Public Schools Responsible for Firearm Safety?

ewick

Enlightened
This is a continuation of a thread in the General Flashlight and Headlamp Discussion found here.

Any thoughts?

Willmore

Enlightened
Well, beliefs about firearms are sort of like religion, so.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyone see the Simpsons episode where Bart and Lisa get sent to military school? The DI is indoctrinating Bart into firearms and makes some comment that since Bart went to a public school, they'll just assume a proficiency with small arms and start him out with a grenade launcher. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I went to a public school. I had gun safety. I still have the certificate and the hunter orange patch. But, then again, I'm originally from Iowayyy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Is there a way we could just mist or fog Valium over the whole East Coash of the US? These people are way too uptight. Slow down, chill out, people. If it works, next stop, California.

Tomas

Banned
Maybe put it in the water like flouride or chlorine, Willmore? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Having lived in NJ and having spent much time in NYC, I'll agree it might help ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tomsig03.gif

NCBirdHunter

Newly Enlightened
I'm originally from Iowayyy, too and I also remember the gun safety course, the certificate and the hunter orange patch (although, I don't think I have them any more).

I would definitely second the Valium idea, but would suggest starting with CA then going to NY/NJ. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Willmore, from what part of Iowa did you come. I spent '77 to '86 in Muscatine (south of Davenport). I'm on the east coast now, but would love to get back to the midwest.

OzMan

Willmore

Enlightened
Sorry, OzMan, I'm from the other side. I'm from NW Iowa. Over near Okaboji. I'll be back there some day--if I get a say in the matter. The fiance is from Sioux City, so she's not against it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I liked the people out in Seattle--I used to work for VoiceStream (not T-mobile)--and I spent quite some time out there. I didn't like the weather. Enough so that I wouldn't be able to live there happily. I just seem to need sunlight at least once a month... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

NCBirdHunter

Newly Enlightened
Ahhh, Seattle...

I spent a year there one week. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seriously, a few years ago I was the Project Manager on a project that required me to be in Seattle for about six months. I absolutely loved it. At the conclusion of the project, I was offered a job by the division exec for whom I had managed the project, but I ultimately turned the job down for some of the same reasons you mention. The country is gorgeous, but I need sunlight for often than they get it there -- and there are way too many liberals there! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

webley445

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a kid there was a local Boy's Club that had a range on the second floor of the building for airguns and .22's

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey it doesn't rain that much in Washington. And as Silviron said, we have the best coffee, and with our flashlights what do need the sun for?

Willmore

Enlightened
Best coffee? How do you figure? Last I heard, that was held by our good friends (ne, kindly masters) from Hawaii or, to be specific, the island of Kona. Sing along, "I want peabody Kona, oh, give me peabody Kona!"

Tomas

Banned
Uh, Jamaica Blue Mountain, Willmore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There are probably more coffee roasters, cofee grinders, espresso machines, espresso stands, coffee shops per capita in Seattle than in any other place on Earth. My favorite espresso stand used to have a road construction type sign on it that said:

-----------
CAUTION:
Last Chance
Next Coffee
300 feet!
-----------

Heck, that's nearly a whole BLOCK without coffee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

tomsig03.gif

Willmore

Enlightened
Okay, so you *like* coffee, but that doesn't equate to good. I mean, when I was in Chicago, they had a lot of pizza, but none of it was good.... *ducks*

Jamaica Blue Mountain, huh? Okay, I'll have to take a look for that, thanks.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

another thread, sailing off course into the red-brown sea.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Willy, that's peaberry Kona that you want..

Willmore

Enlightened
Hey, I was cleaning (sorting through boxes from our last move) and found my Firearm Safety class patch and certificate! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif