For the money, does anything beat a Malkoff + G2?

jaundice

Enlightened
This is a serious question. For the money, does anything beat a Malkoff + G2 combination? Because if there is, I want to buy it.

The Malkoffs appear to be the brightest and mose efficient LED modules out there. You have the choice of 235 lumens (actual) for 1.5 hours on two primaries, or 140 lumens for 4.5 hours, or 80 lumens for 8.5 hours. They run $56 to $63, shipped. You can get a new G2 for $35. For an M60, but not an M60L or LL, you'll need an aluminum bezel, for another $20.

The reason I'm going through all of this is because I already have one of these setups, with an M60L, and I'm about to buy another. But if there's something out there I don't know about, I want to know.

Thanks,

-John

zx7dave

Enlightened
I prefer the 6P to the G2, but other than that for the money and quality that goes into it, that combination is very hard to beat.

jaundice

Enlightened
Thanks for your input.

I'm still trying to understand Surefire's product line, so what's the difference/selling point of the C2 vs. the 6p or others? Why would someone buy a C2 vs. any of the other lights?

-John

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Malkoff models and think very highly of them but to say that they're unbeatable at the price would not be accurate. Basically, it depends on what you want in a light and how well a specific light performs for you.

For instance, if you want a light that only produces 235 lumens, or 140 lumens, and has an optic type beam, then a Malkoff M60 or M60L might be ideal for you.

If you'd like a light which could provide more than one level of light you'd have to look elsewhere. One of many alternatives you could choose would be a Dereelight CL1-H. It can produce up to three levels of brightness and matches the Malkoff M60 in terms of high level brightness.

If you prefer an optic type beam, you can replace the reflector on most lights with an optic. If you like the tint of light you get from the Malkoff W series, you may like the 5A Q3 bin Cree emitter used, for instance, by Deree. It may well be the same emitter used in the Malkoff W dropins.

etc.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget the SF C2...way overpriced. You can get the same results from the Dereelight CL1H, including the HAIII and you can just buy the host, and pay literally less than half of the cost. You do not need a SF product to get the desired effect, especially with a Malkoff. Free your mind and check out something other than a SF product...

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Forget the SF C2...way overpriced. You can get the same results from the Dereelight CL1H, including the HAIII and you can just buy the host, and pay literally less than half of the cost. You do not need a SF product to get the desired effect, especially with a Malkoff. Free your mind and check out something other than a SF product...

Screw that.

Buy a SF, and you'll get the amazing hassle free warranty + the best host in the world, hands down.

zx7dave

Enlightened
Surefire may not be the cheapest, but there are a heck of a lot of CPFers that have never regreted their purchase of a Surefire light. I certainly am one of them...however I am also happy with numerous Superfire, Fenix, and Firefly models...

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
OP,
There is only one way to answer this.

You have to buy or somehow find the models in question and compare them, in person, for yourself. There are far too many variables and highly subjective qualities to think that you could get a "correct" answer on a public forum. Now, after saying all that(!), I have ALL of my 6P's and 9P's converted to Malkoff's and wouldn't have them any other way. I find them excellent value for money!

Last edited:

rotncore

Newly Enlightened
Not when the warranty, and durability are a factor, and you consider made in USA to have value. If your goal is absolute lowest initial cost, Chinese lights are cheaper. The Fenix TK11 would be my alternate, but I own both, and if you asked me for a favorite it would be the SF/Malkoff.

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
The EagleTac T10L popped into my head as easily beating the Malkoff + G2.

- T10L is cheaper then this combo
- T10L puts out more light
- T10L is better constructed, dissipates heat better and is smaller
- T10L is aluminum with AR coated glass lens
- G2 is plastic with plastic lens and lousy at dealing with heat
- T10L provides hi and normal with twist of bezel for overall longer battery life

I don't see how this is even close. For that matter I have a number of lights that "beat" the combo suggested in the subject line.

I have 3 Malkoff modules and love them for what they are - but they aren't the holy grail of flashlights. This is particulary true when put into a plastic flashlight.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you like the plastic bodied G2 because you live some where that gets very cold and you don't want it sticking to your hand or its just a lower cost host than the Aluminum 6P?

If its because you are in cold temperatures and grabbing an ice cold metal flashlight is not a good thing to do, that is understandable. If its the cost, you can get the Solarforce L2 host cheaper than the entire G2 flashlight, and put extension tubes on it and other accessories and this works great. In regards to overall reliability and durability, you just know the Malkoff is going to work everytime and that is hard to beat. G

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the best host in the world, hands down.

And why exactly is a G2 the best host in the world? The original question was if the G2 plus a Malkoff was the best combo for the money. I offered a much better host for the Malkoff for the money. Somebody else brought up a C2 as a better combo, but per the original post, the question was not about anything other than the money/value of using a G2 with a Malkoff.

I can't wait to hear why the G2 is "hands down" better than the CL1H for this combination...

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not when the warranty, and durability are a factor, and you consider made in USA to have value. If your goal is absolute lowest initial cost, Chinese lights are cheaper. The Fenix TK11 would be my alternate, but I own both, and if you asked me for a favorite it would be the SF/Malkoff.

I would suggest buying the G2 in parts on Marketplace - get a g2 body and tailcap then buy a 6P bezel so you get the pyrex. Should be the same as a new G2L host, or less.

The SF warranty is a MAJOR factor in why I buy them and its tough to work this into the cost ;)

G2 should also retain its value better if you ever want to sell and upgrade.

Lastly, you can easily upgrade the G2 infinitely as Mr. Malkoff puts out new drop-ins. No modding needed.

Go for the G2!

cruisemissile

Enlightened
A lot of people love the g2, I prefer something metal like the 6p or cooler Centurion.
You can get a 6p at wholesalemarineproducts for 47 bucks. Or a pre-owned centurion of cpfmp for a good deal as well
Throw in a smokin malkoff and you're in bizness

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
I just don't get these affirmations that this is a great combo... Doesn't Gene himself warn not to run his modules more then 10 minutes in a G2 or G3? :sssh:

I do understand plastic if you live in the Extreme cold. Otherwise MrGman has given you the tip of the century on the Solarforce L2 host. In addition to the benefits he listed you also get a good clickie rather then the sloppy loose twisty on the G2. This would also bring the price down to a point that is competitive with my beloved EagleTacs and the Dereelights mentioned by others.

Last edited: