caused a little bit of eyebrow raising, but by then they had it in their hands and the hook was firmly set. I bought the MN02 lamp (20 lumens) to put in once the thrill wore off, but either the thrill is tenacious or the 60 lumen standard lamp is what I need. 20 lumens may be more than enough for you - I like the 60 for when I'm walking, and I have a 15 lumen light coming.

Also, for what it's worth, I have an L1 on order, and am starting to oogle both the A2 and a C3 or M3. But those are mostly for cool factor - the E2E does everything I need it to so far.

From reading the posts on the LED lights, it seems like they are a little inconsistent on color - someone will mention, for example, that their L1 is more white than their KL1, and someone else will reply that it's the other way around for them. Same thing with brightness. I don't yet own an LED light, but it seems like the incans are more consistent in color and brightness. Hopefully I'll know by the end of the week, assuming that my L1 was in stock as advertised and they ship promptly.

Last night I finally got to rewiring my home theater and running all the wires through holes into the basement and then back up. All the equipment is in a built-in entertainment center, and there isn't much access and even less light. It is so awesome to have a light so small you can hold it in one hand and still have most of the use of your fingers, AND still be able to flip the thing around, push the button, and SEE where that blasted push-clip for left channel, side surround speaker is ;-) 60 lumens might seem like too much, but the advantage is that it is so much light you don't have to have it aimed precisely where you need it - the reflections are enough. When I was hunting in the basement for wire I'd just stuff through a hole, or for the hole I need to stuff the wire back through, it was nice to have a perfect, sold beam with no, well, holes, that I might mistake for holes.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Tardis,

For years I used a Mag Lite 2 AA for looking into things. When I needed more light I used the Princeton Tec 40.

I now use an ARC LSH-P (with a 2 AA body) and the Tec 40. I found the ARC AAA light output a little low for moderate distance inspection. It works fine close up though. I would not call it a spot beam, but it does have a hot spot in the center of it. The color is a bit on the blue side, but you can get use to it.

Other options (for the ARC LSH-P) include the many BadBoy - MadMax modifications. I like the BB400 in a Mag Lite 2AA. I still like the Tec 40. Lots of light, good run time, and easy on the pocket book.

On the other hand, the beam quality of the many SureFire lights is hard to beat.

Tom

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added another Streamlight Stylus to my collection the other day (a greenie) and was again reminded how handy and bright these slim pen-like lights are for looking down into machinery (long-running too, I think it lasts for more than 30 hours or so on 3 AAAA batteries).

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
tardis,
FYI - In the future you shouldn't post the same topic in multiple forums. The admins and mods here don't like it. Just thought I'd let you know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tardis

Newly Enlightened
LEDmodMan.

Thanks for the pointer. I didn't know that. I appreciate your time and advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

markus_i

Enlightened
UKE or Peli 2 AAA (in the penlight form factor). At least that's what I use in similar circumstances. Depending on packaging, you can get the Peli with a simple 90 degrees light guide, which comes in handy from time to time.
Plus, unlike most small LED lamps (Arc, CMG), the case is non-conductive (yeah, I know that you shouldn't work on live circuits, but sometimes it's convenient and occasionally you have to).