Eagle-Tac owners: need a frame of reference

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
I'm considering replacing my aging D-Mini (original version) with either a P10C or a T10C. However, I have a question....

I know the difference in beam shape between the T and P series lights. However, what I can't find anywhere is how those two compare in beam characteristics to the only other such light I have, the D-Mini.

Please understand that I already know the Eagle-Tac will be brighter; I'm NOT ASKING ABOUT OUTPUT! What I'd like to know is how the beam shape, the hotspot/spill relationships, compares between either/both Eagle-Tac lights and the D-Mini.

Anyone have the necessary lights to comment?

TheMechanic

Newly Enlightened
Thank you! I spent last night reading every thread I could find with Eagle-Tac lights, and somehow missed that one!

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
I don't have the d-mini to compare to but do have the T10L and P10C2 and can describe the beam difference. Both have very nice beams with fewer then usual artifacts in the beam. Both are absolute powerhouses, as you have already noted.

The difference being that the T10L beam produces a slightly smaller and brighter hotspot, while also providing significantly more (wider) sidespill. The P10C2 puts out a little tighter "cone" of light with a slightly larger hotspot. Last night I spent a lot of time playing with the two and found the differences to be quite small. The exception would be indoors, where the extra sidespill of the T10L made a big difference when lighting up a room.

One thing I will note, the size difference between these two lights is more significant then I expected. Overall, I have actually begun to favor the P10C2 as it is quite small and fits so well in the pocket. If I needed to use the light hard though, the T10L would be the choice as the 18650 battery and better heat management would win out over size.

All photos with P10C2 on the left:
3207037748_633c14938d_o.jpg

3207037832_a475b7628a_o.jpg

3207037870_96b3044e97_o.jpg

3207037900_9d80e7c6db_o.jpg

By the way, I notice you are a fellow Oregonian. I live near Intel in Hillsboro and would be willing to meet up somewhere and compare to your d-mini if you like. Send me a PM if interested.

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see P10L... It will be perfect:D (even better without sudden death at the end:whistle:)

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Supergravy, I noticed that you took the clips off of your lights. After I removed the clip from my T10L, I got some 11/16 inch by 13/16 inch o-rings and put one in the recess left where the clip went. It fits pretty well, and makes the light look much better without the clip.

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
Yea, the clips did nothing but bug me. Eagletac is nice enough to provide decent holsters so I use them. :D I particularly like the stretchy holster that came with the P10C2 over the velcro flap model that comes with the T10L. I might try to o-ring suggestion but am pretty happy as is. The clips actually came off without much (if any) damage to the anodizing.

And I agree with the phantom and would buy a P10L in an instant!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you got lucky then... When I removed the clip from mine, it made some nice ugly scratches in the anodizing. However, the o-ring completely covers them up, so it doesn't really matter.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I left the clip on mine for two reasons. First, it is the only thing that keeps the light from rolling off a desk and second, it's great for clipping the light to the bill of a cap for hands free use.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, part of the ring or "lip" that is just below the tailcap is flattened (the end of the clip goes just over it), so it will prevent roll on flatter surfaces.