How hot does an L2D CE Q5 get?

R.ticle One

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at a Fenix L2D CE Q5 as an EDC, except with a warmer tinted emitter instead of the Q5 in it.

I've read that it can get really hot on turbo - those who've used it, just how hot is that? Unbearable after...how long?

And - can anything be done to lessen this? I don't know, a custom fin-based heatsink or something, or is it nothing to worry about?

Cheers,

R.ticle One

jenskh

Enlightened
I have used my L2D Q5 in turbo mode for up to 1/2 an hour, and it has never become so hot that it has worried me at all. I do not think it is a problem if you are carrying the light and the surrounding temperature is not too high.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
On turbo, it gets pretty warm, even if you are holding it, but not unbearably so. However, if the name hadn't clued you in, turbo mode is exactly that- a turbo mode. If you just want a lot of light, use high mode. The light doesn't warm up badly with high mode, even when tailstanding.

R.ticle One

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys,

That's reassuring. Yeah, I'm sure high mode would be plenty bright for most things, and too bright for some, turbo as a serious resort for most average needs, or just to shock people. ;)

R.