Torch for the Missus

BrendanO

Newly Enlightened
I recently got a decent torch for round the house and now the missus wants one for her handbag that she can use to see where she is going (sidespill), feel safer (shine in the eyes) and as a last resort whack someone with. Can anyone suggest something. I'm considering the Fenix E20 or TK20 !

bagman

Enlightened
Not big enough for wacking :D but my SWMBO is very pleased with the Fenix L1T V2 I got for her. Very good handbag size.

BrendanO

Newly Enlightened
i like the simple 2 mode operation and so will she. How is the low setting ?

bagman

Enlightened
Fenix specs say 16 lumen, not very low but still a useful beam.

I bought one as a present for a student going on a drinking expedition to mainland Europe for a month last summer and she swore by it :D

The simple UI is superb, very good for non flashaholics.

bagman

Enlightened
Its plenty for pottering around a dark house or looking in her handbag for other stuff :D

The high is not going to win awards on the lumen front but the simple UI and forward clickie make it an excellent torch IMHO. Not going to break the bank either.

A Surefire E1B would be a good choice as well but quite a lot more money.

I take it from your language that are in the UK?

BrendanO

Newly Enlightened
Its plenty for pottering around a dark house or looking in her handbag for other stuff :D

The high is not going to win awards on the lumen front but the simple UI and forward clickie make it an excellent torch IMHO. Not going to break the bank either.

A Surefire E1B would be a good choice as well but quite a lot more money.

I take it from your language that are in the UK?

hey fella, I'm from South Africa but live in the UK. Khukman on BB !!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy BrendanO and welcome to CPF,
I like the suggestions so far, but will offer one that I know for a fact has made many a wife and girlfriend happy and even more sympathetic to our peculiar hobby:
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_52&products_id=641

Small (1xAAA), 3 levels of output, easy to operate, reliable, lifetime warranty if bought from 4sevens.com (30 days to try it and return for full refund if not happy), and so stylish that your wife will want to show it to all her girlfriends.

If that's a bit too expensive, there is the black aluminum version which is every bit as nice, if only a bit less stylish:
https://www.4sevens.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_56&products_id=639

All the prices you see on 4sevens.com include free worldwide shipping, and if you include CPF8 at the time of checkout in the appropriate box you also get 8% off.

I will mention that the lovely stainless steel version is twice as heavy as the black aluminum version, but that really only adds to it's feeling of elegance.

Top it off with a package of Energizer e2 AAA lithium batteries and you will have given your wife a light that is not only reliable and bright, but also one that won't take up much valuable space in her purse and will have her giggling with pleasure when she opens it up.

BrendanO

Newly Enlightened
thanks, I'd like to keep it simple - 2 modes would be great. I was also recomended a led lenser p5 !

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd suggest the L1T V2.0 for size, simplicity, and AA battery.

1 lumen is pretty useful, 16 is fine for most normal tasks. Consider that a normal 2D light that most people use is around 15 lumen with fresh batteries, less on average because most people probably don't have fresh batteries in their light, 16 lumen should be great.

Toaster

Enlightened
I agree the Fenix L1T V2.0 would be a fine choice. Forget about trying to blind or whack someone unless your woman is willing to carry around something much larger than will fit in a handbag.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you do grab a Fenix or a light from Fenix Store/4sevens/Eagletac store, 8% off coupon is "CPF8".

Batteryjunction is "CPF2006"

And there are a few more for different stores check here.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
If you want a simple, two mode light here are my thoughts:

As people have already mentioned, the Fenix L1T v2.0 is a good light. I do not think you can go wrong with it.

If you want a nice AA light that has some heft to it, try a JetBeam Element E3P Q3-5A. It is made of stainless steel, also has two modes and the Q3-5A version produces a nice, warm beam.

If you are willing to go higher in your budget and are willing to use something other than a AA to power the light, I think the Muyshondt Aeon would be a nice gift. It is also a two stage light but is powered by a CR2 battery so it is significantly smaller and easier to carry in a purse compared to a AA powered light.

Moka

Enlightened
If you want a nice AA light that has some heft to it, try a JetBeam Element E3P Q3-5A. It is made of stainless steel, also has two modes and the Q3-5A version produces a nice, warm beam.

+1
I'm looking at this one among others for my missus. Although she is a little more tech savvy and a torch fan than she'll let on so I'm considering the D10 or D20 as well...

SimpleIsGood229

Newly Enlightened
I second the vote on the Surefire E2D LED. The low setting is very useful, the high setting will definitely disorient, and the spikes are good for impact. Plus, it's relatively small, so it won't use much space in her purse.