• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler: L5/U2/C*/M*(z59/z58) HAIII Alu. tailguard - tailstanding a la Nekomane-style

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
EDIT 6/18/2010:

After a long, long, long time, a limited run of these tailcaps are now available, in black. $37 shipped/paypaled. Sale thread here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3422933#post3422933

Since it's been so long since the original feeler thread (I don't even know if you guys are still around lol. I rarely am anymore), I'm just opening it up to everyone, but giving you guys a heads up here and will try to give you first dibs.

Thanks all!

- - - - - - - - -

ORIGINAL THREAD:

Interest list in 3rd post

Hi guys,

Puttin' out a feeler on how many might be interested in buying a Nekomane-style tailstanding tailcap (not actually the entire tailcap - like Nekomane's, it would be just the tailcap butt end, the retaining ring). I love the L5 and the only thing that I would change on it would be to make it tailstanding, and this would accomplish that.

It would be in HA Natural, and also have an option of trit slots
This would make your C2, C3, L5, M2, M3, etc., be able to tailstand, and still use the stock switch guts. Very minimal change to the beautiful stock look of your light.

I think price would end up being about $25~$30, because it would be a pretty small run.

Any interest out there?

Edit: This would be for only the clicky version, i.e. only the Z59 clicky or equivalents would work. Also, I received permission ahead of time from Nekomane to use his idea/design, so we're okay on that end.

Update: Looks like these will be the final finish choices:

(All straight-body, all Alu.)
A. HA III Natural (aka OD or Olive Drab)
B. Type II anodize Black
C. Clear anodize 'Silver'

So if y'all could update your choices to match one or more of these three, that would be great! Thanks!

Last edited:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Feeler: L5/U2 HAIII Alu. tailguard - tailstanding a la Nekomane-style

(This thread originated in CPF-m, but has moved over here, with the previous replies below in this post:)

MSaxatilus
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MCMC. Great idea. Any chance these would fit on a U2?

MorpheusT1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Should fit on the U2 aswell. I'm presuming this is for the clickie switches only.
Maybe you should put it in your thread. The momentary switches doesent have the ability to screw the top off.

mcmc
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey MSax!

Yes sir, it sure would - however it won't be available in HA black - at least not in this run (may be a future possibility). Or, you could go for bare alu, to give a nice accent to your U2.

Thanks for the heads up Morpheous - just added! =)

leukos
What about making them in stainless? That would look good on black or HA tailcaps and very durable, especially if you are making trit slots.

mcmc
Hey Leukos - I did pursue that line of thinking, but for SS another set of tooling would have to be used, and it would take longer b/c of the hardness of the material, thus driving up the price. So I decided alu would probably be better =) I guess it depends on how many people would be interested in an SS version, and we can see...Personally, I prefer a more 'sterile' look, i.e. matching the L5's HA nat. But I could see how the SS on a U2 would look snazzy =)

merlin
I'd be interested. Would there be a option to have a crenelations? No biggie, but it would be nice. +1 The U2 with SS would look sharp!

mcmc
Oh yes, it does have crenelations! Three, in fact =) Makes it easier to access the switch, and also does look snazzier. Sorry, should have mentioned that. I'll try to post a pic of what it would look like, later on today.

merlin

If need be, I can donate a somewhat pre-opened Z59 to the project for sizing. The cylindrical part and the button/switch part was not properly sealed, and allowed water to seep through. It works more or less, but it very easy to separate and can be used as a "Engineering Sample."

Bullfrog
Big interest here - great idea! I would definitely purchase one, if not two.

mcmc
Cool, bullfrog - will keep you posted =)

Thanks for the offer merlin! May take you up on that - I have a spare tailcap I could send if necessary as well, but will let you know if we need yours.

Last edited:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interest list:

Update: Looks like these will be the final finish choices:

(All straight-body, all Alu.)
A. HA III Natural (aka OD or Olive Drab)
B. Type II anodize Black
C. Clear anodize 'Silver'

MSaxatilus - 1xC, 2xB
leukos - 1xB | probably 1xC as well
merlin - 1xA, 1xC
Bullfrog - 1xA | possibly 2
tx101 - 1xC
senna94 - 1xA
nailbender - 1xA | possibly 2 (dep. on finish)
gswitter - 3xB
sgt. LED - 1xC
ace0001a - 1xA, 1xB
gsegelk - 1xA | trit
The Sun - 1xA, 1xB
Flea Bag - 1xA
PhantomZ - 2xB | trit
Edwood - 1xC

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you ship internationally, I would be interested in one :)

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you ship internationally, I would be interested in one :)

No problems shipping internationally =)

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast

No problems shipping internationally =)

:twothumbs

EDIT .... I would prefer a raw or clear anodized one :D
will these be the flared or straight version

Last edited:

MSaxatilus

Flashlight Enthusiast

MCMC,

Actually, you can put me down for "Possibly 3". I'll definitely take one BA version now (if you go SS that would be better), and if you go with with a HA-BLK version, I'd take 2 more.

Thanks for doing this by the way, if you do decide to go ahead. Great idea. :thumbsup:

MSax

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

:twothumbs

EDIT .... I would prefer a raw or clear anodized one :D
will these be the flared or straight version

Updated =)

I've not seen a flared version, Nekomane only made a straight version. I kind of prefer the cleaner lines of the straight version, as opposed to the style say found on the E2DL? What about the rest of you guys?

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

MCMC,

Actually, you can put me down for "Possibly 3". I'll definitely take one BA version now (if you go SS that would be better), and if you go with with a HA-BLK version, I'd take 2 more.

Thanks for doing this by the way, if you do decide to go ahead. Great idea. :thumbsup:

MSax

Updated, MSax!

No problem, of course it originated in selfish motives =) wanting to equip my L5. But thinking about how hard it's been to find the elusive Nekomane U2 tailcap, I would also be excited to help others find one. Especially since I think tailstanding nearly doubles the utility of a light (at least in my use).

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

By the way, I think most likely we're looking at only being able to do HAIII natural without trits, or bare alu. I'm still looking into the other options but they seem less likely due to complexity and cost.

merlin

Newly Enlightened

:popcorn:

senna94

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am in for at least one!!

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be interested in a couple depending on finish.

dave

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll commit to one HA natural. Three more, if you do HA black.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

senna94, nailbender, and gswitter: got you guys down :thumbsup:

Funny! I would have guessed there'd be more L5/C2/C3/M2/M3's out there, than U2's, so I figured HA Nat would be more popular...but it looks like the opposite, right now.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Funny! I would have guessed there'd be more L5/C2/C3/M2/M3's out there, than U2's, so I figured HA Nat would be more popular...but it looks like the opposite, right now.
I've never seen sales numbers, but I'd assume there's more Z59's (black) in circulation than Z58's (natural). The only lights that ever shipped with the Z58 were the L5 and L6, right? The Z59 has shipped with the U2, 6PD and 6PDL.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: Feeler: L5/U2/C*/M*(z59) HAIII Alu. tailguard - tailstanding a la Nekomane-style

Interested in a flared black or even better SS.

Flared gives you more thumb room and with the increased width the tailstanding action is more stable. This will be for my U2by2 so not after Nat!

Let me know! :thumbsup:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've never seen sales numbers, but I'd assume there's more Z59's (black) in circulation than Z58's (natural). The only lights that ever shipped with the Z58 were the L5 and L6, right? The Z59 has shipped with the U2, 6PD and 6PDL.

Good point. Do all the C/M series incans come with twisties? That would make sense then.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Feeler: L5/U2/C*/M*(z59) HAIII Alu. tailguard - tailstanding a la Nekomane-style

Interested in a flared black or even better SS.

Flared gives you more thumb room and with the increased width the tailstanding action is more stable. This will be for my U2by2 so not after Nat!

Let me know! :thumbsup:

If we can't do a flared design, would you still be interested in a straight-body design, if we get black or SS? Lmk and I'll put you on the list.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update: It appears HA black is a harder process than HA nat - but good news is that we can get the black color, but just regular Type II anodize. Also, clear anodize is doable as well.

So, for you folks looking for a black tailcap, should I put you down for the qty's you mentioned, for this Type II anodize black version?

And for those who wanted SS, are you willing to go with the bare anodize Alu?

Thanks guys! =)