Which LED to upgrade Streamlight Stinger LED?

Windex

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the flashlight modding game, fortunately I do know my way around a soldering iron.

I have a Stinger LED which is currently rated at about 100 lumes. I would really like to "bump up" the power on it for duty use.

I would like to go as bright as possible keeping the runtime on the flashlight about the same. IIRC, the flashlight's specs for power are about the same as the TLR-1 flash light that I've seen other people on this forum mod.

I saw one person use this:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=187355

However, it looks like that is an "older" unit.... is there a newer item that would be brighter? That unit would be around 200ish lumes driven on the streamlight stinger.

Then I saw this...
http://www.seoulsemicon.com/en/product/prd/zpowerLEDp7.asp

I'm guessing that I would not be able to run this on my flashlight, but holy crap that's a lot of lumes.

Windex

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, mine is not the HP

Would it still run well, even though it wouldn't be getting full power?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Presuming that you have a current Streamlight Stinger LED, a simple LED swap won't get you too much more lumen.

The Seoul P7 is much larger then the Luxeon K2 TFFC used in the light(I'm presuming a TFFC K2 because most other "C4 LEDs" have that). It will be brighter because it will be more efficient but the much larger emitting surface also makes the hotspot much wider and much less throwy. It should run if you can fit it.

Windex

Newly Enlightened
Presuming that you have a current Streamlight Stinger LED, a simple LED swap won't get you too much more lumen.

The Seoul P7 is much larger then the Luxeon K2 TFFC used in the light(I'm presuming a TFFC K2 because most other "C4 LEDs" have that). It will be brighter because it will be more efficient but the much larger emitting surface also makes the hotspot much wider and much less throwy. It should run if you can fit it.

If the throw would be less with the P7, I think I'll avoid it.

There wouldn't be an increase/upgrade with the P4?

Thanks for the replies.

Evil Homer

Newly Enlightened
(I'm presuming a TFFC K2 because most other "C4 LEDs" have that). .

My Stinger c4 led has a cree xr-e, 4 bond wires, silver die. Q5 perhaps? Super "white-white" tint as in no color cast, other than some slight dis-coloration in the halos/rings, Id guess "WD" tint bin. Though I've seen others that use a Luxeon K2. As I'm sure you've realized Streamlight's term "c4" doesn't refer to a specific led, rather it's a marketing term not unlike chevy's "vortec" or chrysler's "hemi". Sure those refer to specific traits of the engine, it also refers to several different engines, often that span decades of technological improvement. Wether or not we in the flashlight enthusiast community like it (I'm guessing most don't), you have to admit, it's a good marketing move by Streamlight. They have a relatively stable (some might say static, but I'm a Streamlight fan, so I'll be nice:naughty:) product line with the stinger series, so it's important for them not to get caught up in the LED arms race that has a new top-tier emitter coming out every 6 months. If they have 20,000 flashlights out there on shelves with "old" LED's in them, well, that's a tough road for them and the re-seller. However if they just call it a "C4", well, then that's the top of the line, problem solved in most cases.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Stinger c4 led has a cree xr-e, 4 bond wires, silver die. Q5 perhaps? Super "white-white" tint as in no color cast, other than some slight dis-coloration in the halos/rings, Id guess "WD" tint bin. Though I've seen others that use a Luxeon K2. As I'm sure you've realized Streamlight's term "c4" doesn't refer to a specific led, rather it's a marketing term not unlike chevy's "vortec" or chrysler's "hemi". Sure those refer to specific traits of the engine, it also refers to several different engines, often that span decades of technological improvement. Wether or not we in the flashlight enthusiast community like it (I'm guessing most don't), you have to admit, it's a good marketing move by Streamlight. They have a relatively stable (some might say static, but I'm a Streamlight fan, so I'll be nice:naughty:) product line with the stinger series, so it's important for them not to get caught up in the LED arms race that has a new top-tier emitter coming out every 6 months. If they have 20,000 flashlights out there on shelves with "old" LED's in them, well, that's a tough road for them and the re-seller. However if they just call it a "C4", well, then that's the top of the line, problem solved in most cases.

I just "upgraded" a Stinger LED with one of the C4 LED/Switch assemblys and the light is no brighter. The tint is a bit different, and that is it. You are saying that your Stinger is using a Cree?? How can you tell and where did you buy your Stinger LED? I am going to assume the kit I installed was one of the K2's by looking at it. Also, do you know if there is a difference in runtime between the Lux III, K2, and Cree versions? Is the Cree version any brighter? Thank you!

Mike

PM01

Newly Enlightened
Luxeon versions were rated at around 65 lumens. The serial number does not have the "c4" designation in front. I just recently picked up another streamlight stinger that has the cree based LED. Measured 0.95 amps going through the LED so if it's a high bin Cree, it's more than 200 lumens.

The cree based ones are using a textured reflector.

dirtech

Enlightened
I upgraded a TL-2 from a luxeon to a P4 and the reflector focuses the beam almost identically. Not sure how how well this will relate to your light, but perhaps it tells of the cross compatability of reflectors for luxeon and SSC P4 emitters. If you go this route I reccommend using one of Photonphanatics U3 binned P4s sold in the marketplace. They have a wonderful vanilla white beam and are currently the most efficient P4s out there at the moment I believe.