M60 + SF M951

signal 13

Enlightened
I'm running a Malkoff M60 in a SF M951 weaponlight. Due to the design of the LU60 adaptor, I have to use a small magnet from lighthound for the M60 spring to make contact w/ the primaries.

Is there any (reliable) way to make better contact? I don't want to stretch the spring. I'd almost rather solder on a longer spring or something like that.

Any suggestions?

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Personally, I just stretched the spring on my tailcap and Malkoff a bit. Not an ideal solution, but it has worked so far.

I love the 951/952 with Malkoff M60 for carbine work.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I would be afraid that during recoil the magnet would jump around and possibly cause a short.

I'd stretch the spring or possibly take up every bit of possible side to side movement of the magnet with either a PVC ring or even cork.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be afraid that during recoil the magnet would jump around and possibly cause a short.

I'd stretch the spring or possibly take up every bit of possible side to side movement of the magnet with either a PVC ring or even cork.

Stretching the spring and going without the magnet will pretty much guarantee intermittent loss of contact during recoil, the exact opposite of what you want.

those magnets are extremely strong and aren't going anywhere from the recoil. It should be working quite well. If you want a tighter fit put 2 in series and the hold will also be stronger.

N/Apower

Enlightened
This may be just me, but if you use this weapon for duty. I would stop improvising. If it doesn't go togather properly without any kind of wierd engineering that you have questions about. Don't do it. Yeah, you will spend some sick money doing things right, but you know what? You will have 100% peace of mind that your equipment is just as good as you are. That is how my M16A4 clone ended up costing $4K, but the only stuff I have on it are KAC, LaRue,Surefire,Trijicon,Troy, well, you get the idea. I hate "good enough".

If you like the light your M60 unit puts out, try the Surefire Scout 600C or buy an older scout and get the KX2C head. It will have a larger hotspot and equal or better throw of the M60. With a beam-diffuser (F04 SF part #) it will have great flood too. Or you could buy a KL4 head and slap it on there if you know you will be indoors. Put the Malkoff in a handheld and enjoy it that way.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
The OP does not state the rifle or caliber so how can you be certain the magnet is strong enough to not move?

The penalty for being wrong is a blown up light OP, just be careful.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
I run the same drop-in in the same weapon light system. Just stretch the spring! Over 1.5 years and no problems with mine and it sees constant use!!!

signal 13

Enlightened
I know what you mean about not improvising. I use the light on my duty AR-15. Not a lot of recoil, but I definitely want reliability.

The LU60 adaptor has a plastic ring around the area where the magnet and spring make contact. Not a lot of room for it to move around. Even if it did, there doesn't seem to be any place for it to touch metal or cause any shorts.

I'll try to get pics posted soon.

I really wanted to go LED/long runtime on my weaponlight and the P60L just doesn't cut it. Maybe I can talk Gene into making me a M60 with a longer spring? :poke: