Wimpy Maglites

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Mag 2D to use as a host because I wanted a Malkoff drop in. I waited until dark and added two new D cells. What a poor excuse for a light. I've not owned any Maglites for years, so maybe my memory's shot, but were they always that weak, or am I remembering something else? The only incandescent units I've had for several years are Streamlights (Scorpion, Stinger, and Ultra Stinger), also have a SF 9P that I plan to convert to LED soon.

I can hardly wait for my drop in, hoping that it arrives by the end of the week. Their website says that they aren't shipping until the 20th because of the SHOT show.

I also bought a 4 D light and eventually hope to use it for one of the triple drop ins.

Wo Show

Newly Enlightened
I have a Maglite 4D that I recently installed a Terralux 3 led upgrade and am very happy with it. It blows away the stock incan bulb.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
I recently saw a thread on here comparing the Terralux unit vs., I believe, a unit made by Electrolumins. The Electrolumins unit was said to be better.

I've not found any recent posts on the Malkoff triple unit. Guess I need to search around.

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
That SF 9P permanently re-calibrated your internal luminescence meter.
You've forever lost whatever objectivity you once had with the past.

Good luck with the Mag mod, I've got twenty(!) tabs open trying to figure out what I'ma gonna do next.
That dammed B/S/T isn't helping my wallet one dammed bit either!

The Alliance

Newly Enlightened
What's b/s/t?

I too am waiting for my first Malkoff. I hope I won't be disappointed.

edit- I think Maglites are ok, you do get what you pay for. I think they're OK for indoor use in your own house, but they're not good for outdoor use.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Not only are they good for modding, but you can use them to pound tent stakes into the ground!

Cydonia

Enlightened
Maglites are mere aluminum shells, hosts, for modifications and custom applications. A wonderful platform to work with.
I have the highest respect for them. The automated methods of production used in their manufacture enable their incredible low price.
Compared to the other plastic junk on store shelves they are indeed magnificent :D

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Mag 2D to use as a host because I wanted a Malkoff drop in. I waited until dark and added two new D cells. What a poor excuse for a light. I've not owned any Maglites for years, so maybe my memory's shot, but were they always that weak, or am I remembering something else?

Well, you're comparing apples to oranges. Compare your 2D Mag to another 2D incandescent light and it will compare more favorably. They're just as bright as they've been since they were introduced, brighter, actually with Mag-Num star xenon bulbs and such. It's just the march of technology that makes them seem "wimpy" as you put it. They are reliable and proven, even if kind of dim compared to newer hi-tech lights.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when I was a kid, Maglites were cutting edge for flashlights. Super bright, and were nice and heavy for easy disposal or bad guys! I too love what many Modders are doing to the ol' Mag!

Mayo

swampgator

Enlightened
Back when I was a kid, Maglites were cutting edge for flashlights.

And that is Mag's biggest problem. With the exception of the LED series they haven't had a new design since the Magcharger and that was in the early 80's. With the explosion of technology and better bulbs, LEDs and batteries, you'd think Mag could be at least on par with the other companies. I mean you've got a whole lot of room to work with.

All that being said, I currently own about 15 Mag products.

D-Dog

Enlightened
And that is Mag's biggest problem. With the exception of the LED series they haven't had a new design since the Magcharger and that was in the early 80's. With the explosion of technology and better bulbs, LEDs and batteries, you'd think Mag could be at least on par with the other companies. I mean you've got a whole lot of room to work with.

All that being said, I currently own about 15 Mag products.

However, even with the same product line for the past 20 years, people still buy them. Thus, in M@g's defense, why should they change? Whether it be a "normal" person looking for a "quality" light or one of us buying a few to mod, they are still making $$$ :)

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you're comparing apples to oranges. Compare your 2D Mag to another 2D incandescent light and it will compare more favorably. They're just as bright as they've been since they were introduced, brighter, actually with Mag-Num star xenon bulbs and such. It's just the march of technology that makes them seem "wimpy" as you put it. They are reliable and proven, even if kind of dim compared to newer hi-tech lights.
Spot on.

In fact, at least at US prices, the Maglite is hard to go past for the general user for the following reasons:
Quality, reliability and ruggedness.
Affordable (in the USA. Prohibitively expensive elsewhere)
Not too small like all the modern alternatives. Easily found when lost.
Far better switch, and switch position, than anything more modern.
Onboard spare bulb.
Focusable.
It looks attractive.

GaryM

Newly Enlightened
Well you guys are right. They are making money, and I'd not have bought two new ones if I'd been able to find any used ones. I'm thinking of putting up a sign at work asking for any old ones lying around.

Rob187

Enlightened
Maglites 'wimpyness' makes modded mags even better to the uninitiated who expect the standard output only to be astonished by the brightness coming out of a hotwire or modded multiple LED unit.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first Maglite had a krypton bulb, I'd never owned a focusable light till then so that also was comparatively 'high tech' and because I obtained it through a 'group buy' $45.00 AUD made it even more attractive (retailing for double locally) :thumbsup:

I recall being quite impressed with it's output on fresh batteries but soon hungered for MORE output, firstly tracking down TerraLUX and then eventually CPF... the rest is lumen history! :D

I agree once you've been exposed to significantly improved light output you can never turn a stock Mag' on again with the same level of awe you first did, the guys I work with still use the stock 3D configuration because they're reliable and they're used to them, however seeing the varied lights I've created, modded OR simply purchased I believe they're beginning to slowly come around ;)

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, but for a "snatch and grab" at your local Sprawlmart, I'd still opt for a MagLED over the other stock options on the rack.

The AA models anyway - the 3D will work in a pinch, but I'm really unhappy with the rings.

For comparison purposes, I should pick up an Energizer "inspection" LED, just for giggles...

-Trevor

Daekar

Enlightened
I think you're absolutely right. The switch position/function makes them easy to use, they're durable (you can chuck them on the asphalt and nothing will happen - broken bulb at worst, which you can replace in a wink)... I think the "not too small" point is absolutely right. For those that don't EDC a light, it makes it easier to find, and it also facilitates the use of D-cells, which enables an inexpensive battery solution to provide fairly good current-delivery and voltage-maintenance. The only thing I don't really like about mags is that the switch unit makes them so darn long.

Spot on.

In fact, at least at US prices, the Maglite is hard to go past for the general user for the following reasons:
Quality, reliability and ruggedness.
Affordable (in the USA. Prohibitively expensive elsewhere)
Not too small like all the modern alternatives. Easily found when lost.
Far better switch, and switch position, than anything more modern.
Onboard spare bulb.
Focusable.
It looks attractive.