Best Pocket Flashlight suggestions for LE

MavZ28

Newly Enlightened
First post here all, so forgive any newness!

I'm looking for suggestions for a pocket flashlight. Here's my needs:
LED, Rechargeable, close to mil spec, at least 60 lumens, preferrably more. I'm a surefire guy, but am willing to go outside of that. Heres a bit more circumstance for background: Former military guy, now a police officer. I need it as my backup for this job. I carry a stinger now as primary, but often find myself grabbing my pocket light first. Currently thats an E2E irredescent. Tired of the battery replacement.

I do have the more current surefire LED L4, the one in which its tapered to a point to where a rechargeable UltraFire 17670 3.7V will not work. So now I have two lights purchased and its not a perfect fit.

For those law enforcement guys, your opinion would definately be appreciated through experience. I have a decent sized billy pocket, one in which a three cell light will probably fit. I'm open to that idea too.

I'm curious to see what you guys come up with for a durable, lasting pocket rechargeable LED. I have searched some options, but am curious to hear from those who come from the same background or similar circumstance as I.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fellow LEO here, in April 09 Streamlight is coming out with a Strion led rechargeable light 160 lumens (high),80 lumens (medium),40 lumens (low) and a strobe mode. I'm looking at getting one as soon as they are available at my local dealer.
I've been using various Streamlights off and on for the last 6-9 years most of that as a LEO. I would not hesitate to recommend a Streamlight flashlight to a fellow LEO. Excellent lights with rock solid customer service.

Last edited:

Dole

Newly Enlightened
There are tons of Fenix flashlights with different levels of output and high durability. Most of which offer the option of using rechargeable batteries. For law enforcement, I would recommend the TK11 or TK20. They're brighter and cheaper than streamlight and durability in my opinion is close if not just as good as Surefire. check out fenix-store.com

Dole

Newly Enlightened
if you're looking for something more pocketable I would go with the PD30. I have it and I love it. and it take rechargeables

Delta1067

Newly Enlightened
1. Surefire 6P Incandescent: 65 Lumens, with momentary on and twist for constant tailcap. http://www.surefire.com/6P-Original
If you go this rout by a Malkoff LED Drop In. This is without argument the best LED drop in on the market. 235 Lumens. $55 http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id==

2. Jet Beam JetIII Milatary/Law Enforcement: 225 Lumens with a forward clicky and momentary on. $90 then use code cpfjet for a 10% discount.
http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jemi.html
Jet III Milatary/LE Review: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211631

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ra Clicky is the finest production light made in a pocket size.
  • Rechargeable: Yes
  • Close to Mil-Spec:
  • LED: Yes
  • Output: 100 lumens for 1 hour on one battery (runtimes are typically better than that on primary batteries; all of mine run over an hour on rechargeables at the 100 lumen setting)
  • Durable: Yes; engineered to withstand the most brutal treatment possible.
  • Long running: Yes and it has the ability to run at lower output levels for even longer runtimes when you don't need as much light and prefer to save the batteries.
Other good options (but not as good in my opinion):
  • Surefire E1B
  • Surefire L1
I am not a LEO by the way but buy the Ra and thank me later.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will the 17670 fit into the E2E? The E2 and L4 use the same body, so the heads (and tails, but that shouldn't matter) should interchange.

foxtrot29

Enlightened
Surefire E1B -- you said pocket light right? 80 lumens, and it's a Surefire -- I need not say anything else. Not enough lumens? Same price and you can get the E2DL at 120 lumens from Surefire -- but not a very pocket friendly light.

If it's something you want on your duty belt, I carry a Surefire 6P w Malkoff M60 now. Sometimes the Streamlight Strion.\

[EDIT]

Just noticed you wanted to hear from LEO's -- LEO here!

I read above a backup light to what you already have.

E1B. :)

Last edited:

HEDP

Enlightened
The Ra Clicky is the finest production light made in a pocket size.
  • Rechargeable: Yes
  • Close to Mil-Spec:
  • LED: Yes
  • Output: 100 lumens for 1 hour on one battery (runtimes are typically better than that on primary batteries; all of mine run over an hour on rechargeables at the 100 lumen setting)
  • Durable: Yes; engineered to withstand the most brutal treatment possible.
  • Long running: Yes and it has the ability to run at lower output levels for even longer runtimes when you don't need as much light and prefer to save the batteries.
Other good options (but not as good in my opinion):
  • Surefire E1B
  • Surefire L1
I am not a LEO by the way but buy the Ra and thank me later.

The Ra Clicky looks awesome but yikes, $150 is a lot.

I was thinking $50-$70.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Ra Clicky looks awesome but yikes, $150 is a lot.

I was thinking $50-$70.

I'll second the Ra Clicky suggestion. Even though they are a bit out of your budget, it would be money well spent. The Clicky's are THE BEST "pocket carry" flashlights on the market IMO.

The EDC Tactical, which is rated for 120 lumens on burst, is only $109. The EDC Exectutive can be had for $99.