The lens on my Fenix PD30 fell off..

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
This probably isn't the right place but I have looked for a 4sevens or Fenix-Store area.

The lens covering the LED fell off. The light was not right so I looked down the reflector and guess what.. the lens was bouncing around.

I have absolutely no clue if it's fixable but I am writing an email to 4sevens in regards to a warranty replacement.

The only problem I see is that I have scratched off a lot of paint on the bezel getting it off :( I'm not sure if that will be a problem, I don't think this light is going to be used even if they agreed to replace it.

I bought my light from 4sevens.. however they have this on their page. Should I just write my problem on the "Contact Us" page and expect the same to apply.

Code:
We have a new policy for all Fenix brand products.  We are so
confident in these flashlights that we are now upgrading all Fenix
lights purchased past, present, and future to an unconditional
lifetime warranty.
We will repair or replace any Fenix lights purchased from 
[URL]http://www.fenix-store.com/[/URL].  Simply go through our "contact us"
link to initiate the RMA process.  Your light will be return fully 
functional.  The exterior finish is not covered as this is cosmetic 
and does not affect the function.  If your model is discontinued, 
we may issue you store credit or offer you a newer model of 
equal or greater value.  We reserve the right to issue a
refund in lieu of a replacement.

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only problem I see is that I have scratched off a lot of paint on the bezel getting it off :( I'm not sure if that will be a problem, I don't think this light is going to be used even if they agreed to replace it.

You taking it apart is a big problem. The lens/dome that fell off can't be repaired. Sending it back unmolested would have got you a new light.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only take apart pieces that are meant to be taken apart by the user, unless you know what you are doing and accept loosing warranty.

On Eagletacs, you can screw the bezel off and then the lens falls out. As soon as I realized that the lens isn't fixed, I screwed the bezel back and left eveyrthing on place. I took the lens out of my Clicky and destroyed the coating, so that now I have to get a new lens for which I will pay...

If you can't ge a faulty light working doing the normal operations, send it back and you'll get it fixed or a new light!

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm confused. Are you talking about the "window" (flat crystal at the end of the bezel) or the actual LED's "dome" (the half-sphere that is an integral part of the LED emitter)?

I'm thinking it's the latter, but just wanted to make sure.

Since you've disassembled and damaged the light (beyond the initial failure), your warranty is most likely void.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You mean the dome, the half spherical part of the LED right? It isn't supposed to fall off so yours was either a lemon from Cree or it was damaged in the transporting(LED to factory) or light manufacturing process.

Since you tried to open the light, I'm not so sure that Fenix Store will send you a replacement because you technically voided the warranty.

MWClint

Enlightened
Since you were able to disassemble the head, you are 50% of the way to
just fixing it yourself.

and in regards to this....
I don't think this light is going to be used even if they agreed to replace it.

by fixing it yourself, you can swap a q3 5a warm cree led and then have
a light with a new purpose.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it fell off I figured it would be a simple fix. I had no intentions of telling anyone. I took it off, consequently scratching the crap out of the bezel. Function over looks. When I realized the half dome was filled with something and did not just snap into place I thought "I've just screwed myself out of a new light".

I regret taking it off but I didn't know enough about LEDs physical parts to realize I shouldn't have.

I explained this in my email, hoping they would have some sympathy for me.

Lesson learned I guess. I'm probably going to be out of 70 bucks when they email me to screw off.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm confused. Are you talking about the "window" (flat crystal at the end of the bezel) or the actual LED's "dome" (the half-sphere that is an integral part of the LED emitter)?

You mean the dome, the half spherical part of the LED right? It isn't supposed to fall off so yours was either a lemon from Cree or it was damaged in the transporting(LED to factory) or light manufacturing process.

Yea that little dome one. The beam had a shadow on half of it. I didn't think about. Then I woke up and it was not even a beam anymore. I looked down the reflector and the piece was bouncing off the front glass.

I guess it was coming undone, causing the artifact in the beam a couple of days ago.

I haven't even had the light 30 days, half of the time it's had the shadow. No telling how long I've had to notice something was wrong.

The exterior finish is not covered as this is cosmetic
and does not affect the function.

That is part of the Fenix warranty. Maybe it will work in my favor.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like mentioned, spend $10 and buy a new emitter, that's all you need to fix it, and you get to choose the tint you want.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've taken the bezel off, then it's not too tricky to swap in a new emitter, and you'll save yourself $70 ;)