The Itch Reoccurs With More Frequently

pobox1475

Enlightened
Boy it did not take long for me to start thinking about another flashlight. It all started many years ago with a Surefire 9N for spotting address and a Streamlight Scorpion that at the time amazed me :grin2:. Having to most recently a Lumapower ConneXion last summer to a new Nitecore NEX for X-Mass I'm startin to feel that itch. During the last feeding I got a Pila IBC and some AW protecteds (two RCR's, a 14500 and ahead of the cart a 18650). I think I want something like a Novatac 120E for EDC which looks like it would be comfortable clipped in a pocket. My Lumapower now being feed the 14500 performs well and like to EDC it during warmer months in it's belt sheath. The heavier coats I wear fall/winter don't allow easy access to belt equipment and pants or jacket pocket is prefered. Currently the NEX sees daily duty and giving that I have a spare RCR a 123 light seems to make sense. My only dilema is if the 120E will actually be worth the investment and esentially offer any advantages or quality upgrades over the Nitecore. When I first received it there was an initial disapointment with the loose gap on the clip not holding. I have since removed it and reattached 180 degrees rotated to allow for bending slightly to adjust then reinstaling as normal. This really helped and I do love the light. Any opinions/reccomndations for the 120E or possibly another torch that would compliment my previous acquisitions?

Toaster

Enlightened
I think you could use a larger light with some serious throw and output to compliment your EDC. Something like a Fenix TK11 R2 or an Olight M20 Warrior Premium R2. Or go a step farther and get a quad-die monster like a Jetbeam M1X :D

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I love the Novatac 120P! If you are satisfied with the light levels on the 120E, go for it. If you're not sure exactly what levels you would like, spend the extra and get the 120P. The only thing I don't like about the 120E is that you don't get the low .3 lumen level... unless you do the crazy long easter egg crack.

The problem I ran into when I changed my EDC from a Fenix P3D to the Novatac 120P was a lack of throw, which is the suggestion that Toaster made. My hunt for an EDC-able thrower led me to the Jetbeam III PRO ST. I carry it in a Fenix P3D holster on my belt and the 120P clipped in my pocket. While the extra 2mm in diameter are very different in the hand than the P3D, the footprint of the light on my hip is not much different than the P3D in the same holster. For me, I think I stumbled on a close to perfect combination.

When I go to church or have to dress up, I put my Nitecore D10 on my belt as it is much smaller and the Jet III PRO ST in my bag. As soon as I get a holster that fits the LF3XT well, it will take the place of the D10.

The other reason I like buying crazy programmable lights is that it gives me something to play with... but it usually doesn't keep the itch away for long. :twothumbs

Moka

Enlightened
The other reason I like buying crazy programmable lights is that it gives me something to play with... but it usually doesn't keep the itch away for long. :twothumbs

It hasn't worked for me... :nana:
I've got the 140Cn Clicky... And I'm already looking at different lights LOL :devil::whistle:

pobox1475

Enlightened
you could use a larger light with some serious throw and output to compliment your EDC
I had considered the Jet-III M since I have a 18650 for a H60 that I'm holding off on. Too many issues with the UI. A thrower is definitely on my list :naughty:. I guess technically I don't need another EDC. The Novatac's just seem so attractive. With the E I need to decide if the .3 setting is desireable. I had thought that the 10 low of the E would be sufficient. The ST has it's merits as well. Going with a thrower I would want a large head version for the most throw possible. The M with the hybrid reflector and warm LED is sorta my target. What do you guys think or reccomend in this catagory?

bluecrow76

Enlightened
With the E I need to decide if the .3 setting is desireable. I had thought that the 10 low of the E would be sufficient.

I use the low low setting on my 120P at night a lot. The 120P will actually go down to 0.08 lumens (according to the manual) and that is what I have it set on. It's just enough light to move around the house without bumping into things or hurting toes. An advertised 240 hours of runtime on 0.3 lumens is nice to have also! I don't know if anyone has substantiated that with a runtime test yet. Advertised runtime on 10 lumens is 14 hours.

pobox1475

Enlightened
I'm trying to find images of the 120E and P tail switches. I know they differ and will be the deciding factor. I am leaning toward the versatility of the P and am aware of the 250 click crack for the E and T (which seems tedious). Guess I'd rather have the "low" low and not kick myself later :(.

Toaster

Enlightened
I had considered the Jet-III M since I have a 18650 for a H60 that I'm holding off on. Too many issues with the UI. A thrower is definitely on my list :naughty:. I guess technically I don't need another EDC. The Novatac's just seem so attractive. With the E I need to decide if the .3 setting is desireable. I had thought that the 10 low of the E would be sufficient. The ST has it's merits as well. Going with a thrower I would want a large head version for the most throw possible. The M with the hybrid reflector and warm LED is sorta my target. What do you guys think or reccomend in this catagory?

Jet-III M with warm tint and hybrid reflector is a great all round choice. The warm tint is very pleasing and it's low mode is just about a match for the Novatac 120P :sssh: It's one of my top picks for this class of light. However it's not the best choice if you're looking for the most throw possible. In that case Jet-III Ultra or Olight M20 with smooth reflector are at the top of the heap.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
Technically it may not be the UI. I have heard of blinking and other strange issues when using Li-Ion's.

Interesting. I haven't had my III PRO or III ST long (about 2-3 weeks) but I haven't experienced anything of that nature, unless of course I configure one of the modes to blink! :D I've run them on 18650 cells and 1 x CR123 + 1 x dummy (to verify that they work if all I have are CR123 cells).

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchase low priced lights often to scratch the itch...give them away at christmas or on birthdays. Once a year or so I buy a nice keeper light.

Otherwise I would have spent a bunch on lights in the 100~ 200 lumen range. I don`t need that many of the same general lumen output.

I would need 400+ lumen to be tempted to spend over $60 right now. Any less is just a minor change and less $$$ I have to spend on my "once a year" keeper light.

Norm

Retired Administrator
No problems with my JetBeam III M, could you please quote some of the post noting any problems, your quotes below are the first I've heard of any problems , just praise for this great light.
I had considered the Jet-III M since I have a 18650 for a H60 that I'm holding off on. Too many issues with the UI. A thrower is definitely on my list :naughty:.
Technically it may not be the UI. I have heard of blinking and other strange issues when using Li-Ion's.

pobox1475

Enlightened
However it's not the best choice if you're looking for the most throw possible. In that case Jet-III Ultra
So the appeal of the M with hybrid / warm tint is minimized rings and a natural color presentation viewing objects with diminished throw v.s. Ultra?
Interesting. I haven't had my III PRO or III ST long (about 2-3 weeks) but I haven't experienced anything of that nature
Sorry, I might not have been clear. I was referring to the Zebralight H60 that utilizes a 18650.

Latest posts