mods for 2AA minimag?

CB4

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and the world of modding lights. I have a 2AA minimag that I want to make better. I have a few LED lights including my current favorite of an Inova X5, but what I'd like to accomplish with this light is to have a powerful, small incandescent light that has some penetration power. What I mean by that is that this light is going in my EDC bag and will be used for at the office in case of emergencies like fire, building collapse, etc, where there will be a lot of smoke and dust. I've noticed that LED light tend to reflect off the smoke worse than incandescent....like high-beams in fog.

So I'm hoping some of you can offer advise on what I can do / buy to pump it up a bit.

Thanks for any advice!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Check this thread.

How much are you willing to spend on this mod?

I'm thinking that you might be able to buy a high power LED light with a Cree XR-E LED and swap in a neutral(more incan like) Cree XR-E LED for the warmer color. If you are willing to spend up to $70, check out the Fenix TK20. The warmer LED should be better in smoke then the 5mm LEDs.

:welcome:

CB4

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the advise. I'm was hoping to stay under $50. If it's more worthwhile to buy a better / more powerful incan straight off the shelf, any suggestions on one?

Thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For AA power, a LED would be better for higher power.

You can try a Romisen RC-N3 and swapping the cool white LED for a neutral white one. More incan like.

High Power LEDs are also usually less blue then 5mm LEDs.

Al Combs

Enlightened
Gunner12, can I ask what your avatar is an image of? I've been looking at it for almost a year and still can't figure it out. Sorry for the hijack.

Al Combs

Enlightened
Yes I see what you mean. That does look like a license plate, now that you mention it. But then what is the reflection above what would by that estimation call headlights?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You could have PMed me. It's this picture from Burnout Revenge, a video game, which I cropped and shrunk a bit to fit. It's a fun game though I haven't played online before, older PS2s don't have built in online capability.

Back the the thread,

If you were to buy a new light:
What price?(under $50 right?)
What batteries?
What output?
Multimode?(low, high, strobe, etc.)
Size?

CB4

Newly Enlightened
Back the the thread,

If you were to buy a new light:
What price?(under $50 right?)
What batteries?
What output?
Multimode?(low, high, strobe, etc.)
Size?

under 50
would like to stick w/ AA x2 or x4 is ok
something strong enough to penetrate smoke
multimode would be nice, but not required
no bigger than 6" long

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can try to get a neutral(between incan and cool white LED tint wise) or warm white LEDs(Incan like) and swap it with a cool white LED in a light like this one.

The only neutral white LED light powered by AAs that I know of is the Fenix TK20 and that is out of your price range.

Maybe a narrowed beamed light would work as well.

Latest posts