Dollhouse: a new Joss Whedon TV series!

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
dollhouse1.tiff

Starting Feb. 13, 2009, on Fox, a new Joss Whedon TV series will start airing, called "Dollhouse" starring Eliza Dusku. You can google "Dollhouse Joss Whedon" for a lot more info and trailers and blog entries and all that.

I'm really excited about the potential represented by a new Joss Whedon TV series. For those of you who haven't seen (or didn't like) Firefly or Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Serenity, you may not get why I'm all that excited, but, well, I AM. Very excited. For reference' sake (to get an idea of my taste in TV shows), in addition to Firefly and Buffy, I'm also a huge fan of Battlestar Galactica, Veronica Mars, Angel, and Gilmore Girls (yeah, I know, it doesn't "fit' with the others--I don't care--it's also really, really amazing.)

If the series is even half as good as Firefly it will be great--a lot better than Terminator--plus Eliza Dusku is quite a good actress. I really liked her in Tru Calling, despite that show's being less than stellar, overall (but still decent).

So, is anyone else excited about a new Joss Whedon show?

Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
For shame...listing Angel as another series you like instead of a Joss Whedon product. :nana:

I'm very excited. I didn't get into Firefly till after it was canceled and I saw it on DVD. The western in space undercurrent was a little heavy handed but the world and characters he created was starting to take root before it's untimely demise. He creates smart, funny scripts with well fleshed out characters that grow as a writer, and seems to bring out the best in other writers writing scripts within his created worlds.

Hopefully this gets a good shot to develop an audience.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, yeah, but he co-created Angel, right? Or certainly, co-directed it--and didn't have as close a connection with it as with Firefly and Buffy.

I was really worried to hear that this is going to be on Fox. Again. They're the idiots who first sabotaged, then canceled Firefly. But I hear that there is new leadership or a new group of people involved in that aspect of things, and that Joss says that it's OK that it's Fox.

I hope he's right. I really do.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me too (Firefly, that is). I like the film Serenity, one of the best Sci-Fi films ever.

Yeah! That triple-framed opening sequence is about the most elegant, dense, and effective back-story opener I've ever seen. EVER. Crafted stuff. And really good in all other ways, too.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
The trailer for Dollhouse ... I dunno. The plot sounds good enough, but the visuals ... I am not convinced when the advertising relies on the face and body of a beautiful female. Means the rest will be lacking most of the time.

We'll see. I suppose you'll report back ;)

bernie

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
bernie,

Yes, I'll definitely report back. And you have a point there. But I think it's worth keeping in mind that the people who do promos and trailers are almost never the same people who do the actual show or movie. Could just be that THEY thought that was their best bet, but maybe it's 'cause they were wrong and not because it really was the best tack.

We shall see.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting I'll have to read up on it. I'm a firefly fan. But I think it's unfortunate that it'll end up on Fox. I'm afraid, with good reason imho, that another good show will end up being canceled due to Fox's whim (of dumb reality TV shows). :mecry:
But we can always hope...

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting show, js

Might have some good potential. I wonder if it will be more of a sci-fi twist or a shoot-em up drama like La Femme Nakita.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
So, is anyone else excited about a new Joss Whedon show?

Yes Sir! :twothumbs

But I'm still p*ssed at the way they ended "Angel." Not as bad as the series-ending to "The Sopranos." But still....

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Francis,

Isn't that freaking amazing? That opening multi-part harmony song of Act 2? I often watch just that bit just to hear that song again (and again).

I'm guessing you must have seen the musical episode of BTVS Season 6, yes?

PurpleDrazi

Newly Enlightened
I'm guessing you must have seen the musical episode of BTVS Season 6, yes?

Technically . . . yes . . . I was watching it "Memento" syle. The friends I was with started at the end, watched 5 minutes, backed it up 10 minutes, watched it another 5 minutes, backed it up 10 minutes . . . :)

[hangs head in shame] actually . . . except for an episode here and there, I haven't really seen BtVS or Angel . . . but I will -- *honest*

Francis

:dedhorse: <==== Bad Horse? ;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.... the musical episode of BTVS Season 6, yes?

I saw that episode. I've seen them all. And all the Angel episodes too.

My favorite episode of BTVS was one of the extremely rare comedy episodes. Xander becomes irresistable to women, and has to run away constantly from an army of horny women & girls. When he runs inside Buffy's home and Dru rips the backdoor off its hinges as a bunch of girls start flooding into the house, but she can't enter the house herself.... Oh, that was GOLD! :crackup: