JetBeam III M - how to stop battery rattle

livingaboard

Banned
So I get this light today. The initial outset quality seems very good...

I know this light can accomodate the 123's or the 18650's, hence the large bore of the flashlight body. But isn't there supposed to be a tube or something to take up the space around the 123's? They just sloppily fall into the light. If a light advertises its ability to use a certain battery, I expect that they would have a way to make sure the batteries fit snugly in the light.

I will probably just get the 18650's.

FYI, this light weighs 5.7 ounces with 123's and I don't consider it small enough to be an EDC or a pocket light. My e2dl weighs 3.8 ounces with 123's Not a ***** because I knew it was a larger light, just FYI for those wondering. It is just about he same length as the e2dl and the hot spot is visibly brighter than the e2dl. I thought the e2dl was superior to the e1b this morning, when I got it. I can't wait for the night to come.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: JetBeam III M..what the hell?

This is common to most lights that take 18650's and 123's.

livingaboard

Banned

I figured this was common, but I thought that the manufacturers included the carrier to take up the space. That is my *****....

I will probably get the M20 olight anyway and then I will have the carrier. Plus I will just order some rechargable 18650's..

Thanks for the replies.

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened

Other than a little rattling while using CR123 batteries, Does this extra play have any effect on performance or reliability? I am a Deputy and was thinking of getting this light for work.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast

wrap some paper round dem batteries and you good.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow guys, when they are tubes are bored just right for 123s, you guys complain about not being able to take 18650s. When they take 18650s, you guys complain about the slight rattle (should not affect reliability, the contacts for the battery are huge)

JML

Enlightened

You just have to leave off the cap of the Olight battery magazine, or trim the little carry ring on the cap. I cut mine off and polished the plastic.

The latter is a more elegant solution, as the two batteries can be kept within the magazine and quickly popped in as a replacement. The tailcap spring fits within the oval hole on one end of the magazine, and the battery nipple is accommodated by a round hole on end of the cap. The magazine is marked with + and - on the tube.

The Olight magazine also fits within my Lumapower M1 (unmodified).

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow guys, when they are tubes are bored just right for 123s, you guys complain about not being able to take 18650s. When they take 18650s, you guys complain about the slight rattle (should not affect reliability, the contacts for the battery are huge)
:laughing::lolsign:

wrap some masking or electrical tape around the 123's and they'll fit fine with no rattle.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just get some electrical tape wrap it round until there is no rattle,or find some PVC tube the right dia and make your own tube,I know it's not ideal but it may do.:twothumbs

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought a couple of spares of the Olight tube and just use it without the cap. Works perfectly and is easy.