Searching for nearly indestructible beater light

balou

Enlightened
I'm searching for a tough light, one that I can lend to peoples, and it will probably be dropped, stepped over, dumped in mud and all kinds of other tortures. And probably it will get lost... so it should be not to expensive (40$ or less).
Cheap, sturdy, bright - chose any two, then it'll be cheap and sturdy.

By now you might wonder for what I'm gonna use this - well, it's for an openair festival, and it will be used from building the stage and tents, during the whole festival and until everything is again dismantled.
Two years ago everything (including people ;)) was covered in mud, last year there was a thunderstorm right over the festival area and trees broke like matchsticks (fortunately before it officially started). So I basically want to be prepared this year, whatever will come :D
By the way, last year a macbook pro got run over by a truck. Screen kaput, case totally warped... but it still booted with an external monitor.

So far I've seen two lights that probably fit my needs - Surefire G2 Nitrolon and Energizer Hard Case Professional 2AA.

Other flashlights I should consider? How sturdy are the two I mentioned? Any idea where to buy? (I'm in Switzerland, so the shop must have international shipping)

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2 is pretty damned tough...can't speak for the Hard Case.

Mags are pretty tough too...get a 2D LED and you'll get good run time too.

balou

Enlightened
The Inova X5 is too small - might get lost easily, and black color doesn't help either :)

LED Mag: hehe, yeah if I find a shop which ships internationally... else it'll cost me about 100$. Unfortunately, Amazon has shipping restrictions on Maglites. Any other shop selling them?

By the way, the Hardcase Pro is available from Amazon for just $21.
Anybody knows a good Surefire dealer?

Edit: D'oh... Amazon won't ship the Energizer to Switzerland either...
Edit2: It gets more confusing... if I directly go to the BIC Superstore website then I can put it in my cart and then proceed with the Amazon login. No taxes or shipping costs are added. Fine with me if they forget to add shipping costs...
But I'm not ordering that one yet, still want to get some more input from you

Last edited:

ktafil

Newly Enlightened
For a 2D check the UK. The UK pound is very cheap now on exchangerate.
Shipping from UK to NL is no problem, guess to swiss must be OK as well.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
My toughest lights thus far have been my Energizer hard-case 2AAA, RC-N3-Q5 and Fenix L1T V2.0. All of these lights have been dropped repeatedly from waist/chest high levels onto concrete and ceramic tile floor... landing with a SMACK. They are dinged and dented but still work fine.

My 6P has a dented bezel and a cracked lens from such treatment. I need to call Surefire to order a replacement. The DX:11836 that I use with the 6P has handled the shock/impact like a CHAMP. The DX:11836 thus far has been more durable than its host.

My Inova X1-V2 died on impact from similar treatment.

toolpig1

Enlightened
Inova XO (4.8 watt/reflector version) is one of the toughest lights I've owned. Lithium batteries have great shelf life and superior cold weather performance. The switch is a tailcap twistie with momentary button, no delicate clickie switch to break. The lens is scratch proof mineral glass recessed in a stainless steel bezel. The titanium finish model would be more difficult to lose than the black finish.

The Inova Bolt series doesn't have quite the output, or the perfect power regulation, but is also a tough light. This would give you a 2AA option.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G2. It will take everything you can throw at it and won't even show it. Grippy in wet due to it's raised texture that few (and more expensive) aluminum lights can match. Get a lower output LED drop-in for it if you want but it will run decent time stock. It has been my in-car emergency do-all light for two years (since I got it) with incan and LED lamps. Best to get one here on BST. Many people will ship internationally as long as you cover actual shipping cost.

The Hardcase should be good too. Cost less and should be able to take abuse.

Everybody has their "I dropped my $10 DX light a bunch of times and it still works, so it's tough" story, while there are 10 others who got the same light DOA or DOFD (First Drop). Unless you lose it, it's GAURANTEED you will have the G2 in perfect working order for NEXT year's concert, because SF will fix it, though the G2 is dead simple - there's not even a clicky to fail.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with a lot of the above posts--go for the SF G2. It's one tough little light. Usually, it not having the Pyrex lens like all the other SureFire lights is seen as a negative, but in your case, the Lexan lens won't crack when dropped a million times (it might be pretty scratched though).

With the kind of work you describe that you will be doing, I'd get the G2 and a SF lanyard for it. It will help keep it from getting dropped so much, but more importantly, you can just let it hang from your wrist when you need your hands free.

-Robert

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Look no further than the G2 or G2L. Have you tried OpticsHQ for international shipping? I am not sure if they will, but it's possible.

balou

Enlightened
96.75$ shipping costs via UPS :eek:
there's another option: "[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Shipping: International - We Will Contact You With The Price $0.00". [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]but you have to give them your credit card number to get a quote on the shipping cost... which makes me kinda uneasy. Isn't there a 4sevens-like shop which sells internationally without shipping costs?

And thinking about the G2... will it run on RCR123s? (if they fit at all). I could also get a dropin module from DX for 10$... with that I could even use a 17670 (from a voltage point of view it'll work, will it fit?). But that board might break more easily than the original incan :D At least I could keep the original lamp assembly near as spare.

RobertM: Well, it won't be me who is dropping it ;) But yeah, attaching a lanyard might be a way to signalize 'please don't drop me, hang me on to your neck'. By the way, last year I permanently loaned my SAK to the people at the entrance, apparently their scissor fell apart, and they needed it for the tickets. So I guess a lanyard plus nametag would be a great idea.

So far my choice seems Magled, Energizer Hard Case and G2. I'd really like to own a Surefire, but they're more expensive. The Energizer is cheap, but output is quite dim. And Maglite... well, I'd have to find a good deal on them, surely I won't spend more money on a maglite than a surefire costs. edit: besides, I don't really like companies who demand triple the US price locally...

Last edited:

YAK-28

Enlightened
how about the old streamlight 4aa propolymer? tough, comfortable, lanyard, yellow. i think i've even heard mine ask to play in the mud. but maybe there was some beer around there somwhere.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest your decide which light you like and check out CPF MarketPlace. If you keep looking, you will eventually find the light you want. Vendors are becoming more and more open to shipping international too without the huge price penalty charged by retail stores.

You will have to spend around $5-$10 extra but its worth it.

I have bought around 10 lights so far via MarketPlace and had no problems with the sale and shipping to Australia.

James...

saildude

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight 4AA Lux or LED - rugged about $ 35- about 4 to 5 hrs run time Streamlight 2AA LED $ 20- not as much light as the 4AA but runs about 15 hrs on a set of batteries -

yellow with rugged plastic body - I use them and like them

I would use LED lights so you don't have to worry about replacing bulbs -

Streamlights should be easily found in Europe. UK lights would also be a good match and also easy to find.