EDC replacement for the L1 Cree

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I have been carrying my L1 Cree for about 18 months now. Surefire even announce that they'll replace the L1 with the LX1 (120/15 lumen).

Just 5 years ago, the only way to reach 60 lumen is to get 2 x 123 with an incadescent bulb. Now a single NiMH AA can produce 100 lumen with a good LED.

At this point, I'm open to a single AA because it's common When go hiking, I can have all my gear (gps, radio, etc...) run of AA. Same goes with airplane travel. 123 still have the ability to power the light twice as bright.

So I'm still debating, is it better to get an AA light or just stay with 123? At this time, I'm looking at the Fenix LD10 (1xAA) and PD20 (1x123) or should I get an AA that can use 14500 cell?

Suggestion or comment are welcome.

batman

Enlightened
The problem with the LEDs seems to be the size of the bezels getting larger and longer with each performance increase. The bezel is getting to be as long as if not longer than the body of the flashlight in many lights. Small increase in performance, huge loss in useful form factor. Just slap on more X at the expense of Y..??? Its like a company laying off 40 people so an obese executive can have another bonus check.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its like a company laying off 40 people so an obese executive can have another bonus check.[/quote said:
Great analogy.

It is exactly what I noticed with my E1b. Side by side with my E1e the bodies down are about the same size. The bezel on the E1b is almost as big as the tube/tail. Still, I much rather carry and use the E1b.:twothumbs

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The problem with the LEDs seems to be the size of the bezels getting larger and longer with each performance increase.
After EDC'ing my old Luxeon aspheric L1, the Cree TIR L1 carries better IMO because of the bezel got shorter, if I recall correctly. I'll try to take some calipers to both this weekend. I know the body got shorter, and I'm pretty sure the bezel is slightly shorter as well due to that honkin' long aspheric lens in the Luxeon version.
Its like a company laying off 40 people so an obese executive can have another bonus check.
Great analogy.
+1:thinking:

Last edited:

wrf

Newly Enlightened
CalgaryGuy,

Regarding whether to stay with (1x123) or trying (1xAA), I would think it depends on how much you rely upon your light. If critical (you mentioned hiking), I suggest the (1x123) format, both for cell characteristics and the number of rugged flashlights available for it. Otherwise, the (1xAA) types can be a very pleasant experience.

I have countless SF E series in (1x123) and (2x123) formats. Still, the flashlight I pick up most is a (1xAA) LumaPower ConneXion. I hate the noise it makes, but its small and slender dimensions cannot be beat (extremely handy). Very good urban beam for around the home and car, but not what I would take into the woods.

Away from home or in the country, I rely upon one of the SF lights (running lithium primaries). I also don't fear going the whole night without a light if I should happen to drop it on the ground.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Regarding whether to stay with (1x123) or trying (1xAA), I would think it depends on how much you rely upon your light. If critical (you mentioned hiking), I suggest the (1x123) format, both for cell characteristics and the number of rugged flashlights available for it. Otherwise, the (1xAA) types can be a very pleasant experience.

Thanks for the reply, I would've though the other way. When I go backpacking, I would be using "common batteries" so I can carry one battery type for everything. But I guest that reliability goes down for a little bit if I go away from Surefire. Too bad that Surefire doesn't make any AA light...

Bigchelis, I think that the jump from incandescent to LED do make the bezel a bit bigger but LED bezel is slowly shortening and LED is more efficient and makes less heat. Older incandescent radiates a lot of Infrared and wasting batteries.