Need help determining LL T7 version please

foggy 92

Newly Enlightened
Somewhat underwhelmed by the output of my new LL T7, and wondering if there is any way to determine if my light is the new (2008-2009) 167 lumen model or the older, lower lumen version?

-is there any serial to identify this?

-Can you see if the chip is a Cree or some other manufacture by looking at it through the lens? (Did the pre 167 lumen cree use a luxeon?)

-Does the 167 lumen T7 have push-pull focus whereas the old lower lumen version has twist-focus?

Help much appreciated! :)

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently received my T7 and I must say I'm more than impressed/satisfied. Perhaps this is simply due to my inexperience in high quality torches but man, I like the T7.

It is my knowledge (very limited) that the T7's are new pro line of lights debuted 2008.

jupello

Enlightened
Yeh, LL T7 is pretty new light, and they should all be equipped with cree Q4 or newer leds.. but LL might have had some older lights that look a bit like T7.
Just check that it takes 4x AAA batteries (I think that their older models used just 3x AAA batteries). And the led is cree if it looks like this:
led_close280.jpg

You should get pretty good view of the led when you zoom the lens as close to it as possible.

foggy 92

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure it's a Cree, and this being my first new flashlight since a mag solitaire some 15yrs ago, I did not know what to expect outputwise. I am quite satisfied with the T7 in most ways, build quality seems almost top notch, an 8,5 out of 10... :)
I believe it to be weather resistant enough for even severe splashes and heavy rain use, however no light for submerged use as the pushpull fast focusing will act as a piston and actively suck in water if accidentally or intentionally moved underwater.
Some plastic parts inside could rather have been aluminum, there is a slight wobble in the lens assembly when fully extended, and the plastic internals of the three step switch might not be bombproof for a hundred years.

-- I have as of yet not owned any SureFires or higher end lights, but for now I am actually very very pleased with my T7, and the remarks made above are mostly nitpicking by a perfectionist mind... :)

-For the price I will highly recommend it!
(and as I see it outperforming competitors in shootouts, this light is by no means dim. it was only my expectations of flashlight development that were a bit too high given the HID revolution in car headlamps...)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'm glad you like it!

The LedLenser has more throw because the optic puts much more light into the hotspot then a reflector. With a reflector, the light that isn't hitting the reflective surface becomes the spill beam. The optic in the LedLenser collects this spill light and puts it into the hotspot. Good if you just need to see far but not that good if you need to see close and further range at the same time. Some optics provide spill while others have as much of the light as possible in the hotspot.

IMO a bit expensive for what it is(direct drive, 4 AAA, but it does have a good focusing system) but as long as it works the way you want it to, it's good.

:welcome: