Surefire A2 Aviator. Pics, Patent and Serial numbers

danpass

Newly Enlightened
It's been a while that we've seen a love-my-A2 thread so here we go :D :

I'd been holding out for some time for an A2, especially the 4-flats version. This past week I received a great one from a CPF'r:

Digital Plus Series
Serial #: A15357
US Patent: 5629105, 6222138, 6547415

Its everything I'm after in a quality flashlight with a strong main, long runtime low, great grip, overall size and form factor, water resistance, and strong company.

The 4-flats model just fits my hand right. I've tried the rounder 3-flats and its just not the same.

For several years now I've EDC'd a Fenix L1P on my belt and it has never failed me. But alas the body was just too smooth and just a tad short (the two cell being too long) for my hand. Plus it was just one speed.

Until I really got into CPF'ing I never thought that the tailcap of the A2 was all that unique. The action of little press-little light, strong press-strong light just seemed so obvious to me that I thought many multi-level lights would have the same functionality in their tailcap.

The level of detail that went into the A2's design also impressed me, such as the often mentioned regulation of the main beam and the soft start. There are many other threads that really get into the nitty gritty so I won't delve much into it.

Suffice to say that the SF A2-HA-RD is my EDC light over the L1P now. I thought yellow/green would be my requirement but the low red has turned out just fine.

p1053048672.jpg

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Surefire A2 Aviator

I too have the A2 with red LEDs. Out of all my lights, my A2 is still my all-time favorite! :rock:

Cool picture too!

-Robert

Max Brightness

Enlightened

I love "I love my A2" threads because I really love my A2's.

I have a round body with white leds and a flat side body with green leds. The green leds are a ton brighter than my white and I can easily navigate outdoors whereas the white leds are better closer range.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic

I still love my A2.

Been meaning to pick up a spare bulb and carrier for it but have yet to get around to it. Still strong on its first bulb.

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice piece you´ve got there. For some real thrill get a Fivemega strion socket. You will have brilliat white regulated and will never look back to the factory lamp.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

How do you like that Fundamentals of Astrodynamics book, by the way? I assume you have that for the info on celestial mechanics / celestial navigation? If so, (or even if not LOL!), my dad's a retired Air Force navigator (flew F4 phanotms in viet nam) and used to teach navigation for sailors. He also wrote all the algorthms for a software navigation program called "The Captain", but he sold out his share of that business to his partner Dennis Mills many years ago. I just did a quick search on google, but it looks like that program kind of fell by the way side after he left.

Anyway, just curious about the book!

And, obviously, I love the SF A2.

danpass

Newly Enlightened

Fund of Astrodynamics: I've only read the first chapter but very interesting book so far.

saabgoblin

Enlightened

Loving the A2 is easy and mine was an introduction to a high quality incandescent. Now that Surefire is switching the new A2 to an all Led format I am sort of bummed out because I love the beam color and quality produced by Surefire incans. I know that leds are getting warmer and softer but having a regulated incandescent is a really beautiful thing that I hope we don't loose. Personally, I am looking forward to getting an onion ring upgrade so I can turn my green to white and possibly red as well.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

There will always be incan A2's available, even if only on ebay and here on B/S/T at the marketplace.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had my 4-flats A2 white for years. Like you, I really like the feel of the slimmer body. If I could find a 4-flats YG, I'd buy it. I keep thinking I'll sell the A2 but it's a unique light and I'm not sure I could really bring myself to do that (which you could figure out from the fact that I'd actually buy another if I could find one!).

LED61

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've had my 4-flats A2 white for years. Like you, I really like the feel of the slimmer body. If I could find a 4-flats YG, I'd buy it. I keep thinking I'll sell the A2 but it's a unique light and I'm not sure I could really bring myself to do that (which you could figure out from the fact that I'd actually buy another if I could find one!).

Such as the third from the left ? :naughty: You know those have to have the LED ring switched from a newer round body, as there are no factory Y/G square A2´s. This particular one has all the HA matched and is very dark.

A2sfourflats002.jpg

danpass

Newly Enlightened

Such as the third from the left ? :naughty: You know those have to have the LED ring switched from a newer round body, as there are no factory Y/G square A2´s. This particular one has all the HA matched and is very dark.

A2sfourflats002.jpg

p1035520857-11.jpg

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you love your A2 now....buy a Fivemega Strion Kit for Cheap ($4-5) replacement bulbs and a nice jump in brightness.

By far the best thing you can do for your A2..:thumbsup:

danpass

Newly Enlightened

I NEED an Omega Speedmaster (ya know ... to put it in the pics)

SunStar

Enlightened

Yep... Y/G A2 for me too. It's one of my favorites!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you love your A2 now....buy a Fivemega Strion Kit for Cheap ($4-5) replacement bulbs and a nice jump in brightness.

By far the best thing you can do for your A2..:thumbsup:

The strion kit has been my most useful aftermarket buy of all time - I love it!

I have an A2 (w/ red leds, strion mod and oregonshooter tail) and use it everyday - its my late night bathroom light :candle:

Just curious - is the yellow-green noticeably brighter than the red?