Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whichever is cheaper

• Whatever I can get

• Total voters

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
X Bright Luxeons from other trusted sources... nada on the rest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like they can control the phosphor process so well now; who are they kidding? Probably just a fancy repackaging lable for the current green tinted cr_p.........

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
More info here

"Mass sampling begins this month, and orders will be taken beginning in July."

"The new emitter's ability to closely mimic the spectral output of incandescent sources over the visible color range, including a significant increase in rendition of deep red colors over both conventional LEDs and fluorescents, stems from proprietary phosphor technology developed at Lumileds' Advanced Labs."

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 Luxeon Stars (low dome) bought a long time ago from Peter Gransee that could only be called "Warm White" luxeons. I picked them up when they were just starting to become available and Peter was about the only source for small quantities. They must have a high peak in the amber area and the color is just gorgeous. No green, no purple, no blue, just amber-white light all the way through. Red illuminated objects look just like they should - no fading or blue-shift at all. I keep moving them from project to project but wouldn't give them up for the world.

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer white that is true white -- the color of light from the sun. But if I can't get that, I'd rather go towards blue than yellow-green. Cool is cool.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
As long as they don't have that "rotten dog urine green" color, I'll take the warm white over that bluish tint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The warm white color is best exemplified in my Arc-LS prototype and my Arc-LS second in white.

Tomas

Banned
I have two Luxeons right now, An Arc Hybrid and a Sandwich Shop BB400. The Arc is a cool white with just a hint of green at the edges and the BB is best described as a brilliant warm white. Physically the Luxeon in the BB is an ugly little bugger, but the LIGHT from it is beautiful.

tomsig03.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that the warm Luxeons will *appear* brighter. By this I mean that when measured by the usual means, warm LEDs equal in brightness to the cool LEDs will *appear* brighter, since more of the available light will fall into the the areas of the light spectrum where the human eye is most sensitive. Also, the light will appear more appealing to the eye, hence tending to prejudice the viewer in favor of the warm LED.

Going even further out on a limb, I'm going to predict that cool LEDs will be more difficult to find and will be more expensive in the future. My reasoning here is that the warm LEDs will resonate with the general public and production will shift toward the warm version.

6pOriginal

Enlightened
I actually like the bluish color, I use one of them as a reading/late-night-study light, that color seems to keeps me awake...lol....and not to mention how much fun it was when people asked me what is it "is that a mini HID? it looks like the head lights on my BMW...etc" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Well, naturally,I like a good white color the best.
But, if it has to be off white, I like it to be on the greener side, I HATE purple colored leds.
A slight blue is, eh, OK.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it has an amber or yellow tint then I think "yuk, dim orangy incandecent" I hate yellow tints. I'd rather have blue tints. Things seem brighter to me when they are white or have a blue tint. Why? uhm, maybe it's because I simply don't associate it with dim yellow incandecents.
But things do seem to have a sharper contrast with blueish light to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
I like warmer ones if only because they tend to be brighter (in my samples) and because other folks aren't as scared by the color. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My brightest L4 is also my mossiest one. If any of the "warm" fans want to talk to me about it, and another that is just on the yellow side of white, drop me an email. I've finally realized that I probably only need two L4s.... not four. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love white and slightly blue. Purple, is so so. Green just gets me angry though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Zeppert

Enlightened
IlluminatingBikr,

My feelings exactly - I agree 100%!

I love white and slightly blue tint. But green is ugly and very annoying.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scared by the color? How so? I think that would be funny or advantagous. But thats just me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I like the color Purple, but I'm undecided on that in my flashlight color tints. I don't mind it but would rather have blue...
BTW, Several people including me have wondered how purple results from yellow and blue phosphurs.. It's obvious how a green, yellow, or blue tint can be, but purple? Well, don't think amount of phosphur, but think about the color spectrum of the actual LED blue die.

If it's more towards the green spectrum (cyan), I belive then that is how purple ends up being created.
Why? I have StreetGlow mini neon's. These are the newest ones that use aqua (cyan) colored gas, and a yellowish looking phosphour coating in the tube. They glow purple.
That's my guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif