Fun Surefire L1 Talk

blgoode

Newly Enlightened
Okay- if you haven't noticed I have a new L1 for the past week
smile.gif

At first I was a tad disapointed with the focused hot spot and lack of noticable spill in many day use situations. Aint no secret that the KL4 is my favorite surefire head BUT its too bright or or too floody for some uses.

I keep going back to my L1 for doing a little of everything good! Good runtime on low, good hotspot on low for many "spotting" type needs in day use. Under desks connecting wires and looking in nicks and crannies. Great throw for such a 1 cell if needed as well. Spotted last night easily out to 50 yards with good command.
The amount of spill it does have is very noticable in dark situations. The hot spot does distract you from this but way better surrounding use than say a KL1 head. Fills the room good enough to minimise searching around with the central hot spot. So....I keep grabbing the L1 because it does a decent job not letting you down! Don't think my KL* on an E1 body will do that if say I have a flat tire at night! I'd be glad I have this L1 in that situation.
smile.gif

1996alnl

Enlightened
It's funny you mentioned the L1 & L4.
I've been EDC these two lights rather often lately,i use AW cells in both of them (17670 in the L4) and because i go the rechargeable route i find myself enjoying these lights alot more.

I agree with you 100% with the L1. The sidespill on this optic is underated.
If you want your L1 to be about 25% brighter on high just use a RCR123 cell in it, it's perfectly safe you'll get a good 45min runtime on high.
I've been using it for months now with no ill effect.
Enyoy the beam.:thumbsup:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used my L1 every day (night) this past summer while working at a drive-in theater. I had it on a Surefire lanyard around my neck. Awesome light! It was great for checking framing marks when splicing the reels of film together, general security duties and checking the lot to make sure all the cars were out before I locked the gate. After showtime a couple of us would put on shadow puppet shows on the big screen with my L1. It's got plenty of oommph for a one cell light. I can't wait till I get a chance to use my E1B and E2DL at the drive-in this spring.