New LED light - the "Squid" light

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
New LED light - the \"Squid\" light

http://www.squidlight.com/squid_page1.htm

color_choices.jpg

I just received one for review. 3 LEDs, each on an independently flexible stalk. 2 brightness levels, can be hung by the holes on the top as a tent light, set on it's base as a table light/lantern, or hand-held. Pretty wild! On-off press switch on the bottom - first click for low, 2nd click for high, 3rd click turns it off again.

Water resistant - has a seal at the body seam, and it floats (!). Includes nylon cord for hanging. Runs on 3 AAA batteries (not included).

Testing in progress and a comprehensive review will be posted to my site in the next few days! Looks to be an extremely versatile area light and short range flashlight.

Runtime advertised at 20 hrs on high, 7+ days on low. 4 oz.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New LED light - the

This light needs some little sleeves (a la the Streamlight Stylus sleeve) that can be pulled out over the LED's so the side-scatter doesn't blind you at night.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Ahhh yes, the Squid Light... I have one of these too (the Melon & Lime version) and I'm also about to put it on my website. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It's a fun little light, and it's supposed to be water resistant (meaning I'm supposed to be able to throw it in the toliet) but there's no O-ring where you undo it to change the batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I like the 3-way switch though. You can turn it to low, high, and off with a single pushbutton on the bottom.

Guess you'll all have to wait for Doug and myself to review this light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Craig - check carefully - there is (or at least there should be) a clear rubbery seal at the base of the threads on the shelf where the body joins. When it's tight, it compresses the seal, making it watertight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I also have the "melon and lime" version... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Doug,

I checked mine VERY closely, and there is indeed a transparent "thing" on the shelf where one might expect to find an O-ring, so it ought to indeed be water-resistant, and float when I throw it in the fishtank. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I also felt some resistance when I tightened it the last 1/8 of a turn or so; that must be the transparent "thing" engaging. There's still a seam about 1mm wide between the top and bottom when the Squid Light is all the way closed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I guess I'll find out if it leaks pretty soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, curiosity got the better of me (rarely do I do this before I get beamshots all done, etc.) and I plopped it into a sink of water.

It DOES float.

It does NOT seal completely. H2O inside the battery compartment and it turned on dimly by itself... It's drying on the window sill in the sun right now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I can't tell exactly where the water got in, though. I don't think it was through the main seam - possibly around one of the arms???

(official testing won't start until at least tomorrow, so it'll have plenty of time to dry...)

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

SO it is not waterproof at all, heh? False claim or bad product?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Neither - it's not claimed waterproof - it's claimed water resistant. It apparently doesn't like being dunked. It floats if you drop it in the lake, but I guess you'll have to dry it out when you retrieve it.

I'm fairly certain it will withstand rain and splashing without adverse effects...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just got off the telephone with the guy who invented the Squid Light, so he's going to see this thread pretty quick.

I agree, it should withstand rain and splashing with impunity, but would probably croak if you tried to drown it in a tub, sink, toliet, or pond by holding it underwater. It wasn't meant to be used as a diving light, it was meant to be used as a tent & campsite light. And for that, it ought to do quite well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

flashlightDR

Newly Enlightened

I'd love to hear more about this one. Anyone else selling it? The price seems a bit hight...?

Brock

Flashaholic

I am told mine is at home now also. Heidi says it looks pretty neat and you can bend the LED's to any angle or direction you want. I can't wait to see it.

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks very useful, I want one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What size batteries does it take ?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
x-ray said:
What size batteries does it take ?

[/ QUOTE ]

It uses 3 AAA cells.
I have an early page up here if you want to see it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Craig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif (nice review by the way)

AAA batteries, now I really want one, none of those nasty expensive button cells.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

great review so far!

looks like a very unique light...i like it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great review Doug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I especially liked the "Patented Hanging Technique", bet it wont be long before a very similar graphic appears on the Squidlight packaging/manual /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif