P60 FAQ? Does it exist?

Simplicity05

Newly Enlightened
Did a search via google search bar up top and couldn't find a FAQ regarding the whole P60 thing. If I just simply have missed a FAQ that explains my questions, a quiet link will do just fine. I'm just curious of how it works, not the particulars of x host vs y host, and a dropin vs b dropin. Plenty of time for research and discussion on that later.

From the best I can figure, you take a host, something like:

Link

and then put a P60/D26-sized dropin in it, such as the "D26-LED Selected Tint Version" on this page:

Link

3rd from left, top row.

So basically, host + dropin = yay, from what I can figure out on my own.

I found both of those through the P60 sticky at the top of the forums, and at the bottom of the host page, it says:

V: Remember your Voltages
Now, the best I can surmise is that these lights all have a voltage range on them. Example of the dropin I posted:

3.6V-13V Regulated Input

So that means on that dropin, you can run as low as 3.6v and up to 13v, and the dropin circuitry will regulate how much juice the actual emitter gets? How does it work with other dropins that don't advertise "Regulated Input"? Are they direct drive at that point? And obviously total voltage is determined by adding the voltage of the total number of cells since they'd be in a series circuit, or by the rated voltage on a single cell, right? So, 2x CR123's = 6v total, but I think I remember reading that some RCR123's are something like 3.7v? Or was that a different cell?

Also, with the "3.6V-13V Regulated Input" having 13v going in, would that just mean a longer run-time, sacrificing a larger battery tube in favor of more time?

Now I'm certain someone before me has asked these, but as I said I couldn't find these answers on my own, so please forgive my asking them again, and thanks in advance for the time taken to read through this post!
:thanks:

carrot

Flashaholic
Any fully P60 compatible host will work with any fully P60 compatible drop-in. That's all. One host, one drop-in. Sometimes we refer to the P60 assembly as a light engine, because it contains the important stuff required to run (LED + electronics). The drop-in contains all the circuitry and the host is just a battery tube, although some hosts are far better than others due to excellent build quality, etc. The host does not care what sort of voltage you run through it, but the light engine sure does.

Surefire's C-series are primarily the hosts for the P60 seeing as it is their standard. The C-series includes the 6P, G2, C2, M2, Z2, D2, 9P, G3, C3, Z3 and D3. The G2 has problems with some P60 drop-ins but seeing as it is a common host most information on drop-ins make note of it and what you need to do to make it work.

carrot

Flashaholic
It is hard to generalize what the circuitry does. Rest assured as long as you are putting in voltage in the correct range as specified by manufacturer it will probably do whatever they claim it does, or something close.

I'm not sure I understand your second question, but just because someone says regulated doesn't mean it is necessarily a flat line output. It is a pretty broad brush to claim regulation (which people use to say it uses a boost or buck or boost/buck circuit). If it is not regulated it is probably direct drive and may use a resistor.

Yes, you add voltage when cells are in series.

The lithium-ion chemistry (RCR123, 17670, etc) provides 3.7-4.2 volts.

The lithium primary chemistry (CR123, CR2, etc) from disposable batteries provides 3.0v.

Don't know, it depends on how the D26 LED is designed. You may get more output and less runtime, or more runtime and the same output, or both, or whatever. Ask LF for specifics.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, the best I can surmise is that these lights all have a voltage range on them. Example of the dropin I posted:

3.6V-13V Regulated Input

So that means on that dropin, you can run as low as 3.6v and up to 13v, and the dropin circuitry will regulate how much juice the actual emitter gets? How does it work with other dropins that don't advertise "Regulated Input"?

The regulated in that particular case is probably referring (someone correct me if I'm wrong) a "buck" type of driver, meaning that the input voltage will be regulated down to 3.6V. This makes it easy to use a wide variety of cells with the same driver, but does so at a loss of efficiency.

Example: 3.6V-13V driver with 13V input would be less efficient than a 12V-16V driver with a 13V input, but you could use the 3.6V-13V driver with a single Li-ion cell.

Most LED drop-ins are regulated somewhat, but not all are regulated the same way. Some are regulated for longer runtimes, others are regulated to boost the input voltage to the voltage needed by the LED. A perfect example of that is a single AA LED torch.

If you already noticed the P60 drop-in list, you may also want to check out some of these threads for useful information on batteries.

Simplicity05

Newly Enlightened
Example: 3.6V-13V driver with 13V input would be less efficient than a 12V-16V driver with a 13V input, but you could use the 3.6V-13V driver with a single Li-ion cell.

So by that logic, a 3.6v-13v would be more efficient powered closer to the 3.6v side of things? Is it to be assumed that it accepts up to 13v so it can be dropped into more hosts?

carrot

Flashaholic
uh...note that a P60 and a P90 takes up the same amount of space, a P60 lamp in a host built for a P90 (three cell) your lamp will instaflash, guaranteed
Well just a few days ago I was thinking to myself how I'd like to put my P60L in my G3 (yes, this is FINE, as the P60L can run on 9v) so it depends on the module. It does fit though. :)

Simplicity05

Newly Enlightened
Didn't want to start my 3rd thread the same day - don't want to get the rap of a spammer :p

Any recommendations for a good 2x123 host that has a bezel-down clip?