AA MINI MAG TACTICAL GRIP MOD

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello not seen this one before so here goes. I use a AA mini maglite as my edc which has the nite ize 1 watt led upgrade along with the iq switch upgrade ,great little torch but as you guys know if you have got wet or oily hands it can be a right pig to use with it being so smooth . So thinking cap on using what was at hand it the workshop I made the following ,I took a plated 16 mm hexagonal nut spun it in a lathe and reamed it out so it was a nice slide fit on the battery tube and then pressed it on to the knurled section until you could just see the knurling start to emerge say about 22mm from the rear edge of the battery tube ,job done . I now have a superbly balanced flashlight which you can use cigar style or full grip style with wet or oily hands and also wont roll off the bench,brilliant and for no cost apart from my time and it does not look to bad .hope you find this little mod useful been looking for something like this for a while .cheers Cliff

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
:thumbsup:eek:k will post some photos when i get a chance away from base at moment so may take a few days other facts about the mod the nut measured 24mm a.f. and the internal measurement is about 18mm. Would have used a stainless nut still might do but did not have to hand looks like there might be a mk2 on the horizon.cliff

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
Hello again regarding some photos having some problems at this moment uploading to this site but if you would like to point your browser to flickr website you will find some images of the above mini maglite mod goto www .flickr.com/photos/drillbritz2ov/ hope you find them useful .thanks alot cliff

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
3214203828_279cd2eebb.jpg

3213352067_b727098224.jpg

Here you go....:twothumbshttp://farm4.static.flickr.com/3428/3214203828_279cd2eebb.jpg?v=0

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
My pleasure....!

:paypal:

EDIT:
WOW..!
My 1000 post....!

Last edited:

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
might be practical, but i do not really like the look of it....
Sorry! :crazy:
maybe a round piece with knurls in stead of a nut will look nicer?

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
hello ,thought about a machined and knurled collar easy to make ,but the idea was more practical than aesthetic a round collar wont stay put where as an hexagonal collar will stay put on any level ish surface. Will admit its an agricultural solution but its a 5 minute mod at no cost against expensive machined part at some cost . Thanks for your comments all appreciated and for the future got a new edc coming in the shape of a fenix pd 20 ,gonna retire mini mag to daily workshop use .cheers cliff.p.s.it looks deceiving but extra weight at rear gives it a bit more balance and in candle mode the weight is lower down so more stable as well .cheers again .cliff

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
Mini Mag upgrades can see a common theme developing here not gonna give up on old work horse yet can see the idea needs a little finesseing so looking at new design of a grip ring with an integral pocket clip maybe in stainless or alloy. Let you know the outcome .cliff

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
might be practical, but i do not really like the look of it....
Sorry! :crazy:
maybe a round piece with knurls in stead of a nut will look nicer?
How's this:
DSC_9151.jpg

I originally planned on making this like the nut that drillbritz2ov did but I cut too much off the aluminum so I decided to just make a simple collar. I'll start another thread about this piece.

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
How's this:
DSC_9151.jpg

I originally planned on making this like the nut that drillbritz2ov did but I cut too much off the aluminum so I decided to just make a simple collar. I'll start another thread about this piece.

That gives it a nicer look indeed ( in my opinion)
For sure if you would have the ability to anodise it in black and make a knurl on it :twothumbs

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
How's this:

If that one turns out to be anodised in black or any other colours even I would get me a M%G.....!!!

:faint:

I never thought I would use all them words in one sentence......:laughing:

Looks good...!!!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, guys! I'm going to make a second one when my brother frees up another piece of 3/4" thick aluminum scrap from his R/C projects. Since a friend of ours bought the aluminum I can't just cut pieces from it for my own projects. I'll have to find a place locally that can do anodizing and find out what it'll cost me to do it. The first piece will remain in the raw or clearcoated because I have a silver Mini-Mag that I can put it on.

drillbritz2ov

Newly Enlightened
Hello again the above mod is an ongoing one driven by necessity .been happy with mod so far but needed a pocket clip to make secure in pocket of overalls , fed up of it falling out when bending down so found a nice big spring clip which has been attached to the collar with a couple of spot welds ,just the job .put some photos on my flickr page web address is on one of my previous posts .lol cliff

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag makes a pocket clip for the MM. It looks like a removable clip from one of those old pens and is sold with the hexagonal rubber antiroll thing, some colored lenses, and a lanyard.