Fridgidaire Front Load Washer Help

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since last October I've been trying to get my new #2940 washer repaired. Had I not been using front load washers since the 1970's I may not have known there was a problem with the rinse cycles.

The new machine developed a bizarre and random cycle sequence within weeks of its purchase. It no longer goes into a moderate speed spin to extract water during the rinse cycles. Final spin properly goes into high speed spin. The main control board was already replaced and a new motor speed control board has now been ordered.

The technician and Electrolux CS seem to know less than I do. The control unit (PLC) senses the waveform & output of the tachometer on the motor to determine out-of-balance and decides how to tumble or spin the load.

It would be a shame if an intermittent mult-pin connector was the problem, but the tech didn't run any tests or stick around to see if the first board replacement did the job.

Thanks for any suggestions, just in case the next "fix" isn't.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both boards have now been replaced and I tested the tach for output, proper resistance and cable intermittents and cannot find a problem. Oddly, after the new motor control board was installed the washer fails to speed up to extract water in all but the last spin cycle.

Communication failure codes are available to indicate bad components or wiring between boards, but none have been displayed. I'm left to guessing the first control board which was replaced is also bad or the tach output is incorrect in spite of the proper resistance reading. However, it properly ramps up to full spin speed during the last cycle.

Might the controller have faulty firm ware or programming? The appliance shop has replaced almost everything and is considering returning it to Electrolux to see if the washer will be declared "unrepairable."

I enjoy mysteries and electro-mechanical troubleshooting, but this one is a real dog.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited: