FRAK EARTH (warning spoilers)

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, the last episodes of Battlestar Galactica have started up. What did you guys think of it ? Anyone think "Dee" may be downloading and reporting in at the same place Starbuck got processed ?

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: FRACK EARTH (warning spoilers)

I wish they would release the episodes on DVD with Frack changed to the word we know it should be.

It would be a Deadwood version of Battlestar Galactica.

mgk65

Newly Enlightened

I thought it was a good show.

The way I see it, there are two possibilities for the 5th cylon:
1) Helen
2) Starbuck

Or there is yet another cylon beyond the 5th that is unknown. How else could Starbuck be revived from the dead?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love that they use the word "frack" in place of *^&%. What's funny is that it seems it might be spelled "fragged" in some cases. Or there was an episode named that, right?

As for what the heck is going on, I admit to being more confused now than ever before. I might have mustered a few theories before this new episode, but now? I'm at a loss. Totally.

It seems to me that if the old earth was populated by toasters and skin-jobs instead of with humans, and that five of those skin-jobs were somehow re-born thousands of years later, then it seems that humans must somehow be the ancestors of cylons or something, --who then created toasters, who then created cylons again.

What the frack?

I'm stumped.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone remember the old Richard Basehart episode of Twilight Zone where he crash lands on a planet and his planet sends a last message from during a final major world wide war and he is the lastof his race? It turns out that his name is Adam and the only other inhabitant of that world is a woman who also crash landed, named Eve...

For whatever reason I am getting a feeling that this is headed to a similar place somehow.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checked the show again and apparently the graffiti was FRAK not FRACK, so I edited the thread title.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Or there is yet another cylon beyond the 5th that is unknown.

I already figured it out - the 'fifth' and 'sixth' Cylons are the writers. I base this on the fact they haven't come up with an original and compelling idea for the show after the first season, and it turned from Science Fiction to Drama . :thumbsdow

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

blasterman,

Strange! I totally disagree! But I'm fine with your post, however. Especially the bit about "science fiction to drama", as I pretty much agree with that, and that is a large part of why I love the show. It's really about people and their relationships--the science fiction part of it just means they have a lot more lattitude with which to explore human relationships and conditions. That's drama! Or good drama, anyway. And that's good sci-fi to my mind, as well. I believe Phillip K. **** wrote an essay on exactly this topic and divided sci-fi into two camps: in one we have the star trek / azimov type sci-fi that is all about the technology and science and is light on character and character development. In the other camp we have shows like BSG and Phillip K. **** himself.

And I think that division is real and significant, although still prone to the weaknesses inherent in any generalization.

Kiessling

Flashaholic

Dito. The "tech-stuff" is really boring, think ST. What is really interesting is the Sci-Fi universe offering unknown possibilities of individual destinies, drama and relationships. That is so much more satisfying than technobabble.

Cool stuff like Bab5 or BSG or Farscape emerges.

bernie

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK.

I just have to ask. Can anyone explain WHO nuked earth? I understand that there was a nuclear holocaust and that only the final five survived because they developed resurrection technology and had a ship in orbit, and that they then travelled thousands of light years to the 12 tribes that they had left, in order to prevent them from developing AI and machines and so on, but that due to time dilation, it was thousands of years later for the 12 tribes, but only a dozen (or whatever) years for them, and that it was too late. So they then offered to give the cylons resurrection technology in exchange for them stopping the war. Etc. Etc.

I get all that. But what the frak is the deal with earth? If machines nuked it, where did they go? Where are the people or machines who nuked earth?

Also, all of this seems to imply that CYLONS = 13th tribe. Which would say that cylons are just as human as humans, just two different branches of the same tree. I mean, none of the people/cylons on earth had ressurection technology, and weren't "skin jobs" in that way, right?

Anyway have any theories on this? I mean, what the frak?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
My impression was the 13th tribe settled Earth, created Cylons and resurrection technology. The Cylons and humans did their war thing destroying Earth. The final five recreated resurrection technology by working together to figure out how it worked. With this series though it's day to day as to who remembers what.

I liked Friday's episode with Starbuck's father bringing back her piano lessons. Anyone notice the music tape ? "...Live at the Opera House". The plot thickens.

Last edited: