We're living in the Matrix - Told 'ya so

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The director of Fermilab's Center for Particle Astrophysics just recently stated "we are all living in a giant cosmic hologram." And he says "that if the holographic principle is confirmed, it rules out all approaches to quantum gravity that do not incorporate the holographic principle. Conversely, it would be a boost for those that do - including some derived from string theory and something called matrix theory." :D

Here is the link to this interesting article in NewScientist ezine : Link

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Errr . . . you do realize that the term matrix doesn't mean exactly the same thing as the movie, right? LOL!

BTW, I've always loved your user-name!

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats a fair bit of holographic information for the old head to get around!:sick2:

Errr . . . you do realize that the term matrix doesn't mean exactly the same thing as the movie, right? LOL!

Maybe we are all just living in the underworld.
icon10.gif

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read/heard about this years ago. Quantum physicists/string theorists had noticed that the behavior of sub-atomic particles suggested that our universe was merely a giant computer simulation.

Perhaps in the "real" reality we are all just gelatinous blobs, connected to a giant mainframe.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hum, I wonder if their useing our tax dollars on this stuff. Further, if true...now that we know, the experiment may be over and shut down...everything will just fade away...just great...:faint:

LOL

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hum, I wonder if their useing our tax dollars on this stuff. Further, if true...now that we know, the experiment may be over and shut down...everything will just fade away...just great...:faint:

LOL

:crackup:

I don't think they'd just shut it down, sounds like some expensive equipment. Of course it has been about 14 billion years, probably obsolete by now. Maybe it'll get sold as surplus.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quantum physicists/string theorists had noticed that the behavior of sub-atomic particles suggested that our universe was merely a giant computer simulation.

Could explain why nobody's heard from God in awhile. She probably grew up and discovered boys. Let's hope her mother doesn't throw out the Ant Farm. :devil:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes - this is a :whistle: or a tongue in cheek sort of thread. I think you work somewhat in this arena don't you? (particle accelerator isn't it?) Are any of your co-workers or scientists talking about any of this?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes - this is a :whistle: or a tongue in cheek sort of thread. I think you work somewhat in this arena don't you? (particle accelerator isn't it?) Are any of your co-workers or scientists talking about any of this?

I got the humor! I was trying to inject a little of my own.

And, no, the funny thing is that only lay-people (if you will excuse the term) and the physicists directly involved seemed to talk much about this stuff. For myself, I think the reason why is that the physicists understand that to really talk about it they have to know the mathematical foundation and experimental setups that gathered the data that suggested the math, in order to really talk about it (such as string theory, for example).

What I can tell you is that there is a LOT of interpretation going on to go from the data to a statement like "the universe looks like it's a giant computer simlulation".

Don't put too much faith in that notion.

For myself, I think it's more generally accurate to say that most particle physicists would agree with the statement that "the universe is a lot more like a giant thought, than a giant machine." (But really, it is neither--note the "more like" bit--i.e. only an analogy.)

It's very, VERY difficult to carry significance from one realm (particle physics) to another (ontology, for example). Metaphors must be used, and well, they are metaphors. The word "metaphor" comes from the greek words for carry (like as in pheremones--same root) and between (as in metastasis, for example). In other words, it's a lot more like poetry than science. Which is fine, just so long as you keep in mind that poetry is largely subjective, even the scientific variety.

Empath

Flashaholic
Guesses of such things as "the universe looks like it's a giant computer simlulation" fall into the trap of trying to envision the universe from outside the universe (if indeed there is such a thing as outside the universe).

All we can know of the universe is defined from within the universe. Anything conceivably beyond such boundaries can not be viewed as anything more than imaginative characteristics; not even the progression of time.