New A2 tailcap!

bwcaw

Enlightened
I just got a replacement tailcap from Surefire yesterday (mine broke one of the contacts for the leds) and it is pretty cool! For one thing it is longer, and covers the o ring when it is in full lock out mode, and for another it looks to me as if the whole thing is more substantial. I am not sure if this is a new style, or if it is a prototype or what. But it is cool! One think that was kinda bad though was the inside diameter of the tailcap was larger than the one that came with the light, meaning I had to put a fatter o ring in there.I wish I could post pics but I lack a digital camera. I have a buddy who has one and he might be coming over this weekend so I will see what I can do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Does Surefire perform marketing surveys? I think that if they developed an incandescent-only E2e-sized "Mini A2", without LEDs or 2-step tailcap, possibly with a slightly longer regulated runtime, it would be a relatively popular light, at least among afficionados.

Brightnorm

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Brightnorm,

Once you've been spoiled by regulation, it's hard to go back! I suspect that PK and team have made so many permutations including what you have suggested. And as you have alluded to, it is now a question of the marketing dept as to what to offer and where to go. SF is not lacking in design and possibilities.

- Don

bwcaw

Enlightened
Brightnorm, I don't think SF would waste resources on another regulated incan two cell light when they have the KL4 "right around the corner" so to speak. It remains to be seen whether surefire will release the kl4 this year though. Streamlight might beat them to the 5 watt luxeon personal light with their TL series. I sure hope SF doesn't delay with the KL4 like they did with the A2. And the kl4 should be a quicker release than the a2 was by simple logic: you aren't designing a whole new light, only a replacement head, and really all you have to do is find the right electronics, and machine yourself out a pretty little housing, and sell it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif OK I'm sure it is just a little more complicated than that, but you get the point. And I agree with Mcgizmo, it is hard to look at yellow e2e/p60 beams after you have looked at a regulated incan! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
ironic how people complain about a "yellow" beam from a sf when just months ago it was praised as "white light" and one of it's benefits over other incandescents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
tkl,

Perhaps is more accurate to say that the A2 has regulated whiter light?

I guess that when the performance bar is raised; people's expectations of performance rise with it.

Al

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
tkl,

Perhaps is more accurate to say that the A2 has regulated whiter light?

I guess that when the performance bar is raised; people's expectations of performance rise with it.

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

that makes more sense to me than saying it's just "yellow".

i don't care for the A2 nor would care for a regulated E2e. just not getting anything for the big jump in price imo.

i do like the feel of the A2 tailcap very much. for momentary lighting it is far superior to the lotc and it's stiff operation.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I like it that people's opinions differ... It would be boring otherwise!

I like the two-stage TailCaps compared to the normal LOTC's because I don't have to LockOut the "2STC" when I carry the flashlight in my pocket.

With regards to not getting anything for the price increase - We've covered this before in other threads I think so we don't need to discuss it again in this one.

Al

zackhugh

Enlightened
Within the last month or so I've been EDC'ing my A2 and like the functionality of having the LED and incandescent together controlled by that nice switch. The tailcap on my A2 seems to cover the O-ring better than on my friend's A2, where the threads are exposed in full lockout. I guess I should compare the two to see if the tailcaps are of different length. Thanks for the info.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
zackhugh said:
Within the last month or so I've been EDC'ing my A2 and like the functionality of having the LED and incandescent together controlled by that nice switch. The tailcap on my A2 seems to cover the O-ring better than on my friend's A2, where the threads are exposed in full lockout. I guess I should compare the two to see if the tailcaps are of different length. Thanks for the info.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be interested in hearing the results of your comparision. This "short" tailcap issue was big on my list of reasons to veto the A2. With the o-ring exposed, it easily picks up lint and dust from your pocket or just the are around it. My other concern was that if you dropped it into a puddle in the LOTC position, it would probably leak.

GeoffChan

Enlightened
My A2 has a short tailcap and also failed after about 2 weeks of edc'ing. I'm still waiting for Surefire to send me my replacement tailcap.

Geoff

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah grasshopper...

Everyone notice the difference in length of the new A2; more important is that the new cap changes the water-resistance characteristics of the light...

I understand that the revision makes the A2 as waterproof as any light in the SF lineup. SF does not market any of their lights as dive lights or submersible, yet, several of the lights in their line are subjected to submersion tests at several atmospheres, and for all intents and purposes, are waterproof.

This is an example of the SF constantly trying to improve their product, but they don't go about it with the a lot of fanfare, nor will they make claims of "new & improved". I was totally shocked at the number of engineering and design changes PK made last year to the SF lights.... not just a few changes per light.. many many many times more than that.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Slightly OT what's the designation of the A2 replacement lamp assembly?

I should be getting an A2 later in the week and want to have a couple of spares on order.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
I don't see any problem with the original tailcap on my A2. In lockout mode I don't see the O-ring exposed.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
surefarc: then your A2 might have come with the newer tailcap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

anyway just a few days ago i put fresh batteries in my old mini-maglite that's been sitting un-used ever since i found cpf, and in comparison with my C2, the C2 looked very white and completely decimated the mini-maglite's output. leaving the C2 on, i turned on my arc LSH-P, and in comparison the C2's beam seemed as yellow as the mini-maglite seemed in comparison to the C2. i turn off the C2, leaving the LSH-P on, and i turn on my storeroom's flourescent lights, and now my LSH-P looks a little blue. its all relative /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

on the whole, the light from surefires are more white than regular incandescents, and are probably as white as an incandescent is going to get.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
surefarc: then your A2 might have come with the newer tailcap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think so buddy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Mine is among the first 100 pieces.