need a terralux vs magled shootout

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
we really need a direct comparison from one of our famed reviewers that shows the true grit of the terralux mag dropins vs. the magled. one of those famous graphs we see could show us the lumens and runtimes comparing each light. i've wanted to see one for a while but tonight while at a friends house we had a power outage. i've hooked her up with a 3d magled and it was 80% as bright as my 3d terralux, and from what i understand the magled has more runtime! i really thought the terralux was suppose to be twice as bright. am i off in my impression. maybe i need to test another magled and another terralux. i already know the magled fades, maybe thats a part of it. but i'd love to see that graphed side by side. these two are our bread and butter upgrades for the mag and an educated decision can more easily be had with better information. oh, and include an sscp4 modded magled. what do you guys think?

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
it would be invaluable though if they could both be tested in the same manner so we can also compare their relative brightness vs. runtime. this needs to be done in the same lightbox by a neutral party doing both lights. this guy has posted a ton of graphs over here and i have pleaded my case there.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/216438

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
by the way, i've seen the top link you posted. its in my favorites. i use it to convert non-flashaholics to see the light. i can see the terralux runs full power for 20 hours then fades where as the 4d magled runs 44 hours then dies. question is, is the terralux twice as bright (15 mins after being turned on to be fair, the magled drops in output quickly)

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
To the naked eye I don't think that you would see the Terralux as twice as bright. I have the Magled 4d and I use it for my house light. For the price of the Terralux upgrade you could almost get another Magled.

sabre7

Enlightened
There are relative advantages and disadvantages to all Mag dropins depending on their intended use, so the famed reviewers should include NiteIze and Malkoff comparisons as well.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
sometime I did a dimming & "runtime" test with both....Let's see If i find it when my PC us rescuscitated this week...

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
calling all cpf members...

if you want a shootout between terralux 3cell dropin and a 3 cell magled, sethbuilt might do a review for us. he usually keeps the sample as compensation/cover his expenses. this sounds totally reasonable to me. i'm willing to put in for this, we need a terralux donation. if you have one for sale, and are willing to donate a quarter of it post here. we'll get you partial compensation for your sale.

if you just want to contribute to getting this test going, i'm thinking 4 donators of $6 each to cover the cost of a terralux and 6 batteries for this test. i guess we really just need 3 more donators cause i'm in. if you have a working, like new terralux we'll get you 3/4 the cost, roughly $15 and consider the difference a contribution to this cause and then we'll only need two more donors. dealers welcome and we'll post your name up and down with gratitude and if the mods allow it we'll start a thread thanking you for your generosity.

guys hopefully we're about to get the most needed runtime thread to reference for ourselves and help answer every noobie question "what should i upgrade my maglite with, this is my first post." lol. seriously this will be one of the most visited shootouts since flashlights.com did this one
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_mag-led.htm

let me know if you guys are in to contribute or have another idea of how to get this shootout done.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
k, if you're in for $5 or 6, i might also have a seller for $15 so we only need one more guy. oh boy, i cant wait. selfbuilt does the best reviews too. this shootout is badly needed. if he did loaner tests we could do a malkoff at the same time. the single led upgrade all inclusive mag shootout. we'd call it sluaims for short of course. (ok, will be spending more time on the acronyms).

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
it would be invaluable though if they could both be tested in the same manner so we can also compare their relative brightness vs. runtime. this needs to be done in the same lightbox by a neutral party doing both lights. this guy has posted a ton of graphs over here and i have pleaded my case there.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/216438

I've ordered 1 of each of these for testing; should have them by the end of the week. Graphs to follow soon thereafter on the above linked thread.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6exb.html

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-1f.html

The Mag 3D LED was tested in the above linked thread in post #21.

C.P.T.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
big waffles, AWESOME. i'd like to see that 1watt one too, but i have a feeling it's going to be nothing better than a magled. i'm assuming the efficiency of the led in the terralux sscp4 will blow magled away. however i have heard some things about terralux resistor being significantly worse than the magled, maybe 60-70% efficient if i'm not mistaken. that's horrible. but when the led is twice as efficent... :candle::candle:

i'd still like to put in for the batteries for some of these very informative tests you've been doing. i know they're labor intensive not to mention going through tons of d cells. can we get your paypal address?

KOSPAP,

yes, essentially bigW saved the day. he took what we were about to do on the midnight train to georgia and put it on a red eye flight. too many movie references? n-e-ways, it'd be nice if you want to put in for his projects. i'm still going to.

jaundice

Enlightened
Big Waffles;

Hey, that thread is great! You do a valuable service to the forum!

-John

BigWaffles

Newly Enlightened
I'm just glad I can contribute. I've learned a lot from surfing this forum; hopefully I can leave somthing for the next Noob.

jasonsmaglites,

Not sure about the 'red eye flight', more like coach. I'm still waiting on the shipment from BatteryJunction. Maybe tomorrow.:sigh:

C.P.T.

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
today is tomorrow. cool! oh but it's sunday :thumbsdow
maybe monday though! this roller coaster of excitment is making me :green: