2xaa LED maglite (MGLSP2201H) Parts needed

Andy Monty

Newly Enlightened
Hello all (first post so i hope i have stuck this in the correct place)

right I have a 2 x AA (LR6) Maglite LED torch having first had the usual problem with the switch a while ago managed to find a strip guide on here so managed to sort that..

Now i have noticed for a while the LED emmitter had begun to go Cloudy and i noticed last night that the rubber cap has fallen off now :sigh: before i attempt to clean it up and stick it back over the LED where can i get a replacement LED module?

I have looked on http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.917~page.1

i know i want a 3W led 3volt but which one if any are a direct drop in replacement? as i know the LED is a push fit and is held in place by thermal grease

also where can i get a replacement Reflector for said torch? (Im in the UK)

Thanks in advance for any help

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a look in all the usual Maglite spares stockists and found nothing
for the Minimag LED.
Why dont you consider buying a new torch .... Fenix or Nitecore perhaps :naughty::devil::poke:

Andy Monty

Newly Enlightened
Thanks chaps

Tx101 I have too hence i asked on here had one supplier trying to convince me that a standard bulb AA reflector would fit..... erm of course it will :crackup: Sent them pics of the 2 reflectors side by side not had anything back from them yet :thinking:

I don't really need any more torches :eek: i have a size able stockpile here already just wanted to get it working something like right and sling it in the car....

cfromc

what is Loews? im assuming its a stockist in the US problem is that postage will be a killer on a £2-£3 ($5ish part)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Lowe's is a US home improvement store.

As for the Maglite, I'm a bit confused about the problem, can you post a pic?(posting a picture will require hosting the pic on a site and posting a link here)

The only LED module that I've seen that fits the MinimagLED is another minimag LED module. Are you just looking for another emitter or the whole module? The module has a boost driver to boost the 3v from the battery to around 3.6v that the LED needs. Also a 3w previous gen LED(the Luxeon III used in the MagLED is one of them) is only half or less the output of a current gen LED at the same power, so swapping in a current gen LED will get you twice the output for the same power.

A 1w LED can also be driven at 3w if there is enough heatsinking. A 3w LED can be driven at 1w for more efficiency. The wattage doesn't mean much.

The reflector, I don't know if anything other then the MinimagLED reflector will work.

:welcome:

Andy Monty

Newly Enlightened
3203154935_6fb94c551e.jpg

3204007010_01ea51592d.jpg

Oh and thanks for the welcome :wave:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC it is an epoxy dome. How did that fall off?

If you can push out the module(search around, I don't know how to push out the module), this might be a good time to swap in a Seoul P4 instead of the Luxeon III. Double the output but with the same runtime.

It takes 4x the output for one light to seem 2x as bright as another, so 2x the output will appear around 40% brighter by eye.

Andy Monty

Newly Enlightened
I just picked it up and saw it floating about inside :shrug: which makes a change from my usual methods of finding something that isn't broken then trying to fix it :whistle: :oops:

here are a few more pictures of the removed LED unit...

3206751957_430bf3c489.jpg

3206755687_ed12463dcd.jpg

3206758901_0d48d9dc76.jpg

oldblazer

Newly Enlightened
One of my coworkers had the same problem with his 2xAA magled. I sent it back to Maglite for warranty and they replaced it with no questions.

Like many on this forum, I have been less than impressed with these lights.

Andy Monty

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that Gunner that should keep me going (now where did i put my branding....sorry soldering iron)

Oldblazer im in the UK and it looks like i'd have to post it to the states for repair and having been inside it myself can't see them honoring any warranty :ohgeez:

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The second thread one could work better(and seems a bit simpler). Here's the LED, but the site does take a few weeks to ship to you and the packaging isn't that good. You can find places in Europe that also sell Seoul P4s. Make sure that you are getting the U or U2 bins(U2 is brighter, but both will give at least double the current output).

brisco

Newly Enlightened
Nady the pictures you posted look nice. I need to know one thing though. I would like to replace my led but cant remove it from the housing. Can you post the link of the strip guide you found. Thanks.

Hello all (first post so i hope i have stuck this in the correct place)

right I have a 2 x AA (LR6) Maglite LED torch having first had the usual problem with the switch a while ago managed to find a strip guide on here so managed to sort that..

Now i have noticed for a while the LED emmitter had begun to go Cloudy and i noticed last night that the rubber cap has fallen off now :sigh: before i attempt to clean it up and stick it back over the LED where can i get a replacement LED module?

I have looked on http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.917~page.1

i know i want a 3W led 3volt but which one if any are a direct drop in replacement? as i know the LED is a push fit and is held in place by thermal grease

also where can i get a replacement Reflector for said torch? (Im in the UK)

Thanks in advance for any help

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
That same exact thing happened to me (the dome fell off, then the led chipped apart.) I got it on sale at Walmart for $10 so im not mad, just disapointed. I would say wait for the new multi-mode magled 2 and 3 AA, which is brighter and has a low mode. Hopefully that one won't be so fragile.