Anyone has lux reading on a MTE SSC P7?

Art

Enlightened
Hi,
first of all sorry to create a post like this but I searched the forum and I could not find any info on this light , only one post where there was a simple review (enough to make me order one).
Now I have doubts about this light. My favourite light now is the led lenser P7 it has a nice flood and incredible throw for the size actual lux exceeds the 11000 mark (read it on some forums).
The MTE uses the SSC P7 led plus the 3,7v 18650 2500mah bat.. its marked as 900lumen , some tests I saw rate it at more less 500 to 600lumens... so I wanted to know if anyone has yet taking a lux reading as it seems to me the best way to test a light.. lumens dont help that much I think.

BTW I ordered the P7 D with aluminium reflector and 5 modes... the other ones had plastic reflector :scowl:

Regards,

Norm

Retired Administrator
Lux readings will vary with different reflectors and optics or lack of.
Norm

Art

Enlightened
Lux readings will vary with different reflectors and optics or lack of.
Norm

Also with diferent measuring devices doesnt it?

I will have to find some one around here with a luxmeter.

Regards,

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
first of all sorry to create a post like this but I searched the forum and I could not find any info on this light , only one post where there was a simple review (enough to make me order one).
Now I have doubts about this light. My favourite light now is the led lenser P7 it has a nice flood and incredible throw for the size actual lux exceeds the 11000 mark (read it on some forums).
The MTE uses the SSC P7 led plus the 3,7v 18650 2500mah bat.. its marked as 900lumen , some tests I saw rate it at more less 500 to 600lumens... so I wanted to know if anyone has yet taking a lux reading as it seems to me the best way to test a light.. lumens dont help that much I think.

BTW I ordered the P7 D with aluminium reflector and 5 modes... the other ones had plastic reflector :scowl:

Regards,

900 lumens is manufacturer BS. If they BS you on lumens, don't expect lux values to be correct, either (lol darktort). Lumens is a better way of knowing the total light output, lux merely gives you the throw. Going by eye, I'd say an MTE SSC P7 gives about 7000 lux, and 500ish lumens in a fantastically floody, wall of light beam. Is the LED lenser the one that runs of 4xAAA's? If so, the MTE will have no problems demolishing it. However, 11000 lux is a surprisingly high number, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Art

Enlightened
900 lumens is manufacturer BS. If they BS you on lumens, don't expect lux values to be correct, either (lol darktort). Lumens is a better way of knowing the total light output, lux merely gives you the throw. Going by eye, I'd say an MTE SSC P7 gives about 7000 lux, and 500ish lumens in a fantastically floody, wall of light beam. Is the LED lenser the one that runs of 4xAAA's? If so, the MTE will have no problems demolishing it. However, 11000 lux is a surprisingly high number, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Yes its surprising , but you can see for example a TK10 has 7000lux more less and has a lot less throw then the P7... last video I saw there is a huge diference so I believe in the 11k lux or even more. Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epIvlw4pRys

Watch ate 1m15 the TK10 and then ate 2m the P7... its a noticeable difference in throw.
The P7 is in high mode so only 8k lux... in the 130% mode it does 11k.

Now back to the MTE , will it have at least the same throw as a P7 ?

I want a nice flooding light but that has at least the same throw as a P7 or TK11.

Regards,

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now back to the MTE , will it have at least the same throw as a P7 ?

I want a nice flooding light but that has at least the same throw as a P7 or TK11.

Regards,

I don't know. What I do know is that you will not be disappointed with the amount of light the MTE P7 puts out. The TK11 spots slightly further than the MTE in my experience, but the P7 has a far more useful beam pattern.

Art

Enlightened
I don't know. What I do know is that you will not be disappointed with the amount of light the MTE P7 puts out. The TK11 spots slightly further than the MTE in my experience, but the P7 has a far more useful beam pattern.

Nice! :D
I hope people dont make confusion with what I am saying... P7 means de Led Leanser P7 not the MTE!
So hope the MTE has at least the same throw the LL P7... and a lot of flood ! :devil:

BTW, order at DX and Im from portugal... how long will it take?

Regards,

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
10 days to 2 weeks, ish, for the UK, so I imagine it should be fairly similar for you.

I agree- it's VERY confusing that there's the LED lenser P7 (which, just in case anyone is still wondering, doesn't use a P7 LED) and the SSC P7. Ahh well....

robm

Enlightened
I have the MTE P7, and it is a very floody light, not really a thrower.

Mine gets approx 3500 lux at 1m, and puts out about 300-400 lumens.
I don't have a Led Lenser P7, so can't compare figures.

Art

Enlightened

Dont you have any more lights? A simple LD10 or a NDI on Li-ion has nearly 3000lux... so 3500 seems a bit low. :mecry:

robm

Enlightened
I can only tell you what I get. But this is pretty typical for floody/'wall of light' lights.

Imagine the hotspots from 4 SSC P4s next to each other (not focused in the same place) - the lux is not much higher than 1 on its own.

