SureFire discontinued flashlights and bulbs?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
For how long SureFire manufacture bulbs when one of their flashlight gets discontinued? I'm pretty sure that with all the new LED models, we can expect some incandescent flashlights to disappear at some point. Also, does SureFire offer some kind of replacement warranty (maybe with some fees) if bulbs are no longer being made for a particular light?

Last edited by a moderator:

Size15's

Flashaholic
Re: SureFire discontinued flashlights and bulbs

SureFire keeps a good stock of a variety of Lamp Assemblies from discontinued products.
They likely still have stocks of the R30 for the 3V handgun WeaponLights.

They don't have any stock of the R60. It was effectively replaced by the P60.

They don't have any stock of the N2. It was effectively replaced by the MN15.

They've discontinued the MN02 but the MN03 remains. Not quite the same though.

I don't believe they have any stock of the N62. Although the MN61 is a close match, it is not an ideal replacement in some lights.

In the event that SureFire discontinues all the models that use a particular Lamp Assembly I assume they'll keep a stock of the Lamps. Once those look to be in short supply, they may well make a decision to not order another batch of lamps and offer an LED alternative lamp assembly, or an LED replacement bezel depending on what is available/appropriate.

Al

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't know about the MN01,2 and 3, or whatever the A2 uses, but I have to imagine that we'll be seeing the P60/1, P90/1, and M series lamps for years to come. Too many contracts, and too many lights in service, and in most cases no viable alternatives for them in the lineup at the moment.
Shame the N2 is gone, though.

Size15's

Flashaholic

Since when the MN02 is discontinued? I bought one last year and it's still available on SF's website:

http://www.surefire.com/Extended-Runtime-Lamp
Thanks for the correction :wave:
I was under the impression that it had been a couple years ago... Perhaps it wasn't, or it was reintroduced like SureFire have done with other products?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast

As Owen alluded to, if any flashlight/lamp is part of a government contract, there is usually a clause requiring replacement parts for the effective life of the item sold, usually at least five years from the date of delivery. Also, just because a light may no be available for commercial purchase doesn't mean SF isn't still making a few for parts or contract fulfillment. As an example, Digital Equipment Corporation, who used to make minicomputers before being bought by Compaq, used to sell a single-board version of their PDP-8 minicomputer for use by OEMs as controllers for things like X-Ray machines. They stopped selling the PDP-8 about 20 years ago, but at least as late as 1999, they would still get a bunch of employees together who used to work on that assembly line about once a year and run off a week or so's output to have available as replacements. The article I was reading about that stressed how hard it was for them to get enough employees together since so many had retired! Like the Energizer Bunny, some things just keep going and going and going....

seale_navy

Enlightened

if i were to buy a black e2e, and one day the tailcap wears out and the Z61 is not for sale anymore.. what am I suppose to do then?

The UK still sells black e2e and e1e but not in the surefire website anymore..is that a sign that they are not producing it anymore?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the correction :wave:
I was under the impression that it had been a couple years ago... Perhaps it wasn't, or it was reintroduced like SureFire have done with other products?

I would guess they never stopped to make this bulb. They probably just stopped to produce the E2O because it is too similar to the E2E and they kept the bulb.

Size15's

Flashaholic

You think so?:sigh:

:mecry::mecry:
In the Millennium TurboHead and KT TurboHead for which it is designed I'd rather have the higher output, brighter whiter light for longer than the MN15 provides over the N2.
However, in the SRTH or T-Series TurboHead the N2 creates such a pleasing beam.. :drool:

Size15's

Flashaholic

SureFire's Government, Military and LE contracts likely to mean the main incandescent lamp assemblies such as the P60 will continue to be produced for perhaps years to come.

Niconical

Enlightened

I think I remember reading somewhere else on the forum that incan lamps such as the P60 have a very long or pretty much indefinate lifetime when NOT used, just sitting in a drawer.

Can anyone confirm that?

If so I might get some extras as most of my lights use a P60 or P90 and I'd hate to think that they might not be available one day.

PhillyRube

Enlightened

I've been having trouble getting a replacement lamp assembly (2 bulbs) for my 9AN. Lots of places advertise them, but they're all out of stock.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I remember reading somewhere else on the forum that incan lamps such as the P60 have a very long or pretty much indefinate lifetime when NOT used, just sitting in a drawer.

Can anyone confirm that?

Confirmed. :)

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as they're kept in a non-corrosive, low humidity environment they should last a hundred years or more in storage.