My beloved Fulton Anglehead. PIC HEAVY:)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I love anglehead lights! Especially the Fulton. In my flashlight collection there will always be an A2, M6, my departed grandfather's Rayovac Sportsman 2C, and a Fulton anglehead.

I just had to make a thread about these nearly forgotten wonders.

Recently I dug out my old Fulton that I got when I was in the Army and decided I had to put it into service. It was never very impressive in it's original form honestly, the output is very ordinary. What it does have is a good tight spot with wide stock flood and an easily modded platform with an uber strong body! I have heard that some had bad switches but I have never experienced it personally, maybe I am just lucky. The momentary button is a neat touch but I hardly ever use it. I have knocked it around and it always comes back for more. I've had many lights but I would have to say that this is the light that got me used to EDC'ing a light in my adult years.

The shape is very utility oriented. It can fit into tight spaces and works fantastic clipped to your vest or belt lighting up your way. It tail stands and shoots over low obstacles like grass, will never roll away, and the flat clip on the back can keep it stable for ceiling bounce too. The switch is protected by ears so it's not coming on in your pack. The Fulton comes with colored lenses so you get an odd clear ringy diffusion, white, red, and blue all in the special tailcap compartment. Not only can you use the rear clip but it has a stowed away tailcap loop for hanging it too. Spare bulb space is in the tail that's convienent for bulb swaps and it's better protected than the mag's foam which gets brittle and disintigrates with age.

Modding it is fairly easy. You can use a 8AA to 2D adapter and using 7x NiMH cells and a dummy AA cell running a 6 cell bulb. I have my Fulton running right now on a 6 cell Xenon bulb powered by 7 2000maH Eneloops! There is also the regulated powerstick that gives you 3.6v for 5/12 hours and it comes with 2 Xenon bulbs that lets you choose the runtime. Most things you can do to a 2D Mag you can do here. You can fit a good number of reflector types/sizes in there. My stock metal reflector looks very very lightly stippled, I just wish I had a source of glass lenses for it! Battery options are all over the map! CR123's 4-8AA's 3/4thA's 3C's 2 D's and more.

LED mods are do-able too. Fulton has an LED model out now but I have not gotten to play with one yet. There isn't any way for heat to get out so you need a beefy heatsink. Wayne (ElectroLumens) makes a KILLER survival light giving you 100 lumens of Seoul beauty with a runtime of 24 hours to 50% from 2 plain D cells! I have one on order actually. Many CPF'ers have done LED mods and if you keep the output reasonable and the heatsink big the rest is easy. Because of the lack of a thermal path out of the body this is never going to be a screamer of an LED host but around 100 lumens is just fine.

Sure there are cooler, smaller, brighter lights but there really is something wonderful about the old anglehead. I just thought I'd throw this thread out to list everyone who likes the Fulton or any angle head and maybe compile a bunch of mods while we're at it.
:twothumbs
Anybody got pics?!
IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

Last edited:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: My beloved Fulton Anglehead.

I have 2 of them I got several years ago through an Army/Navy surplus catalog. One OD green, one black. I put an EverLED in the black one. Very durable, and a good general feel to it in the hand. A design that is kind of timeless, even if obsolete now.

DM51

Flashaholic

These (or variants of them) have been around for a looooong time - at least 40 years, maybe more (does anyone know exactly?)

Bearing in mind the age of the design, it has stood the test of time pretty well.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I think I could grind down a Mag sized Borofloat to put in here. If only I had one to experiment with.................

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast

These (or variants of them) have been around for a looooong time - at least 40 years, maybe more (does anyone know exactly?)

Exactly no...but here's a good link. Pretty similar lights were issued in World War II with the current generation dating back to the Vietnam era.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had bad luck then - the bulb of my light broke if you looked at it the wrong way.

Keep this up and I might have to grab one and mod it.

-Trevor

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
They can be had really cheap if you look around, I say go for it!

But then again I AM pretty biased towards these workhorses. :thumbsup:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
They are a great light. I gave my Elektrolumens modded Fulton, with a Lux III and a 27mm reflector to my son.

Bill

kramer5150

Flashaholic
whats with all the MX991/U love lately?... seems like every day there's a post somewhere. A year ago I got laughed at for discussing mods for mine.

Heres mine, hot wired for 6xNiMH cells and a 6D mag lamp.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can take a MagLED 2cell module and shove it into the bulb holder (minus the screw-in bulb retainer) and it fit's just fine. A little brighter than some drop in modules and with a thermal path to the metal reflector.
Just one more idea for modding this overbuilt light.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have always liked the Fulton Anglehead but gave up on it as the switch failed on several lights I had when I was still in the service.Are your switches holding up well or is there a fix for faulty ones ?

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spray mine liberally with deoxit / progold. That seems to keep them working. There's really not too much that can go wrong with them.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can take a MagLED 2cell module and shove it into the bulb holder (minus the screw-in bulb retainer) and it fit's just fine. A little brighter than some drop in modules and with a thermal path to the metal reflector.
Just one more idea for modding this overbuilt light.
It's considerably brighter with an SSC P4 in place of the Luxeon emitter!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I could grind down a Mag sized Borofloat to put in here. If only I had one to experiment with.................

That's what I did to make a glass lens that fit. I used a diamond bit on my dremel and sort of made a circular shape out of it! It makes a good enough seal.

I did notice in Fulton's literature that they offer glass lenses as an option for their industrial lights: http://www.fultonindoh.com/images/documents/IndustrialLightsBrochure.pdf It is quite possible they also sell them for the anglehead lights as well, I have not contacted them to see if that is the case though.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I must call them! THANKS :D

Anyways, the plastic lens is handling the 6 cell xenon bulb on 7AA just fine somehow. 1 hour yesterday and it's just like allways. I'd feel better with Borofloat though!