If you wanted throw this isn't for you, it does light a room well though!

Let me know what other lights you have, and if I have any of the same I can let you know my 'readings' (I don't have an NDI or LD10).

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting. I tried one out for a week (funds don't permit me to buy one) and was very impressed... it completely decimated my L2D, D10, etc, and gave my current "throwers" a run for their money- TF 2C with 18650/Q5 and TK11. Although it's floody, it spits out enough light to put a fair few lux downrange.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you should consider the EagleTac T10C2. I have this light, and it has the best combination of a strong throw, and a powerful spill. Nothing stock beats it now. I have the 5 level MTE P7. It puts out a great amount of light, but the 2 level Eagletac is what I use if I need one light that will not fail- and has a great long runtime on low ( which is really a medium).

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont own the MTE SSC P7 but I do own the WF-1000L P7, and must say this light has a more intensive and wider hotspot than my JET-III pro ibs at 10 meters.

The P7 was able to turn off the light-sensitive garden lights from a third floor (~10m), while the JET-III was only able to dim them out.

Art

Enlightened
I can only tell you what I get. But this is pretty typical for floody/'wall of light' lights.

Imagine the hotspots from 4 SSC P4s next to each other (not focused in the same place) - the lux is not much higher than 1 on its own.

If you wanted throw this isn't for you, it does light a room well though!

Let me know what other lights you have, and if I have any of the same I can let you know my 'readings' (I don't have an NDI or LD10).

Yes I know they are not throwers , that is what I want a wall of light but that goes a bit far.

I own or owned(sold them) Led Lenser P3, P5,P6,P7 and P14(also a H5).
Nitecore D10 GDP and Im expeting this week a D10 Q5 and a NDI.

My EDCs are LL P7 and L0D .. I just want to edc the MTE now to substitute the LL P7 in throw and have more flood.

Regards,

js-lots

Newly Enlightened
Art. Keep in mind when you buy from dx or kd, what you see is not always what you get. I own the the mte ssc p7 2 mode c bin. It pulls about 3A on a new battery. I think I was fortunate to get that kind of driver. That is why it is extremely bright and floody. Plus the reflector is not very deep. On most of the popular throwers the reflectors tend to be deeper. I also have the Ultrafire ssc p7 3 mode from dx. It is suppose to pull 2.7A on high according to the site. but is only around 1.8A. While very bright, It is a little less than the mte. Ive owned the mte for about 2 months, dropped it a dozen times and a have been out in the snow and rain with it and it is still working like a charm. Good luck.

Art

Enlightened
Hope mine comes ok to.
I speacilly order the one with aluminium reflector.. all of the others where plastic.It was actually 15dollars more then all others... really hope its nice or it will be my last buy from this type of lights.

Regards,

balou

Enlightened
Art, have you got a link to the light you purchased?

I also want to buy a P7 light, guess I wait until you do a quick review of it :)

Art

Enlightened
Art, have you got a link to the light you purchased?

I also want to buy a P7 light, guess I wait until you do a quick review of it :)

Sure , here it is : http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16092

I read all the review on the site and this seemed to be the best , plus the only with aluminium reflector... dunno if the 8 mode had also , but 8 mode is too much... I was happy with 3 modes.. but there is only 2 and 5 plus memory... so I think this was the best choice. Also ordered 2500mah 18650 :D

Really hope it comes as a nice light. My first "bummer" was the D10 GDP... not that good tint so sold it :whistle:

Regards

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

Regards,
This one? Got severat threads on it, and this long thread:
P7 900 lumens MTE DX first impression

I love it. I did a simple resistor by pass on a 5 mode model, lux readings against several other P7 I built or bought puts it low on the list but it is still in the 800 lumens range! I also fix it to a head band and use it as a head light somewhere in this thread: Homemade headband flashlight mount

It works so well I also got the 5 mode 52 mm head 2X 18650 regulated MTE light and it is just a few lux under my built rechargeables, by comparison to incans and other lights, that is 800+ lumens is my best guess:
represented here: SOLD-RECHARGEABLE 2C P7, Modes, Electronic GID & more features

Unless the center beam intesity is important I would not worry about lux readings as they only measure the intensity at a point, therefore the lux at the edges is different than the center of the beam, I stay with over all out put on LEDs, Lumens, and Torch Lumens on Incans.

As long as the D is running at 2.8-3.0+ amps you will get the light out of it, it generally is a Vf of 3.75 Volts and some direct drive lights on lithium 3.6 Volt batteries will not deliver the power needed to get the D to its efficient maximum and then that light would best be served with a C bin on a I bin Vf of 3.5 volts. I believe the MTE is regulated, the long thread above contains information how to jumper a bank of resistors and get a bunch more light out of that particular driver. MTE I found has different drivers sometimes in what appears to be the same model. So you just have to look but I have been very happy with MTE supplied by DX and KD vendors.

Last edited:

Latest posts